• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Galati takes wild Speedvision GT at Texas

Lud

Legendary Member
PrimeAdmin
(ed. note: Cunningham and the NSX didn't do too badly coming in 2nd considering it was the first race for the new car..)

FORT WORTH, Texas (March 4, 2001)– Michael Galati, of N. Olmstead, Ohio, captured a wild SCCA Pro Racing Speedvision World Challenge GT win at the Texas Motor Speedway Leather Center Grand Prix of Texas. Superchips polesitter Peter Cunningham, of W. Bend, Wis., and Randy Pobst, of Melbourne, Fla., completed the top-three.

Galati, who started third in the No. 9 Champion Audi/Audi S4 Competition, took the lead from polesitter Cunningham on lap four, but soon saw the No. 41 AER/Bob McGraw Racing Ford Mustang of Boris Said, who started 20th, in his mirrors. On lap seven, Said took the lead. The two battled for the next 14 laps, swapping the lead several times until Said’s wheel fell off on lap 24, ending an exciting run. Galati went on to average 78.021 mph in the 28-lap, 65.072-mile contest which ended under caution for another incident.

"I really worked my butt off to stay with Boris, but he did a fantastic job staying in front of me," said Galati, who took his 10th-career win. "It was a good car for me today. It stayed consistent throughout and, in the end, the Quattro system paid dividends."

Driving the No. 42 RealTime Racing Acura NSX, Cunningham ran a consistent race after falling behind Galati and Said. The race was the first for the NSX, which the team built in the last 30 days.

"It’s a great feeling to get some point and be on the podium this early in the season," said Cunningham, who is the series all-time leader for podium finishes, with 42. "It was good that we started up front and we even led a few laps. I just hung on and got to the podium."

Pobst, who was filling in for an ailing Peter Kitchak in the No. 3 Keewaydin/Toad Hall Racing/Moorespeed Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, started from the rear of the field after the driver change and sliced through the pack to move into the top-10 by lap six. His progress slowed once in the top-10, but Pobst capitalized off of spins by several other drivers to move on to the podium, earning both the Borla Performance Award and the Rogaine Hair Raising Pass of the Race in the process.

"It was quite an adventure," said Pobst, who had earlier finished second in the American Le Mans Series race. "The thrill of a standing start and the fact that I haven’t driven the car all weekend was really great."

Defending race winner Mike Fitzgerald, of Phoenix, Ariz., finished fourth, followed by 2000 series Champion Jeff McMillin, of Erie, Pa.

The race was slowed by two caution periods, including a hard hit by Greg Merril, of Chevy Chase, Md., at the end of the race. No drivers were injured.

Back