• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fuel consumption, GOOD?

I think it's really good, I'm getting about 21MPG this is mainly city driving. Last tank (15 gallons) I got 310 miles, this tank, still 1/8 tank to go I'm already at 315, this last tank I had some freeway miles. I think the tank size is 18 gallons? So when you are on "E" you still have 3 gallons to go??? I think for a
400+ HP car this mileage is damn good!! What do you guys think? Mods: Bell Twin turbo.

Thats right at what i get on average...

depending on how hard i drive it!

How much did the bell TT run u for the full setup??

Thanks, -E

Runutzzzz-

Where do you get your engine work done around here. Since you have a new(er) engine in your car after blowing the proevious, I am assuming you had the turbo work done somewhere in the area. Just curious who you trust to handle your animal. By the way I would love to be a passenger for a quick drive at some point.

At maximum dynamic pressure both the Shuttle and the NSX get bad gas mileage.
On the highway you should be able to go 400 miles on a tank of gas with 40 miles to spare.

Originally posted by Sig:
Runutzzzz-

...By the way I would love to be a passenger for a quick drive at some point.

Me too...
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Sig:
Runutzzzz-

Where do you get your engine work done around here. Since you have a new(er) engine in your car after blowing the proevious, I am assuming you had the turbo work done somewhere in the area. Just curious who you trust to handle your animal. By the way I would love to be a passenger for a quick drive at some point.

I put the turbos back on my self. I do most of my work myself.

Originally posted by David:
I am getting about 21 mpg at 80 mph on the highway with my turbo motor. Drops pretty dramatically when I get on it, though.

I averaged 10 MPG at the track, no turbo or supercharger. On the other hand, my Range Rover gets 13 MPG in normal day to day driving. Amazing difference in efficiency.

Amazing difference in efficiency.

I get ~9 mpg on the track, 19-24 mpg around town, and 27 mpg on a long trip. Not much difference in smiles per gallon in these numbers...
biggrin.gif

Something doesn't make sense - while I do 99% city driving, I'm never in traffic either. Stock Y2K NSX.

Always average about 200 miles / tank, from full to gas light on. So 200 / 15 gallons gives me little over 13mpg. Actually I thought that wasn't too bad. This is a stock NSX.

I'm a way more sedate driver than most Civic and Mustang owners, so it can't be that.

Do you guys ever exceed 3,000 rpm?
smile.gif

Something doesn't make sense - while I do 99% city driving, I'm never in traffic either. Stock Y2K NSX.

Always average about 200 miles / tank, from full to gas light on. So 200 / 15 gallons gives me little over 13mpg. Actually I thought that wasn't too bad. This is a stock NSX.

I think there's something wrong with your car. Seriously. Even if it's all city driving, your mileage should be at least 17-18 mpg.

Unless you've got 23-inch wheels and the 200 miles on your odometer is really 270 miles traveled...
smile.gif

Do you guys ever exceed 3,000 rpm?
smile.gif

Totally unrelated, but that comment reminds me of when I told my girlfriends grandpa that I had just bought a 97 Mustang GT. He asked me why the heck I went and did that. I looked him straight in the eye and said "To go slow of course."

For the record, I don't think he believes me >
smile.gif

I average 17.5mpg. I've never got more than 20mpg on my NSX. All driving done is city and freeway mixed. I don't particularily drive my hard either.

I average 22 to 24 mpg with 60% rural hi-way, 30%-40mph light city and 10% city. Mixed driving styles depending on the mood
smile.gif
Best was 27+ mostly interstate at 80mph+-. 97 NSX-t.

For the life of my 2000, I've been averaging around 16. On tanks dominated by my commute to and from work via surface streets (which is most of the time), I get anywhere between 14.5 and 17mpg. When I take good lengthy drives on the freeway, I'll get around 20mpg (I have gotten as high as 24mpg...but only once).

SO I usually find myself heading to the station whenever the travel meter hits around 250 miles (but well over 300 when I've been freeway driving). And I've noticed I'm almost always putting in 15.5 gallons (I guess because I head to the station shortly after my fuel light stays on steady)!

Though the numbers are lower than I initially expected, they have been very consistent. When I drive in traffic, I usually limit the RPMs to around 3000. But I do tend to ride her up to the red line whenever the opportunity presents itself.

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 20 April 2001).]

I've found I get a dramatic difference between highway & city.

97 NSX-T
City/street driving I average 13ish mpg. Highway driving I can get 20mpg or more depending on weight of my right foot.

City driving:
I usually fill up around the 220 mile mark. Only get a chance to floor the car ever so often, and never for long, since it's street driving.

Am guessing the key area that is hurting me is the shift point. I rarely manage my 1-2 shift by 3000rpm, usually by the time I get going it's around 4000. Which puts the 2-3 shift close to 4000 too. It's only when I shift to 4th that shifting at 3000rpm "feels right".

Keep in mind this is a 6 speed. If you want to shift at/around 3000rpm, you'd be in 4th by ~39mph! That's 10mph per shift. Rate of shifting just feels too quick for me (as soon as I've shifted into 1 gear at 3000rpm, I'm ready to shift to the next very quickly after). So, I naturally tend to prolong the shift to the 4000rpm point, it just feels more natural. Am gonna experiment with forcing myself to shift at 3000rpm to see the impact.

Marc

Maybe the 3.2 gets much worse mileage than the 3.0?

My 92 gets 26mpg when doing mostly highway, 21 - 23 mixed and 19 - 20 mostly city. I have 82k miles on the car too.

I drive my car pretty hard and red line it a few times every time I drive it.

With my '94 I average 270-315 miles per tank with a fill up of 13.7-14.9 gallons respectively. I frequently hit 7000-8000rpms, and I usually stay out of fifh until I'm at 80-90 mph. The only time I get less mileage is when I track the car. I've also noticed that I get better mileage with Amoco and better performance with Chevron.

My NSX came with an HKS exhaust and some kind of chip if that means anything?

[This message has been edited by Dr.Lane (edited 21 April 2001).]

I am getting 20-21 mpg with a lot of stop and go mixed with 80-90mph on the freeways here. Going over the Sunol grade at the wrong time keeps me in the 10-25 mph range, if that sometimes. The main thing is I love to get it into higher RPM's when I can and listen to the sound behind my head. Sweeeet! I don't think it's the 3.2 engine. Never ever been down to 13 mpg. Something must be wrong there.

------------------
1NSX2GO
97 NSX-T, 6-spd, Red/Onyx, SP9000's, rest is stock

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
...So 200 / 15 gallons gives me little over 13mpg....

I think there's something wrong with your car. Seriously. Even if it's all city driving, your mileage should be at least 17-18 mpg....

Hmmm... Unless someone has been siphoning my tank, Ive seen several < 17 mpg spans in the past few months of city driving as well. These usually are composed of a lot of short 2-5 mile trips to work or to local stores.

Ive been surprised on several occassions when I put 15 gallons in and get less than 230 miles out of it (something like 15 mpg).

Ive just found the thermostat was faulty so Im going to see if that raises the mileage above 16.

Back