• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gen 2 NC1 NSX Observations

I currently have '19 NSX (Gen 2) and '98 NSX (Gen 1). They are both completely stock, and I often drive them back to back on dry days.

I will be honest. It took me many years to warm up to the Gen 2 NSX. It just didn't invoke the same emotional sense as it did with the Gen 1.

But now that I have spent some time with both cars back to back, I realize just how special the Gen 2 NSX is - it has so many of the special elements of the Gen 1 NSX. I believe auto journalists completely missed the mark on this car (just like how it took them so many years to truly understand the magic of the Gen 1 NSX).

Here is what they miss.

If I compare the Gen 1 NSX to all the other high-end sports cars of the same era, no other car quite drives like the NSX. There are many faster cars during that era ('91-'05). 911s, M cars, Ferrari 360s / F430s... But the driving experience of the NSX is truly unique. The panoramic view out, low dash, every control at your tips, and the sound of the engine that is like Jekyll and Hyde.

Similarly, if I compare the Gen 2 NSX to all the other high-end sports cars of the current era, no other car quite drives like the NSX. McLaren 570s, Audi R8s, Porsche 911s, Ferrari 458s... they are all super fast. But the driving experience of the NSX is truly unique. Similar to the Gen 1, there is the panoramic view out, low dash, every control at your tips, and the sound of the engine that is like Jekyll and Hyde. And the Gen 2 NSX really set the trend for the hybrid drivetrain for the rest to follow (just like how Gen 1 set the tone for future sports cars).

I believe the development team at Acura/Honda did a phenomenal job. And I believe the Gen 2 will age even better over time.

Frankly, I didn't think I was going to say this, but I constantly find myself more excited to drive the Gen 2 than the Gen 1 (even though they are both exceptionally special).

Glad to hear your thoughts!...I'm looking forward to having the same back to back experience....

That's great to hear. I'm hoping the gen 2 bottoms out at some point (similar to the NA1) and I can afford a used one because I also feel like it's severely underrated.

You missed the bottom before type S was announced...17 and 18's going for low twenties...

Nice to hear your perspective.

I think about the enjoyment I get driving, and wonder if that will become an anachronism as cars become more and more automated and self driving. I drive ~80 miles a day, sometimes in stop and go, some chaotic even and yet I enjoy the drive in my Volt nearly as much as my NSX. My wife hates (with a passion) being in a car, and thinks driving 2 hours a day wears me out. If I didn’t have 7-9 hours of work in between, I would be as fresh as a Daisy!

Back