• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Front license plate

To those of you in Washington, I was wondering about putting a front license plate on my NSX. Obviously, it doesn't look nearly as good as without the front plate. If you don't use a front plate, have you ever gotten a ticket for it? If so, how much was the ticket? If not, how many years have you gone without the front plate?

I got pulled over in Glendale Cali just for the license plate...nothing else. it was the night of the fires in stevenson ranch in october a few years back...i think it was 2003 or 2004...anyways, got pulled over, put a plate on temporarily for the sherriff to check out..then drove down the street and pulled it off...total cost, $30 or so for the inspection fees....hours out of my life, 5 hours i will never get back lol...

Neither of my cars has a front plate. I've gone for 3 years without on the NSX and almost 2 years before that on my 350z.

I've never been pulled over...but who knows...could just be luck.

I think science of speed sells a stealth kit...it folds up and away until you need it. I've been thinking about getting it since my luck will probably run out soon.

A cop has to be pretty bored to pull you over for the plate...but if you drive around the East Side I'd imagine you might have it happen sooner than later.

Or if you "cruise" a local spot like Alki beach.

Don't really know about Washington but in California I've talked with CHP guys and they told me they wouldn't pull me over. All of them have said it would ruin the lines of my car and they use the no front plate to pull over a vehicle that is under suspect. I've gone five years without a front plate.

On the other hand, parking police in San Francisco will give you a ticket for no front plate in a heart beat.

In California it a "fix it ticket" so no real fine.

Take the risk. It looks goofy with a front plate,

In California times are changing. Many cities have installed red light cameras that take pictures of your car as you "bust" a red light. Because they need the license plate number to make the ticket stick, the front plate has become an issue. I have heard, not experienced, that it is no longer a "fixit ticket". The fine increases if you get stopped a second or third time. That being said, I have gone without a front plate for 12 years. Hoping my luck holds. Ron

I got a "photo" ticket in my DD which also doesn't have a front plate. They got the license number from the photo of my rear plate. There was no citation added for the lack of one on the front.

No front license plate on 4 cars I've owned/used in the last 3 years. Never looked back.

I can't tell you how many of those communists camera snapshot aparatus speeding signs tickets I didn't receive.

Last edited:
In California times are changing. Many cities have installed red light cameras that take pictures of your car as you "bust" a red light. Because they need the license plate number to make the ticket stick, the front plate has become an issue. I have heard, not experienced, that it is no longer a "fixit ticket". The fine increases if you get stopped a second or third time. That being said, I have gone without a front plate for 12 years. Hoping my luck holds. Ron

I think what you have heard is not accurate. I just got my first no-plate ticket after 4 years of ownership. I was parked in a permit-only (still public though) Palo Alto parking structure. They went through the whole structure that day, because I know of others who got hit simultaneously.

Fortunately, it's still just a fixit ticket (75$ or 10$ with correction). 5200 C.V.C.

-Josh

Stuffed my plate in the grill, only because Johnny Law would not let me B:rolleyes:
NSX049.jpg

Back