• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gen 3 NSX (EV?) is in the works.

So, is Acura saying that they will make the EV NSX? Or are they saying that Honda will take the project back to Japan?
The NC1 wasn't a hit in Japan...

What is a hit in Japan?

The NA1 was pretty successful in Japan, as were the Type S and Type R variants, less so the 02+ coupes. The Type T was sold in very limited numbers, except in AT form.
The latest number I had heard for NC1 sales in Japan to date is somewhere less than 100 units...

Whether the car is designed in Japan or the US has little to do with whether or not it will be a successful introduction. First, define what success is and how you measure it. What are your expectations? I suspect that the next NSX will have as many Monday night quarterbacks advising what should have been as we have seen for the first gen and second gen cars.

Perhaps we will see an all electric NSX with capabilities that have yet been defined. Expect a motor at each wheel and software that has AI capability. Perhaps hew sounds and ? What ever the car is I believe Honda will try for the stars.

Japanese market seems to favor tuner lifestyle and the NSX has never been a tuner car due to costs. That is the difference between the NSX and other sports cars sold in Japan.

R35 GTR sold roughly 10k+ units in over 10 years now in Japan. The R34 alone sold 11k units in Japan at a much smaller lifespan and if you compared the 20 years of R32, R33, and R34 GTR sold in Japan, the numbers would blow the R35 out of the water globally, let alone the non GTR Skyline variants. The Japanese economy may not be what it used to or demand is just not there for $100k+ sports cars in general for the world. Porsche and Corvette owns the majority of the market. No other sports car north of ~$60k can emulate them.

NA1 sales matched US sales at 7k total units per country back in the 90s.

NC1 Type S is getting 30 units allocated strictly for Japan. That's the market share Japan now represents in comparison to the US. I don't see how how it wasn't a success since the NSX was meant to be a halo car for Acura brand lift up globally.

^ What I was hinting at was that the Japanese didn't get behind the NC1 (at least in part) because it wasn't made there, unlike the NA cars.
Honda made the right decision to make the NC1 in the USA, as that is the main market - they were never going to sell huge numbers in Japan, but the percentage sold in Japan is disappointing.

who knew Lance Stroll was an 80's singer....:eek:

^ What I was hinting at was that the Japanese didn't get behind the NC1 (at least in part) because it wasn't made there, unlike the NA cars.
Honda made the right decision to make the NC1 in the USA, as that is the main market - they were never going to sell huge numbers in Japan, but the percentage sold in Japan is disappointing.

I agree with your last statement, that Honda made the right decision to make the car in the US. I do not agree that it was not made here that doomed the car in Japan. Markets are constantly changing as are tastes and expectations.

If NC1 owners get rough treatment around these parts from NA1 owners, I already feel for those poor EV NSX owners that show up here in a few years.

Acura should work out an agreement to use Tesla Superchargers.
That would be cool. However, even without, it be fine. I have several EV cars including Taycan Turbo S, Tesla Model S and Model X Plaid on order. My experience is that charging is non issue without Tesla Supercharger. an EV NSX even today will be perfectly fine.

There are so many Electrify America, EVgo (You will notice many Chevron gas stations now has EVgo), Blink, Chargepoint, etc. BLNK, CHPT, EVgo all public traded companies now. All IPO via SPAC last year. It is in their best interest to rapidly grow as fast as possible or they get outgrown by competitors. Some non Tesla Supercharge stations even have 350kW vs (250kW/150kW Tesla Superchargers). It does charge even faster than V3 Tesla Superchargers as of now.

Last edited:
The question for a purely EV NSX is how is going be different from Tesla or other pure EVs? Both the NA1 and NC1 have unique platforms for their time that were essentially cutting edge or even genre defining. Ferrari is just now releasing their "affordable" version that can most arguably be compared to the NC1.

How is an EV NSX going to challenge the paradigm of the EV sports car market? Is going to weight substantially less? Because that's the only drawback for all battery powered supercars atm. That and the range.

Back