• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Garage cabinets + more

Hello, I was wondering what kind of garages NSX owners had. I am looking to due up mind and I am having a hard time trying to find red cabinets to go in my garage and if I should go with Race Deck tile flooring system or not. I have looked at the old post on pimping garages and others but know one really stated about cabinets. Any idea's? would be great. Thanks.

Here in so cal I went with a company that specializes in garages. He had everything designed on his laptop so I knew exactly how it would look. He also used 3/4" wood...not particle board. Everything was made to order...no pre fabbed. I did shop the "closet" companies to find there $$ were the same or more $$ and they had drawings of a 5 year old/used cheap wood. As for racedeck, good if u want to do it yourself but during very hot days they buckle even with spacing at the edge. If you go the epoxy floor route, prep is key as in any paint. I would also go with a commercial grade epoxy or have the pros do it with a guarantee against peeling/hot spots etc.

Good luck.

Jeff

I went the "less expensive" route as I didn't need amazing cabinets. I searched Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc and finally settled on IKEA. Don't laugh. They had several major advantages:

1) Pick your layout and build what you need
2) Pick your quality (thickness) and colors
3) Put it together yourself and save some $$
4) Part breaks? Buy JUST that part. Can't do that anywhere else
5) Pick your top material - I went with wood

In the end they look awesome and meet my needs 100%.

Well, a little on topic, but anyone here have pics of their garages? Trying to compile some ideas as far as decoration. :biggrin:

^^^
Thanks, completely overlooked that thread while i was searching.

I went the "less expensive" route as I didn't need amazing cabinets. I searched Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc and finally settled on IKEA. Don't laugh. They had several major advantages:

1) Pick your layout and build what you need
2) Pick your quality (thickness) and colors
3) Put it together yourself and save some $$
4) Part breaks? Buy JUST that part. Can't do that anywhere else
5) Pick your top material - I went with wood

In the end they look awesome and meet my needs 100%.

You know that doesn't sound bad. I was just there on the weekend and they had this shinny glossy red cabinets with a white pin stripe in them. I just need to build a bench which would be easy and in any finnish. Thanks I might have to go that way.

Racerxjling - I like your idea as well. I should get a drawing done up and get a quote.
So if I understand correct in hot weather the race deck will buckle up. Does it just come off the wall from 1/4 inch ( shrink ) then expand back to normal?

Does any one here have race deck?

I would like to see some picture's of peoples cabinets if they have any.. Thanks.

You know that doesn't sound bad. I was just there on the weekend and they had this shinny glossy red cabinets with a white pin stripe in them. I just need to build a bench which would be easy and in any finnish. Thanks I might have to go that way.

Racerxjling - I like your idea as well. I should get a drawing done up and get a quote.
So if I understand correct in hot weather the race deck will buckle up. Does it just come off the wall from 1/4 inch ( shrink ) then expand back to normal?

Does any one here have race deck?

I would like to see some picture's of peoples cabinets if they have any.. Thanks.

Eventhough it comes off the wall about 1/4" to allow for expansion it still buckles if you have "stuff" on the floor. I have a drill press, floor jack, metal shelving that sits on the floor, tool chests, and CARS that hold down the race deck...it buckles. HOWEVER, if your garage doesn't face the sun or you live in cooler weather then it's a non issue for you. Lastly, if you should ever decide to get a rolling mid rise lift then it won't work on the racedeck as the heavy rollers will pierce the plastic. Jack stands will do the same.

Some other things to think about before designing/committing to the cabinets:
lighting (love my 8 ft' fluorescent lights), additional outlets, and hylofts (ceiling drop down metal shelves). IMO, it's a waste to put a few huge suitcases, Holiday items or any other rarely used items in the cabinets. Since they are so bulky it's easier to store in the ceiling shelves. I have both and have no regrets...can park 3 cars in my 3 car garage.

Jeff

Eventhough it comes off the wall about 1/4" to allow for expansion it still buckles if you have "stuff" on the floor. I have a drill press, floor jack, metal shelving that sits on the floor, tool chests, and CARS that hold down the race deck...it buckles. HOWEVER, if your garage doesn't face the sun or you live in cooler weather then it's a non issue for you. Lastly, if you should ever decide to get a rolling mid rise lift then it won't work on the racedeck as the heavy rollers will pierce the plastic. Jack stands will do the same.

Some other things to think about before designing/committing to the cabinets:
lighting (love my 8 ft' fluorescent lights), additional outlets, and hylofts (ceiling drop down metal shelves). IMO, it's a waste to put a few huge suitcases, Holiday items or any other rarely used items in the cabinets. Since they are so bulky it's easier to store in the ceiling shelves. I have both and have no regrets...can park 3 cars in my 3 car garage.

Jeff

Sounds good Jeff. My garage only gets morning sun so it wouldn't be too bad in mid afternoon. I just want to put cabinets up against one wall and keep everything off the floor so the race deck might work for me since I have a seperate shop for my tools. Thanks for the info all helps when you are trying to plan a project. I was originaly going to put a hoist in my garage for a storage for the NSX but I think I will lay a seperate pad of concrete down the side of the house for extra parking. ( Honda Odessey ).. I have a double so I need the extra space and if I put a hoist I then can not put up any ceiling hylotts. Plus I need a spot to hang 4 bikes! Do you have any pictures of your garage?

Shawn

Here's mine:wink:

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 39