• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GoFundMe advice

I want to be abundantly clear that I am NOT here asking for money. I am here asking for advice on how to make my GoFundMe more successful. If doing this breaks any forum rules, please let me know so I can fix or delete this post. Mods, if you need to delete it, feel free to do so. I will understand.

My GoFundMe is to help my family get back on our feet. Our home was burglarized on Thanksgiving. The thugs took virtually everything of value. My wife cannot work because the thieves took all our computer equipment, electronic devices, our safe, etc. It is just too painful to list. My PhD research is gone - the working copy and the backups were taken.

We have met with limited success in getting to our fundraising goal. Would any of you be willing to look at the campaign and suggest changes that might be able to help it be more successful? I will send you the link via if you wish to review it. Do you have any suggestions on how to target social media to help this get to people whom may be able to help? We are truly in a bad place and have to get this going and soon.

If I have crossed any forum rules, please let me know so I can take corrective action. Mods, if I crossed any lines, please message me so I know what I did wrong and aim not to do it again. If this post is so far across the line, please delete it. Right now, my mental state is that I do not understand a lot of things that I normally would.

No matter what, have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! We hope we can turn ours around and do so too.

I'm sorry to hear you got burglarized. I hate thieves. Sounds like you don't have home insurance or renter's insurance?

I HAD US renter's insurance but let it lapse so I could afford to bring my Mother-In-Law down from Alaska to live with us. This burglary took place in Morelos, Mexico. I am down here working on Earthquake Relief and am a PhD student. My wife works from home doing graphical work and Virtual Assistant duties. We are down here on the Tourist Card (FMM) and you cannot get renters insurance with that. Only Temporary/Permanent Residents or citizens of Mexico can qualify for it. Even if we had US renter's insurance, it would only pay out a maximum 10% of the policy maximums under the "away from home" coverage rider. That cost savings measure (living on a student's budget is tough at any age) came back to haunt us.

The person that has taken over the fundraising efforts was Playboy's Playmate of the Month for February 1969. We asked her if she sent a personal request to them for help with the GoFundMe if it would have any impact. She said that she has never gotten a response from Playboy in any type of action like this one.

Sorry for your crappy situation... all I can suggest is using as many social media outlets as you can.

I'd also suggest getting out of Mexico asap. The cops are just as corrupt as the crooks who broke in to your pad down there and it's just not a very safe place to begin with.

Good luck

The person that has taken over the fundraising efforts was Playboy's Playmate of the Month for February 1969. We asked her if she sent a personal request to them for help with the GoFundMe if it would have any impact. She said that she has never gotten a response from Playboy in any type of action like this one.

Haaa...This is where I call BS to your story. She must be close to 70 years old and that's who is taken over the fundraising.

I think hear your village calling. They want you back.

Not sure of a go fund me account advice, but I know how you can own supercars for free. It’s called supercarhacks.com...
:rolleyes: A word of advice; location, location, location...
If all else fails, give a bum your last 20 dollars and take video of it... I hear that works well...

Back