• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Get black now or wait for silver

Been looking for a early 90's silver NSX. Of course with low miles, excellent shape, etc. But the dealer i am working through hasn't been able to track one down that is clean enough and in my price range. There are pleny of black ones out there that do. Do you think i should wait or go with black? Isn't it a pain to keep black clean though? Any input of any kind appreciated.

norm

I own a black NSX and yes, it does take more effort to keep it clean. Of course, a good Zaino treatment (mandatory for all NSX's and nice cars
wink.gif
will make it easy to keep clean. If you keep it in a garage and out of the rain - then it's not too bad.

If it's not going to be kept in a garage and you plan to use it as a daily driver I would avoid a black one and opt for white or silver.

-Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

I will be using it as a daily driver, of course my commute will be less then 5 miles to work. It will be kept i the garage too. I guess i am just wondering if anyone else has gone through this decision and what you guys who own either think.

I when throught this same dilemna when I was buying mine. Lots of black 1997, 1999, and 2000 cars to be had. Low prices on all of them too due to lack of demand for black. I have have 4 black cars out of the last 8, mostly BMWs. I felt the blacked tended to hide most of the lines of the NSX. The great thing about black for 1991-1994 cars is that nobody will ever know it is not a 1995-2000 car since it is hard to tell the NSX from the NSX-T in black.
smile.gif

I opted for YELLOW and it is a great color on the car. Certainly much easier to keep clean, especially in the pollen season when the trees around here turn the cars yellow anyway.
smile.gif

I can tell you one thing... if I had my choice between a black one that was in really good shape and was in my price range and a red one (or any other color) and it was too much money or too ragged out, then I would go for the black on in a minute.

After having as many cars as I have had, I have learned to get what you want the first time. You have to enjoy the sight of it walking out to get in it everyday. It is not what you really want, then don't buy it.

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black

Norm,

Like Gordon says...I would get what you really like. If it's silver that you want - then go for it! Perhaps you have to expand your search.

With my Corvette, I wanted a very specific year and engine. I searched and finally found one in Wisconsin (I'm in PA).

You might need to drive a ways (always fun in an NSX) or have it shipped, but if you have your heart set on silver then don't settle.

-Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

Silver was my color of choice but if you know me you know I have a black 91. I vowed on my last car ( dark green) that I would never get a dark car again. I could not pass up my car when it came time to buy it. Though I wanted silver most, I settled for black and am not entirely sad about my choice. Silver is a great color, but remember that it is a pain in the *** to take care of black cars. It looks good only under the follwing conditions:

1. just waxed and washed (but only for about 30 minutes following)

2. at night.

That is about it. Other times it looks dusty or you can see the swirl marks. I don't care how new or well maintained your car is, on a black car you *WILL* see swirl marks and dust. It is annoying as hell. Also, chips are more easily seen. I drive my car daily, dust it before I cover it, and I do cover it everywhere I go and I still get bummed when it looks dusty. Maybe I am just anal, eveyone I know thinks I am!!! Like I said, I love my car, just wish I waited for silver or white!

Hiroshima (Sill love my car even with the swilrs)

Hold out for your color. If you get anything else, you'll always be slightly chagrined that you "settled". I wouldn't worry about washing so much -- as long as you get your color.

-Bob ('94 #496 (Red) -- I know there's a lot of red ones, but Red is my color)

I like the silver and the black. A freshly clean black one looks sweet. But how much harder is it owning a black car. Right now my dealership has found some silvers but none perfect, but plenty of black ones. I need a car, since i am borrowing one right now. I guess it may come down to a perfect black one or an ok silver one. If that is the case i would imagine conditon would over weigh the amout i would like a silver over a black. What do you guys think if you were in my situation?

What is "wrong" with the silver ones? To answer your question on what is so much harder about black cars depends on how anal you are. If you don't mind dusty looking car black is fine. If you are the type that waxes the inside of your trunk lid and uses glycerine on your rubber seals (read *me*) than black may not be your best choice if you DON'T want to wash your car once a week and dust every day.

Let us know what is wrong with the silvers and then we can give you a better opinion.

