• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Full EV not kicking in

I know the "why and when" the full EV kicks in is a bit unclear, but these past 2 days I've noticed it has not kicked in whatsoever when in Sprot or Quiet Mode. For example, I just drove 10 miles in Sport and it idled at 1K RPM's at every stop. The Charge Assist appears to be working and the battery indicator shows full.

I'll keep an eye on it over the next couple of days but in the meantime, wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this?

Ok, so interesting thing I learned by accident...

I was stopped at a red-light and was idling at 1K RPM's in Sport Mode. I hit the On/Off, button for the climate control and the engine immediately shut off and I was in full EV. When I turned the climate control back on, it stayed in EV. I drove a couple blocks in EV until I got above 40 MPH when the ICE kicked in. At the next red-light, it was idling again at 1K RPM's. I turned off the climate control again, and it immediately went to full EV. 🤷*♂️

Ok, so I think I figured this out...but it would be helpful if someone could test on their car.

If either the driver OR passenger temperature is set to "Hi" the car will not engage in full EV while driving or stopped. As soon I drop the temp down to the next lower setting (87 I think), full EV kicks on and off as normal.

I've tested this now a half dozen times and it did it every time. My guess is it's normal, but still very strange!

There isn't a "full EV" mode... just a "quiet" mode...

🤦*♂️ it's close enough to full EV and I think people will get my point. Thanks for the helpful post.

Interesting observations. I do not believe that the car’s heater is run via the traction battery. Having said that I know that the air conditioning compressor is run by the traction battery as it is electrical. So perhaps in high heat mode, the system prevents the car from operating in electric only. When I get my car back from service I will give it a try. It must be really cold where you are to have the system in high heat.

Interesting observations. I do not believe that the car’s heater is run via the traction battery. Having said that I know that the air conditioning compressor is run by the traction battery as it is electrical. So perhaps in high heat mode, the system prevents the car from operating in electric only. When I get my car back from service I will give it a try. It must be really cold where you are to have the system in high heat.

Thanks for the insight and for testing it when you get your car back! While it was set to high heat (I must have just left it that way from a week ago when it was 35-40 degrees), the blower was on the lowest setting so it wasn't even heating up the inside of the car much.

I was driving in EV mode and I changed the climate to high (hot) and no change, the car continued in EV mode. I did the same thing again and switched to Lo (cold) and no impact, the car remained in EV mode. I did not try just driving in sport with the engine running and the temp set to either Lo or Hot to see if it would then go into EV mode.

Last edited:
From the manual:

Auto Engine Stop/Start

Your vehicle’s gasoline engine will automatically stop and start during vehicle operation as needed to meet driving and battery conditions.These are some examples that could cause the gasoline engine to automatically start.In the following cases, however, Auto Engine Stop may not activate.
● When the Integrated Dynamics System is in SPORT+ mode or TRACK mode.
● The vehicle momentarily needs additional power for aggressive acceleration, or driving uphill or at high speed.
● The climate control system is in heavy use.
● The High Voltage battery temperature is high or low.
● The High Voltage battery state of charge is low.
● The engine coolant temperature is low.
● When the door is opened after releasing seatbelt.
● When the shift position is in M (Manual) mode.

or when it feels like it. LOL.

I was driving in EV mode and I changed the climate to high (hot) and no change, the car continued in EV mode. I did the same thing again and switched to Lo (cold) and no impact, the car remained in EV mode. I did not try just driving in sport with the engine running and the temp set to either Lo or Hot to see if it would then go into EV mode.

Thanks for testing. So to clarify, my car WILL stay in EV mode (when it's already in EV) after switching climate control to Hi. If you haven't tested yet, could you try switching to Hi when it's not in EV mode. Then see if it kicks in EV mode when for instance, you come to a stop light. Mine will not do it in that scenario.

I particularly like what Powdbyrice said When the car feels like it! Yes when I take it out again I will try what cjeezy suggests.

It’s snowing today but supposed to be nice on Wednesday, I’ll give it a try then. I’m pretty sure I go EV with heat on, but don’t think I’ve ever had it set in high.

OP - have a feeling it’s a combination of things. What’s the charge status on the batteries - more than half way ? What’s the coolant temp it’s doing this at ? High heat with a combination of the above could

It’s snowing today but supposed to be nice on Wednesday, I’ll give it a try then. I’m pretty sure I go EV with heat on, but don’t think I’ve ever had it set in high.

OP - have a feeling it’s a combination of things. What’s the charge status on the batteries - more than half way ? What’s the coolant temp it’s doing this at ? High heat with a combination of the above could

Thank you for testing as well. Not sure of the coolant temp (assuming right in the middle). I do know the batteries were fully charged (or close to it)

Thanks for the insight and for testing it when you get your car back! While it was set to high heat (I must have just left it that way from a week ago when it was 35-40 degrees), the blower was on the lowest setting so it wasn't even heating up the inside of the car much.

Fan speed?!?! Stop trying to outsmart the climate control. Just pick the temp you want and let it do it’s thing.

Fan speed?!?! Stop trying to outsmart the climate control. Just pick the temp you want and let it do it’s thing.

Not trying to outsmart anything, just making observations.

Back