• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Getting the oil changed

haha says the decorum minder....:p

Start acting like a moderator and less like the forum bully. God save us from the grammar police. Indeed.

Comical. Needed a laugh today. When I was talking to the engine builders at Anna, they said you shouldn't be in a rush with the initial oil change. It has something in it and should be left in for an extended period of time.

That being said, I'm a stickler with my maintenance and what not. I make a binder for all my cars and put all the records in it. Window stickers, production numbers, cool articles and anything else the next caretaker might want. Some of my stuff doesn't get driven often but I still change the oil, clean it and drive it to get rid of the flat spots.

Comical. Needed a laugh today. When I was talking to the engine builders at Anna, they said you shouldn't be in a rush with the initial oil change. It has something in it and should be left in for an extended period of time.

That being said, I'm a stickler with my maintenance and what not. I make a binder for all my cars and put all the records in it. Window stickers, production numbers, cool articles and anything else the next caretaker might want. Some of my stuff doesn't get driven often but I still change the oil, clean it and drive it to get rid of the flat spots.

I was told by a Honda Canada employee that the additive that is in the oil when their cars leave the factory is Molyslip. Anybody else here ever hear this?

The frequency of oil changes is only an issue if something goes wrong during the warranty period. Honda could care less what you do to your car after that. If something goes wrong during the warranty period and it's a lubrication-related situation, not changing the oil annually gives them the perfect excuse not to fix it under warranty. That's it.

Otherwise, it's your car and you can maintain it however you wish, at least until it is time to sell it and you might end up having a more difficult time selling it, or need to accept a lower price due to the perceived lack of proper maintenance.

I too remember something about magic juice in the initial oil...but I was so distracted by the whole experience that my keen and cunning mind was in a weakened state of retention..

So I have a question. I recently purchased a 2017 nsx. It has 24.5k miles on it. The dealership only changed the engine filter and oil. Should I also shange all the fluids in the car just to be safe? Like the trans fluid, brake fluid, and TMU fluid? What do you guys recommend? New to the forum and this is my dream car. I wanna treat it with respect

I am having my oil changed soon, along with the brake fluid flush. The Acura records on my car show a "front diff service" was done at 2052 miles. Is that referring to twin motor fluid? If I read my maintenance schedule correctly I should my transmission and clutch fluid done also since I am over 30,000 km. Anything else?

So I have a question. I recently purchased a 2017 nsx. It has 24.5k miles on it. The dealership only changed the engine filter and oil. Should I also shange all the fluids in the car just to be safe? Like the trans fluid, brake fluid, and TMU fluid? What do you guys recommend? New to the forum and this is my dream car. I wanna treat it with respect
Welcome to Prime! You should post up pics of your new dream car!

Acura is pretty good with the service intervals. Unless your car has a history of heavy track abuse or heavy mods, I doubt there is any reason to do an early change. I'd just follow the maintenance minder.

From a minimal standpoint I would at least change the brake fluid. As for the trans and front motors, if my car I would do it. This way you have all the bases covered. There is also the radiator fluid as well. Take a look at the recommended maintenance as described in the manual. A lot depends on whether the car falls under severe use or norma. Enjoy

I would replace everything just for the peace of mind Trans and clutch fluid, Brake fluid, and TMU fluid.

Acura is pretty good with the service intervals. Unless your car has a history of heavy track abuse or heavy mods, I doubt there is any reason to do an early change. I'd just follow the maintenance minder.
I am not a big fan of the Maintenance Minder in the car. The relevant question is how the car was driven in the past. If you don’t know, perhaps it is better to err on the positive side. As someone pointed out earlier. If the car is still in warranty (6 years) power train warranty, then you want to be covered. If something goes south on your watch, Acura will look at all the maintenance done or not done. I prefer to have everything in my favor. The other thing to keep in mind is that this car is so much more expensive to repair than the first generation car. There is a 2017 NC1 that had a failed engine. Acura chose to purchase the car from the owner rather than have it repaired. I am not sure why they proceeded with that fix. The car had 37k miles and exhibited a knocking sound. I think in the end it was a labor issue and a parts issue. The owner ended up getting a really good buy out Price.

Thank you. I will keep this in my phone. Planning to keep this car mint and keeping it for a very long time. But let's see what happens. Also... It has a aftermarket exhaust system.

