• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Guess I am kind of a new NSX owner!

Hi there to everyone in the NSX community! I would like to introduce myself here to the forums, and I have been a LONG TIME lurker on these boards! I think I found out about this board through an NSX Magazine, in which I forgot the name (but I remember it had a picture of an NSX on the middle of the cover and the borders were white, and I remember it had pictures of an NSX meet, I think).

I registered actually a long time ago but I forgot my Username/Password, so I started a new one, I hope that is not against the rules! I check in here from time to time, and I even remember that super large off-topic thread where that guy said he was a gambler or something and won an NSX (not sure, I just knew the thread was super huge and people had his real I.D etc). I also was here reading when someone first posted/scanned pages from an article in a car magazine (dont remember which one) where Ayrton Senna was driving and the writer was sitting beside him. I actually had that magazine I think, not sure.

Anyways, I guess here is my introduction, hope it is not too long!

Lets start off by saying that my father purchased the NSX in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, when the car was first produced in 1991. I was 14 at the time (I am 32 now), and I was literally going wtf in my brain when he brought it home. I was like this was one of the most beautiful car that I had ever seen. My father was a car enthusiast, as he modified an 1973 MGB, he also modified a original blue 1970ish (dont know the exact year, was too young, and my mom doesnt remember, lol) DeTomaso Pantera into a red-Ferrari looking type car. He had a thing for Mid-Engine cars, and I remember him letting me switch gears from the passenger side as a child, in which I LOVED to do. I can also add that he loved his tires, as his old 1980-ish Toyota Diesel 2.4 even had 15" Pirellis on them (The truck is still in my garage and the treads are brand new!). He even modded a 1975 Jaguar with a Mustang engine and turned it into a 5-speed.

I am sad to say (*sips wine) that he passed away in 2005 at a young age of 54 due to an unexpected heart attack. But I remember telling him about this website, but he really wasnt into the forums thing at the time, as he was busy pursuing his business.

He was a very busy business man, and he had businesses in Asia, Calgary, and Saskatchewan. We moved from Edmonton to Vancouver when I was 13-14, but we still kept our house in Edmonton. Here is the thing, the NSX ALWAYS stayed in Edmonton, and NEVER left. The MGB, Jaguar, was driven/shipped back and forth from Edmonton and Vancouver. The NSX, he kept it in a garage, and barely drove it, as he was always travelling back and forth. I also remember, that I bugged him all the time to bring it over to our permanant residence in Vancouver, but I was young then, and I dont think he really wanted me to drive it as it was his baby lol. Heck, he drove the old diesel Toyota more than the NSX, driving back and forth from Vancouver and Edmonton. I also know he loved the mountainous views of the Rockies!

Whenever he went back to Edmonton though, he would take short cruises, and I remember when I got my license in British Columbia and would go back to Edmonton for vacation, he would let me drive the NSX around. I remember getting the looks I was getting and thoroughly enjoyed it (I was young at the time, I know, but I was like a young kid showing off a Ferrari, heh). All I remember was that I was shaking when I drove it, as I didnt have that much experience, and it was SO LOW, and that I was getting a lot of attention, lol.

Well, when my father passed away I had to take over his business, and managed to do all right, and now I am for the past year, stable. We plan to sell our Edmonton house, and we went there over this weekend to visit some family.

I guess you can consider me a new owner, since it is now mine, and now I finally got to take pics of this beauty. I havent been back to Edmonton in awhile, and man, this NSX is really gorgeous. Here is the kicker, it only has 1500 Kms ^^. I never had a chance to drive it, as my dad disconnected the battery. BUT I TOOK PICS lol. There are no modifications done to it, everything is original, except for the rims, which are 19" SSR rims. He still has the originals with perfect tread. He did add a lamb skin seat cover on the drivers side (as he did with most of his cars, LOL).

I am posting now because since everything business wise is fine, I can now focus on cleaning out my Edmonton house and bringing it here in Vancouver! Not sure whether to drive it or ship it, and I STILL have to figure out what maintenence issues I have to deal with on the 1991 model if I decide to drive it over here from Edmonton to Vancouver. I also gonna be visiting this site A LOT more, and I already know that this is an awesome, friendly, tight community! Anways, thanks for hearing my story, and I think my dad would have loved this site!

