• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For the price of a category one pristine NSX what else could you buy?

I'm trying to get a handle on the NSX collectors market and I'm trying to put things into perspective.

For extreme low mileage let's say under 15,000 (or far less) miles and pristine condition I would guess the market is near 70,000 (+/- 10,000)for the early car, 85,000+ (+/- 10,000)for the middle car and approaching 100,000+ (+/- 15,000)for the exposed lights. I'm not a market guru but I'm extrapolating from some real prices that I've seen trading hands online and sites like bring a trailer.

Obviously condition, ownership history and maintenance certainly apply but I'm talking about the best of the best examples ...all maintenance up-to-date, every single sticker screw factory Marks and threads on the original mats, all keys, presentation box, window sticker, factory cruise control hang tag....you get the idea

Putting this into perspective though and looking through different auction sites I can think of several other cars that may be as good or better choices as a drivers car that have yet to start appreciating but may do well in the next decade

The NSX was looking like a pretty good deal when they were hovering in the 40 to 60 range but these new numbers give me pause.

What are other members thoughts as I was thinking for this kind of money I can get into a 997.1 turbo, 997.1 GT three, Audi R8 just to name a few. How about a Ferrari 360 or an early model 430.... even the very early Lamborghini Gallardo's can be had for 100k range

The Audi may be the only thing somewhat close as far as the mid engine format but it must be quite a bit faster and A generation or two ahead in technology etc.

for the current price of the NSX I feel like my S 2000 gives me 90% plus of the driving experience for 33% of the price

This is not bashing as I own a pristine 92 but as I rotate the garage the 92 may have to move in the spring

Your thoughts…

Last edited:
I have run though this question myself.
I think a category 1 NSX is a bit different than the cars you have mentioned simply because it is a collectable and the point would be to not put miles on it.
Except the GT3 none of the others are collectables as a category 1 status. They're simply low mileage late model cars with way more performance and likely higher cost of ownership.
If you're looking for a driver a category 1 NSX is not where it's at.

I bought one recently and thought about similar cars you listed. Maintenance cost was on thing that came to mind, but I got over that. Then I got insurance quotes.... Last, I researched potential depreciation. All in all I figured NSX was my best bet to drive 4k miles a year for 4-5 year and not spend a fortune.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think the The best situation for me would be to get out of this low mile car and get into a higher mileage example I don't mind 50 or 60,000 miles The only issue been I've noticed that trying to get some parts for the 92 for back up some of the parts are beginning to become discontinued and I think this poses a problem in maintaining and keeping this for a long time into the future I think it's completely different situation compared to the old 911 era code which has much more strong aftermarket parts and support given the higher production numbers And the sharing of many parts between the 911, 912 and turbo variants....if market hold strong I think spring time will be the time to test out how strong the early cars are in the low miles

I think the market forces will play a roll.... more low mileage cars are coming up for sale because they are commanding more money as the nsx market heats up..those cars are being bought by folks who will not drive them too much and can afford numerous cars....the folks selling those low mile cars may in turn buy a higher mile nsx to drive because they miss the experience of the more precious example...and pocket some cash ....so the the market force will be a flushing of the lower miles cars , with a higher churn of higher mile drivers lifting all prices.

when it comes to figuring out what your next used car will be .....only you can answer that.I would have a chat next time you are at a cars and coffee with owners of the 360/430, to get real world experience.If you are not a wrench, than proximity to a good repair/maintenance facility becomes very important for exotic ownership...

I think lots of folks have run into this question. For me, the issue of parts availability will most likely be a show stopper: I just can't get my head around spending $40K or more on a car with 100k miles (or more) on the clock and having to scour the galaxy to find bushings or wire harnesses or other odds and ends that may fail due to nothing other than normal age/wear on account of the car being no less than 20 years old (in my price range).

It's kind of a sad reality, since the NSX is the only car I really every "wanted" to own. Though, honestly, if I had NSX money, I'd seriously consider a C7 Grand Sport as an alternative.

I would have a chat next time you are at a cars and coffee with owners of the 360/430, to get real world experience....

I agree with one caveat, I'd talk with PREVIOUS 360/430 owners...current owners are less likely to tell you the downside.
As for looking for a good/better choice for a "driver's car"...my experience is that I can enjoy 9/10th out of my supercharged NSX during weekend driving (backroads, etc...) and the tactile feedback is about as good as it gets.

I think lots of folks have run into this question. For me, the issue of parts availability will most likely be a show stopper: I just can't get my head around spending $40K or more on a car with 100k miles (or more) on the clock and having to scour the galaxy to find bushings or wire harnesses or other odds and ends that may fail due to nothing other than normal age/wear on account of the car being no less than 20 years old (in my price range).

It's kind of a sad reality, since the NSX is the only car I really every "wanted" to own. Though, honestly, if I had NSX money, I'd seriously consider a C7 Grand Sport as an alternative.
40k for 100k miles. It's funny how some look at it. There are plenty of new Corvettes. Corvette is a great car.

+1

This was very well said. I'm also mindful of the parts availability issue. I don't mind hunting around for parts (to a point), but if it becomes too much of a problem/hassle, I'll sadly sell the car and get something else.

Last edited:
40k for 100k miles. It's funny how some look at it. There are plenty of new Corvettes. Corvette is a great car.

What am I missing?

When I first learned about the NSX back around 2001, a 10-year old car with 5 digits on the odo would go for $25-35k. That price dipped ever so slightly a little while later, and then they appreciated. Since I am the type to drive my cars and not let them sit in the garage 90% of the year, I'd need something that can handle anything I throw at it from a daily commute to a 3,000-mile road trip. Ideally, the NSX would (have been) my 3rd car that I would frequently take out on the weekends for no other reason than to just drive it, with the occasional (perhaps weekly) commute to work where it would double as a conversation piece with my coworkers.

I don't have a problem with aftermarket solutions, but, even the car I have now is 7 years younger than any NSX I'd be "likely" to own, and parts can be hard to get. My window sash broke on my 98 Chevy and I lucked out to find the part (that the dealer could not source) at a junk yard in Georgia and had to have it shipped to AZ. And my car is/was extremely common. For a car as rare and special as the NSX, I just wonder... what do you do when you can't source a part...?

^ you source it in Japan. There are no problems with NSX that cannot be solved at the moment. There are either aftermarket solutions or OEM replacement. It's pretty simple basic vehicle. Hand made Honda with great reliability. All you need is to get driven and maintained example. Stay away from anything that was abused.

Back