• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Front end diffuser... a qualitative analysis

Ok.. for those who remember.. a while ago I made a front end diffuser for my car..... at the speeds I was seeing on the track I don't think it was making any difference... Well I've been getting a little faster and have finally had the chance to do a little experimenting.. (like Jeff A's brake experiment.. :wink: )

Anywho... on the back straight at VIR I've been getting rather close to 140... at the top of the hill I've noticed that the car starts to feel 'lofty'...

The idea was this:
If you increase the air in the front but do not let it out in the rear just as fast... do you end up with front end lift? Well as a note.. I do not have a vented hood...

So.. in the middle of the day I decided to remove the diffuser... and much to my surprise...

The car felt solid as a rock on the same stretch.. same speed...

Now I know this is all purely based on 'feel'... but I just thought I would give my results to everyone.. it was a rather interesting find.

x

OLDE GUY said:
Xavier - Which course were you driving? Full? Are you speaking of the straight after "oak tree" turn or after the rolly coaster and "hog pen" turn? Bill

Bill,

I hit the same speed on both straights but have found that this 'phenomina' occurs mainly on the back straight after oak tree.... I'm thinking it's b/c of the uphill...

Andrie Hartanto said:
the problem is the air that go through the radiator has no clear way to go. Get a vented hood and try again.

Andrie,

I completely agree with that also... Mark Hicks had mentioned the same thing when we looked at this...

thanks a bunch,

x

Last edited:
Back