I think that silver is good, if you want to be noticed by inattentive drivers, i.e. because it's bright like white, they see you coming. Also, silver is easy to keep looking clean.

However, silver paint can never be made to appear deep and rich like dark colors, such as red, green, blue, or black. The classic Zaino's type mirror reflection of a collector's car is not possible with silver.

So you need pick a color based on your needs.

IMO a deep reflective shine is an esential part of owning a very special car. I see silver BMW's and Audi's every where around here (S. CA), and to me, it's too common. Frankly, NSXs are so uncommon that it doesn't matter which color you get, all eyes will be on it as you go by.

There's a 91 silver NSX for sale on Autotrader.com, but it has 80k miles ($36,000).

Best Luck.

NSXY

Norm,

First and Foremost, get what you want!! Be patient. I will admit that silver is tough to find. In the early years, you do not have many choices, though. I do have a 1991 black, and it is troublesome, but not has bad as I thought it would be. The first week I owned it, I thought I made a mistake with the color, but now that I have learned how to take care of it, it;s not so bad. When it is clean it is awesome. I happen to really like the silver also, my friend Miled has a Silver 1991, with Ivory interior (only 6 made in 1991!!!!!!!) It is a really excellent color for the NSX. Anyway, hold out for what you really want. Silver in the early years will really test your patience! You will need to get as many sources as possible to search with and be prepared to fork up some additional bucks for a really nice example. I saw one in Massachusetts a 1991 silver with 12K miles for $43K. Yes, I know really high, but rarity has its price.

LarryB

I just purchased my '94 Red/Blk, although it was not my first choice, I am happy with my decision. My first choice was White/Blk or Silver/Blk. I have owned several black cars and no matter how much of a perfectionist you are, a black car will demand more to keep it looking clean. If you have any doubts, don't get it, just hang in there and you'll find the one you want.
Just my $.02!

All the above points are valid. When I first started looking for an NSX, I just love the look of a perfectly detailed black. It is just the most gorgeous think, in my opinion. As you said, it was not hard to find a good one.

After I started driving it, I noticed that one day out will collect enough dust to leave a dull finish on my car. Getting it off is a challenge also. The second time around, I learned that the silver NSX is a popular color and have less than 400 since 91. That makes it's more valuable. It may be a common color on other cars, but not on the NSXes. It took me 8 months to find this garage queen and I can sum it up in 3 words ... well worth it.

One thing I miss while I'm driving my silver are the black front fenders bulging out to remind me that I'm driving a sports car. The silver fenders just doesn't show up.

Now I drive it as often as possible (no rain, no wind, of course), use a car cover while it is parked and I'm able to just use a california duster to clean the car every time after I used it and it looks show room clean!

I prefer not to drive a dirty exotic. e.g. would you wear a georgio armani suit with food stains on the lapel or @#$ stain on the pants?

Hope it helps!

Chris

Norm,
I was in the same situation as you a little while back. Looked for 6 months to get a Silver one and couldn't find anything clean enough. Finally, I found a good black one and this is my experience which sounds the same as most others:
-black looks great when waxed an polished, that's it!
Even if you've just washed it, the car still shows marks, scratches, etc.. Not to mention it looks dirty within a day. To make matters worse I live in rainy Vancouver and have to wash it every few days. When I had my silver 300TT it was a world of difference and let's just say that as soon as I get my body kit the car is going off the road for a extensive silver paint job (roof included).
My advise, get the cleanest car you can and if it's black just paint it.

I bought a 2000 "Silverstone" silver/black in March. I had never seen one this color and was frankly a bit nervous about ordering it based on the brochure color chip and not seeing a car in person. I also had to wait longer for the silver. BUT, when I saw it I about fell over. The metalic flake and tone of the silver is just breathtaking. I am clearly biased, but I think the silver was made for this car. It seems to have more of an aircraft-type look. I've had people come up to me and ask when Acura changed to the new body style and comment on how much better it looks than earlier models. Of course I explain it is the same body, but maybe the silver color gives it a different look. Please excuse my bias, but I wouldn't trade for any other color.

