• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GMRS radio recommendations

you can get them anywhere (Source, Walmart, etc...). We all ended up with Cobras but whatever make you get, get the ones with 25km range (high power ones)

I bought my motorola from the electronics section of Loblaws for $19.99 4 years ago.

FYI - I had Motos and brought them to NSXPO, they were relatively SOOO crappy compared to the Cobras that I bought a set of Cobras - night a day at how much clearer you can hear people speaking.

They were around $60 USD

I think I got mine here, on sale, for about $90 pre tax. So expect to see something in that range.

For future reference, if youre driving along and someone says something and youre not sure who it is, if there is BeeGees in the background, that would be Stuart.

[ if there is BeeGees in the background, that would be Stuart.[/QUOTE]

I would have thought that a class club as NSXCC would havae a policy of "Neil Diamond or BeeGee lovers need not apply.":smile:

DaveW

nope, we do not discriminate based upon musical taste or sexual orientation (ahem, Stu again) or against slow drivers (once again Stu)

Without such an open door policy we would be out a very important person for the Club!!!!

nope, we do not discriminate based upon musical taste or sexual orientation (ahem, Stu again) or against slow drivers (once again Stu)

Without such an open door policy we would be out a very important person for the Club!!!!

Dave is the only one who filed out his membership form and wrote, where it says "Sex" - "Not Since I was 15":rolleyes:

Can't say I'm a BeeGees fan, but I do like the Stones...as far as Slow, you guys have to come out to the track with us, we CAN settle it!:wink:

FYI - I had Motos and brought them to NSXPO, they were relatively SOOO crappy compared to the Cobras that I bought a set of Cobras - night a day at how much clearer you can hear people speaking.

They were around $60 USD

Costco in Markham (Woodbine/Hwy 7) is selling Motorola that has 30km range for CAD$67 which is quite good. But with Stu's comment, I wonder if I should stick to the Cobra brand. Has anyone tried to intergrate the two brands on the same channel, and can you comment on how well they work together? Maybe this is what Stu is talking about.

Costco in Markham (Woodbine/Hwy 7) is selling Motorola that has 30km range for CAD$67 which is quite good. But with Stu's comment, I wonder if I should stick to the Cobra brand. Has anyone tried to intergrate the two brands on the same channel, and can you comment on how well they work together? Maybe this is what Stu is talking about.

I found its was hard to "hear" the words being said over the Motorola, like the transmission was fuzzy (or the speaker sucked) whereas the Cobra was sharp and clear - more like a cell phone.

We were using a "mixed bunch" of Moto and Cobra, and when I was handed a Cobra (instead of my Moto) I was blown away. I'm a HUGE Moto fan and prefer Moto REAL radios and cell phones, but their GRPS stuff is Sh1te.

Now if we could get Ian to stop taking his top off and sharing whatever was playing on his Stereo...:tongue:

I have 3 radios. Two Cobras and one older Uniden. If someone wants to borrow one instead of buy a set for this event, let me know.

Now Dave is showing off again:tongue:

He knows I only have two Cobras and two crappy Motos - I'm happy to share a Cobra with someone - since they come in pairs, its not a bad idea to "partner" with someone for a set.

those wishing to "partner" with Stu can find all of his particulars in his add at the yaught club. Look for the flyer with the headline "Seeking Cabin Boy"

Well, at least I didn't put the radio in the front pocket of my jeans and wander around Ohio pointing at the bulge and telling anyone who would listen that I had a Cobra in my pants! (like Dave did!)

I just bought a pair of the Cobra LI7200 with a 45km range. $77 at a store here in Ottawa.

These are to replace my pair of Motorola's, which seem to have a range of less than 1km.

Brad

Which store Bradley?
:confused:

Picked them up today. 22 channels with two different levels of privacy codes. Channels 1-8 and 15-22 are GMRS capable, the others are FRS. The GMRS channels allow full power on the radio, the FRS is low power only.

It also gives you weather reports.

Back