Here are the pics, but they are taken from the garage only, as I was only in Edmonton for the weekend, and was busy visiting family, so sorry in advance if I couldnt get any better pics!

*Edit: Let me also add, I am a proud owner of an 2008 E90 BMW M3, but man, I am waiting to get cornering with this baby!
**Edit: I have a photobucket acount, and I had to re-size (shrink these photos) as attachments, but I do have the normal pics on my computer. I am not good internet wise, but I do have a photobucket account, can I post the larger pics on this thread? Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• P1000506PRIME.jpg
    P1000506PRIME.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 657
  • P100051PRIME.jpg
    P100051PRIME.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 610
  • P1000507PRIME.jpg
    P1000507PRIME.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 537
  • P1000512PRIME.jpg
    P1000512PRIME.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 588
  • P1000509PRIME.jpg
    P1000509PRIME.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 542
  • P1000511PRIME.jpg
    P1000511PRIME.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 476
  • P1000515prime.jpg
    P1000515prime.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 489
  • P1000514PRIME.jpg
    P1000514PRIME.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 578
  • P1000504PRIME.jpg
    P1000504PRIME.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 440
  • P1000505PRIME.jpg
    P1000505PRIME.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:
Yes you are talking about NSXDRIVER Magazine. I just got mines yesterday. :smile:

Last edited:
How young is young?

Last edited:
Ray.k, 1st welcome to the world of NSX ownership. For me this 1st 9 months of ownership is amazing, a truly wonderful and rewarding car to own. Most importantly, the loss of your dad has probably be a challenge of greatest proportions, sorry for your loss. I'm 54 and hopefully with many years in the future, time will tell!!

Such low mileage on the car offers potentially many challenges. I would use the search function and read up as much as you can on the car. As for driving the car across Canada I'd advise against it. You should look to others on this site to get a very reputable NSX mechanic to look over the car in Vancouver. Look at establishing a "baseline". That is performing an assessment and replacement of parts and services that make the car reliable. From there you can enjoy many years of ownership. An example of baseline would be tires. If they are 19 years old, I'd replace then. mechanically wise there is a risk of not doing stuff. I'd say drive the car for 10,000 km 1st then address things.

But let me stop here, read about all sorts of stuff on this site and make your own decisions. If unsure, ask for feedback on this site. Happy ownership. pm me as I'm planning on visiting Vancouver later this year to Coquitlam...

How young is young?

Errr..dont remember at the moment, on my 2nd bottle of Merlot at the moment, but I was ABLE to drive at least, so maybe from 16-ish? In Alberta back then, it was 14yrs for Learners and 16 for Drivers!:biggrin:

Ray.k, 1st welcome to the world of NSX ownership. For me this 1st 9 months of ownership is amazing, a truly wonderful and rewarding car to own. Most importantly, the loss of your dad has probably be a challenge of greatest proportions, sorry for your loss. I'm 54 and hopefully with many years in the future, time will tell!!

Such low mileage on the car offers potentially many challenges. I would use the search function and read up as much as you can on the car. As for driving the car across Canada I'd advise against it. You should look to others on this site to get a very reputable NSX mechanic to look over the car in Vancouver. Look at establishing a "baseline". That is performing an assessment and replacement of parts and services that make the car reliable. From there you can enjoy many years of ownership. An example of baseline would be tires. If they are 19 years old, I'd replace then. mechanically wise there is a risk of not doing stuff. I'd say drive the car for 10,000 km 1st then address things.

But let me stop here, read about all sorts of stuff on this site and make your own decisions. If unsure, ask for feedback on this site. Happy ownership. pm me as I'm planning on visiting Vancouver later this year to Coquitlam...

I was thinking the same thing, totally appreciate your opinion. My brother wanted to drive it, and I would be the passenger/or we would switch, but I was always on the "ship" it side. I am gonna do some thorough research on what I need to upgrade/repair/replace/change on my '91.

This thing is really brand new exterior wise, even for 19 years of age, but for the interior/recalls-if-there-are-any, I am oblivious.

