• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fuel injector cleaner?

I used the Chevron stuff from Costco (6 bottle per box). One bottle/1000 miles as instructed in the direction.

I've been using the Techron Concentrate (not the ProGard) for years in various cars. There was a paper out years ago about fuel system cleaners and Techron and BG44K were the only ones to show an effect on the system, mostly in cleaning the tiny passages for the injectors. Use it right before an oil change, run a full tank of fuel through. I do it once a year, don't know that any more often is necessary or any more effective. If you use Chevron gas, it's already in there in a much more diluted form.

Advance Auto/Partsamerica put's it on sale about every other month at about half price so it ends up being $3.50 a bottle. I always clean out the local store when that happens.

I've been using the Techron Concentrate (not the ProGard) for years in various cars. There was a paper out years ago about fuel system cleaners and Techron and BG44K were the only ones to show an effect on the system, mostly in cleaning the tiny passages for the injectors. Use it right before an oil change, run a full tank of fuel through. I do it once a year, don't know that any more often is necessary or any more effective. If you use Chevron gas, it's already in there in a much more diluted form.

Advance Auto/Partsamerica put's it on sale about every other month at about half price so it ends up being $3.50 a bottle. I always clean out the local store when that happens.[/quote

You use it once year and regardless how many miles you put the car?

Advance Auto/Partsamerica put's it on sale about every other month at about half price so it ends up being $3.50 a bottle. I always clean out the local store when that happens.[/quote

You use it once year and regardless how many miles you put the car?

Yes, I do. The car will probably sit for six months out of the year as we do get winter weather here. Then it will get about 3000 miles in the other six months. I figure the Techron helps remove whatever build up comes from the storage phase even though I always put stabilizer in my cars before winter storage.

In my daily driver Miata, I put a bottle in before every second oil change (6,000 miles) which is about every four to five months.

Techron works,i have seen the test results from a Major auto manu. who sells these results to other auto manu. (these are actually considered security documents) . with the advent of port fuel injection a problem that we have not seen for 30 yrs. came back === coking (carbonizing)on the intake valves , this stuff will clean them .

OK, I was aware of both Techron and BG44K, but why use BEFORE an oil change and not right after? What is the key issue?

Hi Hrant,

When you use this product you will get some blow-by during the cleaning process. This blow-by goes directly into the oil. That is why you should do it just before you are due for an oil change. Clean engine, Fresh oil:).

Regards,
LarryB

I started using the BG44 in our Yukon and noticed a measurable difference in fuel economy (2 miles a gallon).

FWIW, I used Chevron Techron in all of our cars once a quarter.

I never used injector cleaner stuff. Is it really worth it or just a waste of money?

Sounds like Techron is the way to go.

Is Techron available in any brick and mortar stores besides Costco (I don't have a membership there)? I found it at amazon.com. 6 Pack of 12oz bottles for $39 + $7.75 shipping. About $7.70 per bottle.

Last edited:
Back