• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Getting prior service records from a dealer - strategy

My car in its early years was serviced regularly by David McDavid Acura in Texas (I think the name has now changed). I called the service manager there requesting the records but was denied because of the previous owner's "personal information" would still be on the record. However, I asked if they could just blot out/redact that info (name/address, etc), but they didn't want to do it.

There are so many records for my car from this dealership that it would really aid in my paperwork collection for the future caretaker to have this info. Anybody have any strategy for getting this info and/or know anyone at this dealership who could help me just just get the printed records?

My local dealer said they couldn't get them - they would have to come from the TX dealer.

I think you may be out of luck if you are looking for copies of the actual service invoices.

My 2000 is an American Market model. Because of the VIN, the local dealer could not do a search in the Acura Canada data base. The VIN just came back as invalid. The only thing they could provide was my recent service history in their local records. If it had a Canadian VIN, my understanding was that they could have retrieved the service history where the service had been performed by an Acura dealership. That is not the same thing as the actual service invoices which have more details. Service histories tend to be single line activity / date / mileage descriptions.

When I purchased my car, the CarFax report contained something called a Detailed History which listed all the (documented) service records prior to the car leaving the US. I could see all the service events (mostly oil changes) executed by US Acura dealerships. The records are just single line descriptions with activity, date and mileage. Pretty much what my local dealership could have generated if the VIN had been Canadian. If you are just looking for a record the CarFax might work. I think your local dealership might be able to generate the same VIN service history; but, if you have no relationship with them they may not be prepared to do it for free. If you are looking for detailed service invoices to create provenance I think you are out of luck.

Last edited:
Thanks Old Guy. I do have the car fax and it has a number of service entries with those high level descriptions of service, but I know the actual “printout” from the dealer would expand the story of my car. The carfax is now I knew to zero in on which dealer did the service.

To me, it’s just a matter of hitting “print” from their system, but i guess they are just protective of the customer info even though I would be happy with a bunch of lines through that personal info.

Thanks Old Guy. I do have the car fax and it has a number of service entries with those high level descriptions of service, but I know the actual “printout” from the dealer would expand the story of my car. The carfax is now I knew to zero in on which dealer did the service.

To me, it’s just a matter of hitting “print” from their system, but i guess they are just protective of the customer info even though I would be happy with a bunch of lines through that personal info.

PM me your vin. I know a guy who knows a guy, lol.

Back