Thanks for the feed back. This is one of my most favourite forums, as I know people here are stand up people, I didnt want to post in the past 10 years because I had no pics, but I would still lurk~!:tongue:

Errr..dont remember at the moment, on my 2nd bottle of Merlot at the moment, but I was ABLE to drive at least, so maybe from 16-ish? In Alberta back then, it was 14yrs for Learners and 16 for Drivers!:biggrin:

Well I was 15 when the car came out in 91.....never even dreamed of getting to own one. :smile:

Happy Motoring!

As I have recently posted, I'm an NSX purist, so keep the car original and don't modify, we are a dying breed. Also keep all records of work done to the car......records matter!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Well I was 15 when the car came out in 91.....never even dreamed of getting to own one. :smile:

Happy Motoring!

I know what you mean, my past cars were a Civic Si, RX-8, and now an BMW. Each car was driven through a certain age group in chrono order:

-Used Civic Si (University Days), great little hatchback, so fun to drive, given as a Univ. Gift, stolen and total lossed.

-RX-8 (Working the job after Univ. days), cool innovative 4 seater, and I still have it, bought through finance

-///M3 (Successfull somewhat at my current job), V8 power, nice handling, cool seats, lol.

But man, once I saw the NSX again, I got so PUMPED and HAPPY, and forgot about everything I have ever driven! Man they better make a new one, because I will own it for sure~!:biggrin:

Last edited:
As I have recently posted, I'm an NSX purist, so keep the car original and don't modify, we are a dying breed. Also keep all records of work done to the car......records matter!!:biggrin::biggrin:

My dad would have said the same. I am gonna leave the car as-is! (aside from the minor repairs that are needed for a 1991). But as for the engine, etc. everything is going to be untouched!

Welcome to the forum, that's going to be one seriously well preserved original owner car. Congratulations to you.

Before you drive it, I would find a reputable mechanic and have the tb/wp, plus all belts done, harmonic balancer shield as well. Would also check the cam plugs and seals, they are probably ok though, and nothing catastropic will happen if they are weeping oil and you could just replace them then, or wait til you need to get your valves adjusted.

I would also flush all fluids.

Just my$.02

I know you might think it only has 1500KM's but 19 years is a long time for rubber. Think you would be better off driving it with the peace of mind that service is up to date.

Also look into the tranny snap ring issue to see if yours was in range. Also might want to consider the window fix-it thingies from SOS.

All I can think of right now.

Again welcome to the forum!!

My dad would have said the same. I am gonna leave the car as-is! (aside from the minor repairs that are needed for a 1991). But as for the engine, etc. everything is going to be untouched!

You are going to leave it as-is until you get bit by the mod bug like most of us do....then you will see what a empty wallet looks like....:eek::biggrin:

Welcome to the forum, that's going to be one seriously well preserved original owner car. Congratulations to you.

Before you drive it, I would find a reputable mechanic and have the tb/wp, plus all belts done, harmonic balancer shield as well. Would also check the cam plugs and seals, they are probably ok though, and nothing catastropic will happen if they are weeping oil and you could just replace them then, or wait til you need to get your valves adjusted.

Just my$.02

I know you might think it only has 1500KM's but 19 years is a long time for rubber. Think you would be better off driving it with the peace of mind that service is up to date.

Also look into the tranny snap ring issue to see if yours was in range. Also might want to consider the window fix-it thingies from SOS.

Thank you so much, I knew there was a reason why I loved this forum!:smile: I probably wont be transporting it to Vancouver until this summer, so I will DEFINETLY be researching what crucial updates that my NSX needs. The old mail re-call issues to my Edmonton have been tossed I am guessing, if there are any, so I will reading/searching/faqing this site a lot! Thanks for the advice~!

You are going to leave it as-is until you get bit by the mod bug like most of us do....then you will see what a empty wallet looks like....:eek::biggrin:

Naw, I can personally guarantee this car will be left 100% the way it is for awhile, except for the wheels.

That was my dad's style/modus operandi. He would drive it until there were problems/needed upgrade, and THEN he would shell out the cash to mod!:biggrin:

He had to fully appreciate the normal state first I think of the car, then when it breaks down, he could justify upgrading and improving it, as he was with most aspects of his life ^^

Naw, I can personally guarantee this car will be left 100% the way it is for awhile, except for the wheels.

