• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ground Clearance and Speed Bumps

Hi, I have been thinking of getting my hands on a new NSX but I have been worried about the lack of a factory vehicle lift option. As far as I know it has a super low front (something like 3.7 inches clearance only). I am aware of aftermarket iLift and such but for me, I prefer to keep my cars as original to factory as possible. Do you think if I were to do a factory order I could somehow slip in a request for the Ohio engineers to have my car raised by half an inch (I know this sounds pretty stupid but...)

So for owners of the NSX, how do you manage your parking ramps and speed bumps? Are they of major concern? Do they take away from the fun when you are driving? This is literally the only thing left on my mind in deciding between an R8 V10 Plus or an NSX.

I doubt you will get the factory to build you a car with not spec height

I have not had an issue with speed bumps

If you encounter a ramp over 7 degrees in grade, you will be scraping the bumper

Hi, I have been thinking of getting my hands on a new NSX but I have been worried about the lack of a factory vehicle lift option. As far as I know it has a super low front (something like 3.7 inches clearance only). I am aware of aftermarket iLift and such but for me, I prefer to keep my cars as original to factory as possible. Do you think if I were to do a factory order I could somehow slip in a request for the Ohio engineers to have my car raised by half an inch (I know this sounds pretty stupid but...)

So for owners of the NSX, how do you manage your parking ramps and speed bumps? Are they of major concern? Do they take away from the fun when you are driving? This is literally the only thing left on my mind in deciding between an R8 V10 Plus or an NSX.

Not an issue what so ever with speed bumps, ramps is just normal you have to go sideways but heck I had to do that with my other car BMW m4 with that being said I pretty much daily drive my car and I though it was going to be an issue but its not at all

Speed bumps haven't been a problem in my experience. The ramps and driveways can be an issue when exiting depending on the angle. If the angle at where the driveway ramp meets the street looks like an obtuse "v" angle, you're going to have issues and the strategy there is go almost sideways otherwise the front bumper is going to sustain some damage.

speed bumps = no problem

driveways = problem, unless its relatively flat.

SOS makes lip protectors.

IMG_20171229_121618.jpg

Last edited:
The 2017 NSX is no different than ANY sports car, it's not lower or higher that most of them.....

With that said, if you are used to driving a lowered car there should be NO issues. If you drive like you stole it or like an SUV, you'd be in trouble in any sports car, not just the NSX.

Speed bumps are no issue for the new NSX. Steep driveways with narrow approach angles will give this car and every other sports car trouble. AKA: City driving in SF

In those cases you either avoid driving in there or you go park somewhere else and walk. Short of a lift kit nothing will save you in those cases.

Our 2004 NSX sits almost 1.5" lower than the 2017 stock NSX ride height. It does not get driven anywhere questionable and if in doubt, the car gets parked elsewhere. It's the price we all pay for owning crazy cars! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers! I currently drive a BMW M2 so I guess I'm pretty used to low cars. Hoping to get a Valencia red soon enough!

Thanks for the answers! I currently drive a BMW M2 so I guess I'm pretty used to low cars. Hoping to get a Valencia red soon enough!

Congrats, we have a 2018 Blue M2 being delivered by March and have a lot of cool mods for the car coming out :)

The irony is our F80 M3 with the front lip actually was harder to drive than the NSX~ it was so bad we eventually took it off as it was getting ridiculous scraping everywhere! Sometimes being realistic is the best option :)

Few people want to drive our NSX even to shows as it's the hardest car to drive with no front lift kit (all static).

It's hard to understand why any high end super car manufacture would build without a front lift. They stuck me for $9k on the Carbon fiber exterior package I think another $4-5k on a lift would have been doable.

Because the project leader, Turd is a sheet for brains and clearly no one called him on the doofus stuff like this and the no folding electric mirrors.

They essentially dumped all the business from rich folks that live in condo towers with ramped garages. Being able to market to that crowd alone would have allowed the car to be a solid seller.

Because the project leader, Turd is a sheet for brains and clearly no one called him on the doofus stuff like this and the no folding electric mirrors.