Yeah... I think the car was tracked because it has a meth kit.....
Normally when the car has a meth kit it also has the JB4 kit that plays with some of the engine settings. You can get a lot of additional power from the car with the JB4. The problem is that the JB4 requires higher octane fuel if you want max power improvement. One way around this is to add the Meth kit. I suspect your car still has the JB4 installed. As it takes a bit of effort to install. It can also be essentially turned off. If you go to Science of Speed’s web site, you will see a video on the install. This will help you spot it if it is still installed.

If they pulled that unit they would have also pulled the meth kit. The other thing you want for power and sound is downpipes. An exhaust may look good but doesn’t do much for the car. I bet if they did the exhaust they also did the downpipes. So you have most likely a nicely modified car. Try and find out the original owner so you can find out what was done. The dealer service manager can give you the history of service. I would do this before changing anything else. Let us know what you learn.

So in the 5th owner of the vehicle. It might be futile to find out which ow er did the meth kit. Ok so the car came in with the following. And AEM meth kit. The Jb4.. Whicis usually piggy backed to the ecu is no where to be found so I suspect they did a flash. The car also has a SOS exhaust system. It's been throwing the p0420 and p0430 codes for emissions.... Which leads me to believe that the car has catless pipes. Currently I'm not using the meth kit or plan to use it since pretty much I'm out of warranty. I don't want to (god forbid) blow the engine and be out of warranty.... That will be a very expensive paper weight. That's the other thing, I live in NJ and have to pass emissions, hence, I might have to get catted pipes. That's the reason I'm leaning to change the fluids on the car and see what you guys think since u guys have more experience than I do. The dealership only changed the engine filters and oil. Also a set of new break pads and front tires. But as for TMU, trans and break fluids..... The dealer did Nothing. Carfax does not say anything about fluid change from previous owners either. I feel that I might have to spend about 10k in total....

I calm him Queso... Not sure why but the name kinda stuck

Attachments

• IMG-20230214-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20230214-WA0001.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230211_121907.jpg
    20230211_121907.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 17
So in the 5th owner of the vehicle. It might be futile to find out which ow er did the meth kit. Ok so the car came in with the following. And AEM meth kit. The Jb4.. Whicis usually piggy backed to the ecu is no where to be found so I suspect they did a flash. The car also has a SOS exhaust system. It's been throwing the p0420 and p0430 codes for emissions.... Which leads me to believe that the car has catless pipes. Currently I'm not using the meth kit or plan to use it since pretty much I'm out of warranty. I don't want to (god forbid) blow the engine and be out of warranty.... That will be a very expensive paper weight. That's the other thing, I live in NJ and have to pass emissions, hence, I might have to get catted pipes. That's the reason I'm leaning to change the fluids on the car and see what you guys think since u guys have more experience than I do. The dealership only changed the engine filters and oil. Also a set of new break pads and front tires. But as for TMU, trans and break fluids..... The dealer did Nothing. Carfax does not say anything about fluid change from previous owners either. I feel that I might have to spend about 10k in total....
Thanks for sharing the information. Given you are the fifth owner and the car has 25,000 miles. I would definitely change the brake fluid if it has not been done. Again the service manager can pull a complete history of service across all owners. So do ask. The JB4 is hard to see unless you know where to look. Check out the video, as that will help.

I don’t think SOS sold catless downpipes. Though other suppliers do sell cattle’s downpipes. However I have heard that a number of SOS downpipes have been worn out? And require recatting? SOS offers a reduced cost. So you might want to contact them. If you don’t want to go that route you can always buy someone’s used OEM downpipes. I have seen them on EBay. That would insure you pass smog. I am running SOS downpipes, but have never had an issue. I have heard that if you add lots of octane boosters that you can poison the cat.

If I were you, I would focus on what is actually on your car. If you go to Facebook, there is a Second Generation NSX group that you can join. It is about 300 NC1 cars plus. Someone probably lives close enough to you who knows what to look for. You could make some new friends and find out more about your car. Congrats on your car.

That's the thing. I don't have a manual or minder... I'm sorry I'm very noob about this.
Start here to download a manual. Welcome and enjoy your car, it’s a blast.

Good link for brochures:

For maintenance items I don’t think it will be as expensive as you think. From my experience oil/filter change is about $500, brake flush $350, twin motor fluid $200, engine coolant $? I haven’t done that yet.

You should also check/replace your battery. The car doesn’t like a weak battery. Easy DIY, Costco Interstate for about $200. Threads hear about it. Consider a battery tender also.

Maybe the rest of sorting your codes will add up.

Last edited:
The downpipes sit under the air filter box you can remove the box and see what downpipes you have. SOS has a video on how to remove the air box just search for downpipe install vid. SOS utilizes the stock heat sheild for the downpipes and most other brands dont.

Back