• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Front Hood Alignment

I recently noticed that my hood is slightly elevated on the driver side relative to front beak. Otherwise, hood seems to be flush with other body panels. Please see picture below.

I think it's around 2mm or so and I was curious if this is normal or needs to be aligned somehow. Thanks

InkedIMG_3950_LI.jpgIMG_3949.jpg

Last edited:
You can actually do the adjustment yourself very easily. If you open the hood you will see 2 black rubber hood bumpers on the underside of the hood. These screw in or out and determine the resting position of your hood when closed. So you would want to screw the hood bumper in a little bit on the side that is too high.

You can actually do the adjustment yourself very easily. If you open the hood you will see 2 black rubber hood bumpers on the underside of the hood. These screw in or out and determine the resting position of your hood when closed. So you would want to screw the hood bumper in a little bit on the side that is too high.

Kim2017NSX - thanks so much. I will give it a shot later today and report back.

Quick update. I tried moving the bumper in a bit ( I think clockwise to tighten) and it didn't really change. Just to confirm, you don't remove these bumper to adjust but just turn clockwise to shorten or to make the gap smaller on the driver side?

IMG_3966.jpg

Yes, it's trial and error to get the fit you want and you can play with both sides accordingly (raising one side and lowering the other) to get the alignment you want.
Thanks. I may just leave it to the experts as I've opened the hood one too many times already! :)

One more question - does adjusting bumps only affect the height at the bottom of the hood, or does it also change the gap along the sides between fender/hood? I don't want to screw up something else while trying to fix such a minor alignment issue.

Last edited:
To me, the hood looks like it's aligned perfectly, it's the beak that is off on one side. You might find that the driver's side beak is actually perfect and the passenger side is too high. Or, the other way around as you suspect. I'd compare your NSX to other NSX's first, then go from there.

To me, the hood looks like it's aligned perfectly, it's the beak that is off on one side. You might find that the driver's side beak is actually perfect and the passenger side is too high. Or, the other way around as you suspect. I'd compare your NSX to other NSX's first, then go from there.
You may be right... I've been looking at pictures of cars for sale and most of them appear to be even.

FYI, depending on how you close the hood affects the left and right gaps.

That's interesting powdbyrice... I only noticed this gap after opening the front hood for the first time. I tried to push down the hood from about 12" and seems to latch properly so not sure what I can do differently. When I gently drop, the hood wouldn't latch.

Last edited:
Interesting. Mine hood is slightly off but it's the gap to the left and right (not height). I just assumed it was due to some of the hand-building since it's a low production. Can that be adjusted too?

There are a couple of rubber bumpers that are towards the front right and left side that can rotate changing how the bumper fits. They do not tighten like the screw bumpers. One could be off. Another way to tell if the screw bumpers are off is after the hood closes successfully gently press on each side and feel if it gives any. The side that gives a bit can be adjusted by turning out the bumper stop and vice verse. You should not have an uneven gap between the right side and left side of the hood in relationship to the fenders. These cars may be hand built, but they were crafts people not unskilled labor.

drmanny - are these bumps the same one's that I took pictures above or are they located elsewhere like not attached to the hood but on the chassis?

they are on the body near where the edge of the hood comes into contact with the fender. They are rectangular looking rather then round. They can rotate so you want to make sure both sides are where they should be. If you go to the Facebook second gen NSX, there was a fellow having trouble closing the hood. I posted some pics. It is so much easier to post pics there then on this forum.

242433816_10208971101992838_5940615248199732679_n.jpg

I believe this is the picture... now how do I adjust this? Looks to be stationary/fixed.

why does that look so beat-up?

There are a couple of rubber bumpers that are towards the front right and left side that can rotate changing how the bumper fits. They do not tighten like the screw bumpers. One could be off. Another way to tell if the screw bumpers are off is after the hood closes successfully gently press on each side and feel if it gives any. The side that gives a bit can be adjusted by turning out the bumper stop and vice verse. You should not have an uneven gap between the right side and left side of the hood in relationship to the fenders. These cars may be hand built, but they were crafts people not unskilled labor.

So if I'm reading these posts correctly the hood CAN be adjusted slightly to the left and right?

why does that look so beat-up?

hey I resent that. It does get squeezed a bit. It can twist 180 degrees. As far as moving the hood to the left or right I would leave that to a skilled body shop. You have to be really careful.

:redface: oops

Back