• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Grand Canyon North Rim trip 6/19-6/22 ***date change***

For Anyone interested, Will and I are planning a Drive to the North Rim, Grand Canyon - Friday, June 19th - Monday, June 22nd

That provides one day to hit Bryce and Zion, and one day to hit the GC.

More details to come; (i.e.; where we will stop, Hotel info, ect).

Last edited:
Here’s a rough itinerary:

We leave Denver Friday morning and head to Kanab:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Loa...9a56fd317!2m2!1d-112.5263145!2d37.0474855!3e0

Saturday we hit Zion and Bryce Natl. Park: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Kan...9a56fd317!2m2!1d-112.5263145!2d37.0474855!3e0

Then Sunday we hit the Grand Canyon North Rim: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Kan...ef22295648456f8!2m2!1d-112.172849!2d36.556053

Monday we head back home, we can go back same way, or this route is a little quicker: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Kan...e49051fa80bcf64!2m2!1d-105.232926!2d39.764658

Thank you Will
great details :)

I’m waiting to hear back from the Holiday Inn Express in Kanab, but not expecting a huge (if any) discount for a group rate. In years past we’ve also used the Redrock Country Inn, I didn’t mind it, but some complained that it was a bit old and run down, its also much lower cost. I plan to stay at the Holiday Inn either way, as I have some points built up from business travel. Its not a huge issue if everyone isn’t at the same hotel, They are within a few blocks of each other.

Will,

I was in the process of booking a room at the Holiday Inn Express in Kanab however, I'm not entirely certain which date(s).
would that be: Check-in Friday, June 12th, check-out Sunday ?
OR
Check-in Saturday, June 13th, check-out Monday, June 15th ?

Thank you!
Joe

This looks like an amazing time. Having grown up in southern Utah, those are some roads I have always loved. You'll love Zion National Park and the route you've selected will take you through the Mount Carmel Tunnel which is an amazing piece of infrastructure. I would encourage you to take time within the park to actually get out of the cars and do a little hiking. My favorite hike is Angel's Landing but it would take 1/2 day at least. You might want to look at Emerald Pools or Weeping Rock. It's pretty ambitious to try and hit Zion and Bryce in a single day because there is so much to see in both. It's been awhile since I visited the north rim of the Grand Canyon but you'll love Highways 89A and 67 which take you there via Jacob Lake. Great curvy backroads with (hopefully) little traffic.

At this point it looks like my calendar for that Sat-Sun is free so I may try and cruise up from the Phoenix area to rendezvous with you all at some point on your journey. PM me if you want any specific insight on some of the places you'll be visiting and I can give you my phone number. I'll keep an eye on this thread as best I can. Good luck with the trip planning!

This looks like an amazing time. Having grown up in southern Utah, those are some roads I have always loved. You'll love Zion National Park and the route you've selected will take you through the Mount Carmel Tunnel which is an amazing piece of infrastructure. I would encourage you to take time within the park to actually get out of the cars and do a little hiking. My favorite hike is Angel's Landing but it would take 1/2 day at least. You might want to look at Emerald Pools or Weeping Rock. It's pretty ambitious to try and hit Zion and Bryce in a single day because there is so much to see in both. It's been awhile since I visited the north rim of the Grand Canyon but you'll love Highways 89A and 67 which take you there via Jacob Lake. Great curvy backroads with (hopefully) little traffic.

At this point it looks like my calendar for that Sat-Sun is free so I may try and cruise up from the Phoenix area to rendezvous with you all at some point on your journey. PM me if you want any specific insight on some of the places you'll be visiting and I can give you my phone number. I'll keep an eye on this thread as best I can. Good luck with the trip planning!

Hope you are able to meet us at some point. I have driven the south rim a few times however, this will be my first North Rim drive / trip; certainly
sounds terrific :)

Hi all, just a quick update/date change. We are adjusting the date to the following weekend due to a timing conflict, so will plan on leaving Denver on Friday morning June 19 and return to Denver on Monday June 22. For those from other areas planning to meet us in Kanab, best option is to meet us Friday night in Kanab. Then we’ll hit Zion and Bryce National park on Saturday, 6/20, then head south to the Grand Canyon North Rim on Sunday 6/21, then return to Denver on 6/22.

I’ve set up a block of rooms at the Holiday Inn in Kanab. They are holding the rooms until May 1. To make your reservation, call the hotel at 435-644-3100, and let them know you are with the NSX club.

Any questions I can answer let me know. Looking forward to this trip.

-Will

Last edited:
Hi all, just a quick note on the hotel pricing situation. The room block I set up with the Holiday Inn is for a nightly rate of $161. If you go to HolidayInn.com and select the dates its shows a nightly rate of $128 per night. I asked the hotel why the discrepancy, and this was the response I got:

"That rate is for a room with a single queen size bed, and it's the Book Early And Save rate which is charged in advance and is not refundable in the event of a cancellation. The Book Early rate for two queens is $145, and it can only be booked online. I can't book this rate type over the phone. If you would prefer to do that rate, I can cancel the group block and you can book them online? Let me know.”

Figured I’d throw that out there. I’ve booked my room already, might be worth booking online rather than over the phone if you’re not afraid of the cancellation policy.

Lots of other hotels in the area as well, the only one I have personal experience at is the Red Rock Country Inn. I stayed there last in 2009, it was older, but clean. http://redrockcountryinnkanab.com

Last edited:
I ran across your post on the Utah thread and headed over here to let you know I may be interested in tagging along. I grew up in south central Utah and have been through Bryce dozens of times as well as Zions. Would love to join you guys. I'll have to clear it with work first and if I'm good there I'll start making the plans.

Back