• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GPS antennas: Where have you guys mounted them?

I am getting ready for the full install of my SoS Stage 2 Audiophile system with a Kenwood DNX8120.

I am going to use the GXM 30 smart-antenna for XM radio, to both get the traffic, weather, and XM music integrated into the unit.

I've been thinking about mounting locations in the NSX and think the corner of the engine cover nearest the bulkhead is a good choice. I know it gets a bit warm under there, but I don't really want to locate the antenna inside the car, as I don't want to disrupt the sweep of the dash, and the unit's white color clashes with the black dash.

Does anyone have experience placing them under the engine glass? What other options have worked well?

Attachments

• h150GXM30-f_.jpg
    h150GXM30-f_.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 82
My XM antenna and GPS antenna are both under the engine glass, on top of the engine cover behind he driver. I fed the wiring through the rubber plug behind the driver. Once I put on an NSX-R hood, I plan on monting everything in the front since the signal wll go right through the fiberglass / carbon fiber.
Tim

Last edited:
Behind the engine glass would be okay. Make sure you use the included metal disc that comes with the antenna you pictured for better reception. That thing is huge by the way; it's about 4" diameter.

I put mine on the dash, in the middle; the wire is run through the old alarm sensor hole, and the antenna itself covers this hole. I have also heard of people mounting GPS antennas inside of the nav pod housing, apparently this still allows for adequate reception.

When you say the 'old alarm sensor hole' in the middle of the dash, you don't mean the sunlight sensor at the very front center of the dash do you?

i installed mine on top of the center speaker housing between the seats. reception is great, installation simple as is the wiring.

When you say the 'old alarm sensor hole' in the middle of the dash, you don't mean the sunlight sensor at the very front center of the dash do you?

Yes, that is the location; I thought it was part of the alarm system, but I was mistaken.

I believe it is one of two input sensors to the climate control system, so still possible to remove. I used it as it was easy to access with a cable puller, I had a crack in the trim piece that spans the length of the windshield, and by mounting my GPS antenna there I was able to cover the crack, and get the antenna in position without removing the windshield, or cutting any holes.

I have two antennas in this location, one for XM, and one for navigation - both have very strong signals.

Yes, that is the location; I thought it was part of the alarm system, but I was mistaken.

I believe it is one of two input sensors to the climate control system, so still possible to remove. I used it as it was easy to access with a cable puller, I had a crack in the trim piece that spans the length of the windshield, and by mounting my GPS antenna there I was able to cover the crack, and get the antenna in position without removing the windshield, or cutting any holes.

I have two antennas in this location, one for XM, and one for navigation - both have very strong signals.

There's three. Sunlight sensor, already mentioned; ambient temp sensor inside the front air dam; and the interior temp sensor behind the aspirator fan. The combination of these 3 combine to form a map of inputs for the 'Auto' function on the CC. Maybe Bryan knows if the lack of sun sensor input will affect your CC adjustments one way or the other?

The new GXM 30 eliminates the old Garmin system of needing THREE antennas for full functionality: a GPS antenna, an XM antenna, and a third FM-style antenna for navtraffic updates. I'm glad they combined the 3 for simplicity sake. The NSX has always been about keeping it simple :)

I see most everyone mounts it out 'in the open', under glass, with a few mounting it in under the dash. What kind of signals do the under-dash mount folks get?

Back