• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For those with Super Chargers!

Hey,

I have a question for those of you with superchargers on your NSX. Does the supercharger whin as it spools like a turbo? I heard a....get this....a Toyota camery with a supercharger and it screemed as it spooled up. I thought it sounded so awsome. Just currious if it does that also with the Comptech and other supercharger kits??!?!

------------------

I've always found the 1 negative about the SC is that you lose that great sound the NSX has. The music disappears and is replaced with a whine. Of course, I would take the power over the sound myself, but IMO you lose that great sound the NSX is known for.

Hey,

I think that is awsome you can hear them spool. Question for the guy that said "get a turbo". I drive a turbo car right now, I love the sound of it spooling. Why do you say get a turbo over a super??? I am very currious!

------------------

Originally posted by Flexer:
Hey, I think that is awsome you can hear them spool. Question for the guy that said "get a turbo". I drive a turbo car right now, I love the sound of it spooling. Why do you say get a turbo over a super??? I am very currious!

I find the turbo sounds complimentary and the SC annoying. But then I'm biased.

Yah but lets be honost here for a second. Other than the ability to be upgraded to a stronger performing system. I am currious as to which people think is:

A. sounds better?

B. More reliable?

C. Is best for a 6 cyl Vtec engine?

Originally posted by Flexer:
Yah but lets be honost here for a second. Other than the ability to be upgraded to a stronger performing system. I am currious as to which people think is:

A. sounds better?

B. More reliable?

C. Is best for a 6 cyl Vtec engine?

Actually, if done right the first time (the Basch unit may be the first SC to qualify) either one will achieve the max safe limit of a stock bottom end, so any upgrade for more HP would require major modifications anyway. However, the turbos are easily adjusted within the safe range depending on conditions, fuel supply, or just your needs.

Besides being adjustable, I prefer the turbo for several theoretical and subjective reasons:

~ More efficient. An SC has parasitic losses. If your stock block can safely generate say 425 hp, then whatever the SC consumes is HP you can't put to the wheels.

~ Generates boost only when it's needed. The SC boost is determined by RPM, not load. Does it matter in terms of wear & tear? I don't really know, but more stress and harder work (to turn the SC) can't be a good thing.

~ With the right turbos, boost can come up faster than the existing SC systems. The Basch may have closed that gap, but I doubt it will make full boost as early under many circumstances such as mid RPM up a hill where turbos excel. That's not seen on a dyno chart, but I'll wave as I go by.

~ Turbo systems are easy to intercool. Not a huge issue at the modest boost levels involved, but still a very good thing on a hot day or when running hard for an extended time.

~ I find the appearance of the SC systems unpleasant on an NSX, but from the pics I've seen, the Basch system is at least a big improvement.

~ I've wondered about the weight difference, but at the least the SC adds it's weight much higher up than the TT which is bad. (But yes, farther forward which is a good thing.)

~ And as I've said, I think turbos sound better.

I'm sold, again.

Oh yea, if you run them hard enough, turbos will glow nicely.
cool.gif

Reliability? If installed and maintained properly the units themselves should be pretty equal I wouldn't consider replacing the SC belt occasionally a significant factor. I'd use the self-lubricated and ball bearing turbos when possible.

As for which is better on our engines, I'm not sure the engine itself is a major factor. The V design complicates turbo plumbing, but also makes dual small turbos a nice option. According to some old dyno tests, the NSX with turbos benefits from the exhaust for the two sides being kept separate all the way out.

The only force induction I'm putting on my car is something like the factory turbo system on the NSX GT1
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

But the Basch boost system SC sold by Scienceofspeed is certainly a great choice, the best choice perhaps.

------------------
G Dummy

Back