They essentially dumped all the business from rich folks that live in condo towers with ramped garages. Being able to market to that crowd alone would have allowed the car to be a solid seller.

LMAO lets not even go there... how about a SIMPLE vanity mirror !!! the rear camera is out of 2000 acord, no blind spot detector, no HUD, no top view camera (A FREAKING CIVIC has this option..) No lift or front camera, no ambient lights (the car is super boring at night night time no lights ANY WHERE) no electronic folding mirrors I can keept going but you get the point..

LMAO lets not even go there... how about a SIMPLE vanity mirror !!! the rear camera is out of 2000 acord, no blind spot detector, no HUD, no top view camera (A FREAKING CIVIC has this option..) No lift or front camera, no ambient lights (the car is super boring at night night time no lights ANY WHERE) no electronic folding mirrors I can keept going but you get the point..
Now that you have pointed all this out I am returning my car to the dealer for a refund; wish me luck. :)
Honestly you are correct it doesn't make sense not to have all these options that are currently available on Honda's other models.

Some of those options you mentioned are not available on Lamborghini or McLaren either, at some point these fancy electronic gadgets are just one more thing to break down in the near future so HUD, top view camera is not a deal breaker.

HOWEVER the blind spot is most certainly nice to have for such a low slung sports car ad the ambient lighting and front lift are definitely needed options. The folding mirrors are a big missing item as they do stick out quite a bit.

Maybe these can be 2019+ improvements :)

Some of those options you mentioned are not available on Lamborghini or McLaren either, at some point these fancy electronic gadgets are just one more thing to break down in the near future so HUD, top view camera is not a deal breaker.

HOWEVER the blind spot is most certainly nice to have for such a low slung sports car ad the ambient lighting and front lift are definitely needed options. The folding mirrors are a big missing item as they do stick out quite a bit.

Maybe these can be 2019+ improvements :)

But again IMO that's where they should of made a BIG difference and stand out from the rest.. just like they did on the peformance aspesct of the car with the hybrid system, but when A CIVIC AND THE ACCORD have all this things... ????? so what are we going to say about the VANITY MIRROR its going to break in the near future ?? the turth is that I love the looks and the peformance of the car but lets just face it its very boring in regards to gages.. the rear view CAMERA drives me insane on how BAD it looks and no lift or front camera its just a must in fact I am taking to a local shop so they can see if we can retro fit a front camera... because its that bad !! anywhere I go I have to reverse park the damm car as I dont want to take the chance and hit the nose on the concrete stopers (since the front sensors are also USELESS)

Now that you have pointed all this out I am returning my car to the dealer for a refund; wish me luck. :)
Honestly you are correct it doesn't make sense not to have all these options that are currently available on Honda's other models.

I know thats the part that I dont understand... the interior is so damm boring in regards to gages.. we get NOTHING !! just the sound of the blow off valve LMAO

It doesn’t help that the few options for the low nose is drilling and mounting skateboard rails to the bumper???
I mean really, I’d never drill the bumper on a car such as this.

I believe Acura also has some glue on protective strips but I haven't seen them on a car
There’s a shinzu grease kit available.:biggrin: Doesn’t that piss you guys off? These cars are rolling condos. Surely they can deal with these issues? Just saying. I don’t own a gen 2 but I enjoy hearing what owners have to say about it.:wink:

I have only had a few minor rubs to the bottom of the nose from parking area to street transitions and I have had the car about 16 months.

I guess I don't really want to park very many places so the grade constraint doesn't impact my use of the car.

I still like to rip on Turd for his shcru ups. Hopefully they will replace him with a consumer oriented person, and the refreshed cars will have more features and customization available (and the pentagon grill, oh well).

I’ve been shopping around for a gen 2 secretly. But I want an upgraded model. I think we are still a year or two away from getting issues under wraps. I want a 100% stock car. No garage made parts. My gen 1 has all that but I will still never sell it. You can quote me on that.... Man, I just wish they would do something. A car cannot last in this market without revisions to current platforms and the worst part is, the engineering is totally there....

Back