• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

From "Brian aka ub2slw" : I need A LOT of advice on performance parts and other....

(Please note: I am posting this on behalf of "Brian" aka "ub2slw". He has signed up for nsxprime but has not yet been "approved" and asked me to post this for him. Please direct any comments to him and not me. -Bob)

Well I am now the proud owner of a brilliant red 93 NSX with 90k on the
clock. After an oil analysis (PERFECT!) and an inspection at my local NSX,
the dealer quoted me for the following service that the car needs: Clutch
$1,400 ; TB&WP Replaced $1,200 ; Inner Axle Boot Kit $350 ; Cam Plugs $350
(Are these easy to do myself?)

In addition I want to increase performance so I'm considering adding the
following when I'm having the service done:
Comptech Stage 2 Clutch
Comptech Short Gears
Comptech 4.55:1 R&P

Here is where I need advice:

For the 5-7k that I'm going to spend is this combination going to give the
biggest bang for my buck?
When it comes time to sell the car do these add value? (I know most prefer
and virgin car so instead of paying 35-37 for a stock car would you consider
paying 38-40 for one with gears and the 4.55 R&P???)
Should I get the Comptech Rebuilt box w/ the R&P gear for 5k that way when
it comes time to sell the car I save on the labor that it would cost to open
the tranny to de-install the short gears?

Additional Info
I plan to keep the car for a year MAYBE two before buying a newer one with
the 3.2L engine so keep that in mind. If I do ONLY the service that it
needs, I'm into the car for 30k and I could easily sell it for 35-37 and
make 5-7k. I like that idea, however I'm a performance nut and want the
best of both worlds. So if I get the performance parts I'm into the car for
around 35k.

When it comes time to sell the car do these add value?

As a general rule, no. Certain mods may add (but only a portion of the money spent on them), while many others will actually detract from the value of the car. I was looking at a car today with significant mods that would be worth more without them.

However, if you save the original parts, you can restore the car to stock and sell the mods separately, and get something for them (although again, nowhere near what you paid for them).

Bottom line: Assume that you are not going to get back whatever you spend on the mods. Is it worth it for you to spend this money for the additional enjoyment you'll get during the year or two you own the car? If yes, then get them; if you're more concerned about getting the money back that you spend on them, then don't spend it.

If you are only going to keep the car for one or two years, I would suggest getting a supercharger. This way when you switch to the new car you can pull it off and install on the new one.

You will end up with more performance and the normal gears work much better with the added torque.

There is no way you are going to get anywhere near the amount you would spend on the upgrades and this option should work out for you.

One thing though, contact Mark Basch and see if the 3.0 supercharger that he is soon to be selling will work on the 3.2 cars.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by flaminio:
Cam Plugs $350 (Are these easy to do myself?)

All your cam plugs are leaking? I'd be suspect if this were true. I can see replacing them on one head but the odds of them leaking on both heads seems remote. Getting to them is a pain and requires a deal of skill as the cam rails have to come off and be cleaned (like 30 bolts to torque in sequence) and at least one little o-ring will need to be replaced on the rails.

Honestly, i'd verify that they are leaking before having this done.

i'd do a valve clearance check afterwards too.

man, the more i think about it, the more replacing these DIY with the timing belt on frightens me. I’d let a pro do it and preferably someone who’s been around the NSX engine before.

DanO

Originally posted by flaminio for ub2slw Brian:
...In addition I want to increase performance so I'm considering adding the
following...

Most of the cost recovery considerations have been reviewed here. In the end I'd suggest more clarity in what the desired "increased performance" objectives are, then target a program to get there within your budget.

IMO
- R&P WILL give you snappier off-the-line performance (possibly at the expense of marginally reduced top-end speed, increased gas consumption, and possibly more NVH)... but hey what the hey, right?
- short gears allow you to (IMO) put the VTEC sweet-spot into more usable (read: street-legal) speeds. IOW, you will see more VTEC on the street... adds to fun factor (again, mileage at mid/high VTEC isn't probably the best, but you're already buying a 90+ hp/liter 2-seater, so saving dead Barneys is probably low on your list
- the CT stage 2 clutch is NOT a bad idea, if your OEM clutch is bad. Aftermarket clutches tend to be grabbier, at the expense of some of the cushier feeling of the OEM unit.

Doing them all at the same time allows you to optimize your labor costs, and just do one tear-down/putback on your transmission. It would be $$$ to do them separately

From experience, you will rarely, if ever, recover the monetary investment on your mods when you sell them later (whether with the car or as parts).

However, IF the mods give you the superior/enhanced driving experience you desire (and only you can be the judge of this), then they DO have good payback IMO.

Originally posted by flaminio for you-be-slow Brian:
... For the 5-7k that I'm going to spend is this combination going to give the
biggest bang for my buck?

You typically DON'T de-install the short gears and R&P. IMO the labor cost is tough to justify.

FWIW, I think the 4.55 R&P might be defer-able. Alternately you might consider the (relatively) cheaper NSX-R 4.23 R&P instead.

For $5-7K I'd suggest you get:
- short gears
- a nice loud exhaust
- better brake pads
- a good helmet, and some track driver ed seat time
- maybe some cool-looking aftermarket wheels (to each his own)

If you're really an individualist, try on a set of Antera Type 109 wheels too

smile.gif

Here's another way of putting this. Going back to your statement:

If I do ONLY the service that it
needs, I'm into the car for 30k and I could easily sell it for 35-37 and
make 5-7k. I like that idea, however I'm a performance nut and want the
best of both worlds. So if I get the performance parts I'm into the car for
around 35k.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that everything you say here is right. Without putting the mods on, you're into the car for $30K and you can sell it for $35-37K. Putting the mods on, you're into the car for $35K. HERE'S THE KEY QUESTION: Suppose you find that, after putting the mods on and driving the car for a year, you can sell it only for $35K. How will you feel: (a) Glad that you enjoyed the performance of the mods for that year? Or (b) sorry that you spent $5K that you're never going to see again? Let this determine your decision.

Back