• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Found Oil Leak While Inspecting Timing Belt & Changing Clutch Slave

What do you mean? It's just a taper thread plug, there is no conical seal involved. I'm fairly certain it is a 3/8" BSPT plug so no need to over complicate things, you can either use teflon pipe tape, Hondabond, or Permatex makes a thread sealant that would work as well.
I guess you are correct about the taper thread plug. The first turns go easily, the next ones increase resistance.

Looks like the 'notification' email feature of the forum software is not working so the 'mention' won't be noticed and I didn't realise that I had PM from many users.

At the factory, the thread lock was pre-applied to this sealing bolt.

Years ago, someone (I think it was Procar Specials) asked me about the replacement or how to re-seal it as he was experiencing the seepage from the same place.
The smaller one is on the parts list but not the larger one so had to be re-used.

I normally use liquid gasket at the upper half of the thread.

Kaz

Looks like the 'notification' email feature of the forum software is not working so the 'mention' won't be noticed and I didn't realise that I had PM from many users.

At the factory, the thread lock was pre-applied to this sealing bolt.

Years ago, someone (I think it was Procar Specials) asked me about the replacement or how to re-seal it as he was experiencing the seepage from the same place.
The smaller one is on the parts list but not the larger one so had to be re-used.

I normally use liquid gasket at the upper half of the thread.

Kaz
I also don't get any notes anymore and moreoverthis I'm running out of space for uploading pics. :)

I didn't even find the smaller one in the parts catalog. I've tried to loose it, but it didn't move. So I hope the smaller one is not the culprit of the oil leak.

What torque is used on them? After about 4 turns it starts to self-lock.

I'll re-seal the hell out of it, screw and threads. Loctite 574.

Last edited:
ScienceOfSpeed recommends using Hondabond HT sealant on the threads in their adapter kits that thread into these plugs.

Permatex makes a thread sealant for this purpose as well, #59214 .

I wouldn't use 574, that's a flange sealant for a different purpose.

As for the torque, Honda does not supply torque specs for those plugs. A good rule of thumb is "turns past finger tight", I'd be fairly conservative and go 3/4-1 turn (270-360 degrees) past finger tight, but that's just me, I'd wait to see if Kaz has any input here.

Last edited:
It's tapered and the thread contact/connection heavily depends on the surface treatment.

Not ideal using torque figure that relies on the axial force because it can change under multiple factors.

Every time when you loosen it, you are changing the surface condition so next time when you tighten it, it will end up with different position/angle.
The material you use (PTFE, liquid gasket, etc) would result in changing the surface condition.

I normally tighten it to the point where I suddenly get huge increase in tightening force (again it's tapered, well beyond the finger-tight state) and from there, another 60 - 90deg.
Just snag fit is enough and no massive force required.

You just need to practice it using something else such as the air tool fitting, pressure sensor fitting, etc.
Don't over tighten it as you could crack the mating side.

If never done, probably finger tight method is better but the starting point really has to be the 'finger tight'.

I think widely known sequence is 2 - 3 turn from there but personally, I prefer the above method.

Kaz

Thanks very much, Kaz.

Just installed it today. 4 turns until finger-tight, another full turn or 360 degrees. Guessed torque maybe 25-30 Nm.

Hope it's dry now.

20210306_143949(0).JPG

Thanks very much, Kaz.

Just installed it today. 4 turns until finger-tight, another full turn or 360 degrees. Guessed torque maybe 25-30 Nm.

Hope it's dry now.

View attachment 168879

I can't recall if I checked if those threaded plugs were loose but now it seems a bit silly that I wouldn't have if I was already in the area. My car is still under the car cover for the last few days of winter but I'll have a peak at those threaded plugs when I do the oil change. Hopefully it's all still dry.

Hopefully yours holds.

I can't recall if I checked if those threaded plugs were loose but now it seems a bit silly that I wouldn't have if I was already in the area. My car is still under the car cover for the last few days of winter but I'll have a peak at those threaded plugs when I do the oil change. Hopefully it's all still dry.

Hopefully yours holds.
Thanks, I hope so too.

It's not easy to detect them leaking. It could also be the cam plugs or the edge of the valve cover.

Back