------------------
Steve Adams
2000 NSX-T #115 Silver/Black

There are something like three different silvers available for the NSX, right? And all have a distinctive look to them. I happen to find the Kaiser silver breathtaking and Sebring silver just okay. I haven't seen the Silverstone yet, but if it's anything like the Kaiser, I'd go for silver over black.

Incidentally, my personal choice was between red/black and black/black...and, for a long time, I had been favoring black before I finally settled on red.

That said, now that I've seen a bunch of NSXs in person, I look at black VERY differently. If I had seen all of the NSX colors lined up side-by-side before I bought my NSX, I would have had a hard time choosing between red, yellow, and Kaiser silver...black would no longer have been an option. Though I still love the look of the NSX in black, something about these colors just work so well with the NSX's lines.

If you can, I strongly recommend seeing each color in person before making your choice. Doing so may strongly influence your opinion...

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

Hi Norm... I own the '91 Silver NSX in Massachusetts with 13000 miles on it. I waited 2 years just to get the color I wanted. This car looks brand new everyday.You will not regret your choice especially with the black roof! It really stands out...Good Luck, Jeff

Called the dealer who was finding the car for me...they said they have leads on 3 silvers ones. So unless none of those are good enough condition, i will get the color i want. Black is a 10 when it is clean but a 7 when it is dirty. Silver seems to be an 8 usually and probably 9 when clean. Thanks for all your responses...will keep all of you updated.

Norm,

Now you're confusing me
smile.gif

It sounds like you really like black...if only it could be kept clean. I had assumed from your earlier comments that you really liked the silver but could only find black ones.

If that's the case, I would go for what you REALLY like...black.

I've had dozens of cars and I must say I really look forward to cleaning and polishing my NSX. If you're going to be able to keep in a garage...then I would go for the black. The Zaino really does make it easy to care for.

It does require more work than silver (I've owned many silver cars), no doubt about it. But in my opinion...

1. It's not THAT much more effort.
2. It's a pleasurable task to clean it.
3. Zaino makes a BIG difference.

-Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

Norm,

Now you're confusing me
smile.gif

It sounds like you really like black...if only it could be kept clean. I had assumed from your earlier comments that you really liked the silver but could only find black ones.

If that's the case, I would go for what you REALLY like...black.

I've had dozens of cars and I must say I really look forward to cleaning and polishing my NSX. If you're going to be able to keep in a garage...then I would go for the black. The Zaino really does make it easy to care for.

It does require more work than silver (I've owned many silver cars), no doubt about it. But in my opinion...

1. It's not THAT much more effort.
2. It's a pleasurable task to clean it.
3. Zaino makes a BIG difference.

-Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

Just get the best condition NSX that you can find then paint it whatever color you like.
My NSX is silver and all I can say is this is the BEST color on NSX(my opinion)and you don't have to wax it frequently. If you want an unique color, I would recommend the Japanese NSX type S Zero(orange)that defintely makes your car stand out.

Jimbo,
Sorry for the confusion. I do agree that nothing looks better then a freshly clean black NSX. My friend just bought a Black CL Type-S, Zainoed it, and he says it's not that hard to keep clean. But for me silver is just the color that does it for me. Would be totally happy with a black but just like the silver a tad more.

I say go for the black! You're going to love the car so much you will want to put the extra effort into keeping it looking good. I've only had blk cars its not that hard to keep them looking good especially if the car has good paint to begin with
good luck with your descision!
paul m. 95 blk/blk t 98 mb 230 blk/blk

I say go for the black! You're going to love the car so much you will want to put the extra effort into keeping it looking good. I've only had blk cars its not that hard to keep them looking good especially if the car has good paint to begin with
good luck with your descision!
paul m. 95 blk/blk t 98 mb 230 blk/blk

I'm glad I saw this subject. I just bought a '91 black/black with 38k miles and I love the car. However it is very difficult to keep clean. I also have a lot of "road rash" on the grill, hood and fenders. They are pinpoint chips, but they really show up on the black. I want to get this fixed but I don't want to repaint the whole car (it is BEAUTIFUL, except for the little chips). Have any of you had experience having a black NSX touched up? Were they able to blend it in with the rest of the car?

Thanks for your help

StevieRay
A new NSX owner and LOVE it!!

Back