• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gasoline and paint

I've often wondered whether spilling gas on the body of a car damages the paint. I'm sure it has the ability to melt the paint but at the same time, gas dissipates quickly.

Now I need an actual answer. The pump at Costco didn't stop automatically as gas freely flowed down the side of my car for 5+ seconds. I used a bottle rinse that they had but I'm not sure if it's enough. Do I need to go outside now and rinse the car off?

I'm not sure, but it shouldn't take too long for you to rinse it, and grab a cloth with your favorite wax and lightly rub the "infected" area. Not saying if the gasoline will really eat in your paint, but if that happened to me, the above 5 minutes actions will let me sleep comfortly. Sorry I wished I can helped more.

Man I hate it when that happens.
When it does, I hand wash that area and apply some wax. The gasoline won't eat your paint but it will eat your wax.
I don't trust that auto shut off device. When it gets close to full I listen for the sound to change tone and stop it myself.

pt91 said:
Man I hate it when that happens.
When it does, I hand wash that area and apply some wax. The gasoline won't eat your paint but it will eat your wax.
I don't trust that auto shut off device. When it gets close to full I listen for the sound to change tone and stop it myself.

Oh No! I just spilled some gas on my paint. That is the first time in four years that happened. At any rate, when I got home I took a jug of water out to the garage and poured it on the side of the car. I then wiped it down with a clean T-Shirt.

Is there anything else I should do before I go wash it tomorrow? Should I worry that the gas will melt my paint? HELP!

I sure hope he's gotten it off by now, since it has been 18 months... :wink:

Anyway, if this happens to you at a Costco gas station - don't be bashful. You won't get any weird looks taking a leak on the side of your NSX in a Costco parking lot. :biggrin:

Ski_Banker said:
I sure hope he's gotten it off by now, since it has been 18 months... :wink:

Anyway, if this happens to you at a Costco gas station - don't be bashful. You won't get any weird looks taking a leak on the side of your NSX in a Costco parking lot. :biggrin:

Oh Snap! Was that you driving by while I was doing that?

yes it will start to fade over severl times
just be carefull and slow it up when filling up

thx amo

Back