That was my dad's style/modus operandi. He would drive it until there were problems/needed upgrade, and THEN he would shell out the cash to mod!:biggrin:

He had to fully appreciate the normal state first I think of the car, then when it breaks down, he could justify upgrading and improving it, as he was with most aspects of his life ^^

Ray.k, I'm starting to like you mate...keep your car a stocker....

Just my$.02

Agree with fluid flush, but 1st needs that NSX expert mechanic review...

Agree with fluid flush, but 1st needs that NSX expert mechanic review...

I totally agree with all of you. I am now researching the top Edmonton Acura/Honda mechanics (if I decide to drive it back to Vancouver), and the Vancouver mechanics (if I decide to ship).

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

I totally agree with all of you. I am now researching the top Edmonton Acura/Honda mechanics (if I decide to drive it back to Vancouver), and the Vancouver mechanics (if I decide to ship).

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

I would post in the Canada section to find a reputable NSX mechanic or perhaps Prime member Angus (believe he's in that area) can point you in the direction of someone familiar with the NSX. You need to find someone who knows this car, not just familiar with Honda's/Acura's. I would hate to see something bad happend to such a well preserved example of this car because some schmuch "thought" he knew Acura's/Hondas well.

Welcome Ray - you are surely one lucky guy. You have just inherited what they call an excellent barn find! Ok so you are already in high cotton, as we say down here in the south.

The big deal with these timing belts is stretching and even with the age of this one I would say that it's time to replace it - will it break if you drive it -- most likely not. If I were guessing and you took your belt out - you would see no difference between it and a new belt! With only 1500 miles - is it miles on the speedometer or kilometers? If it's miles then that's of course what your odometer is reading. But that is nothing.

Fluids, hoses, those are things I'd check immediately. If it hasn't been driven at all then you might want to flush the fuel lines but it sounds like it may have been driven periodically. You'll have to be the judge of that or better still like Shawn says -"get the to a good mechanic - read expert on NSXs type mechanic. There should be one in your area - write Larry Bastanza to see if he has a list in Edmonton, he's the current president of the NSX club of America or NSXCA. A big prime contributer and excellent mechanic in the NY area - he has a shop. Great person to know for advice. A good inspection of the vehicle is something I'd do for sure. Just to check things out - but most likely since it was stored in a climate controlled space it looks like it will be in good shape. In most every way. A good overall fluid change service, check out all points..brakes, just everything and then count of at least replaceing your TB - I wouldn't even change the water pump - I mean it's new and after all it costs 275 bucks - why spend it if you don't need it - whether you are "in there or not". That WP will last as long as the new belt will! Then replace the rubber coolant hoses and possibly the brake lines at the 4 corners. I bet everything checks out really well. You should get out with a service of only 2000 or so. Something like that.

You are so lucky. If it were me, I'd take the original wheels to the tire shop and have some tires sent from tire rack that fit them and drive the original wheels - in my opinion they look great and you'll experience how that car was designed to handle. 19s may look good but that's not the right sized rim for that car at all. Not with a totally stock car - no way. You can prove it to yourself. The tires for the original rims are cheap. Do yourself a big favor and see what I mean. It will drive like a "go cart" with the OEM rims!

Yes - drive it and if you not just a track crazed junky or a speed performance demon - you will be very satisfied with the OEM performance except for one thing - get yourself a set of headers or later model headers off a 96 or so and you'll notice a difference! There is plenty of time to search that out or research that adnauseum. Lots of advice for that. Comptech headers are great - I think SOS (science of speed) has them. Others will correct me if I'm wrong - they always do....:biggrin:.

Have fun Ray, you are going to I know it....how could you not.

Welcome.

It really depends what you want to do with it. Do you want to make it a garage queen or drive and enjoy it?

This is extremely low miles and mint condition. I personally would not drive it across the country. Too many rock chips.

Just keep it stock, except for the rims. I would keep the stock rims though just so you can restore it back.

Comptech headers are great - I think SOS (science of speed) has them. Others will correct me if I'm wrong - they always do....:biggrin:.

Have fun Ray, you are going to I know it....how could you not.

Tim, I'll leave the rest of your post alone...that said if I were going to buy headers, I would look into the Cantrells or the Taitec headers, better gains, similar amount of money:wink:

Love fab is developing some new ones that look promising but they aren't going to be in the same price range, do not get a header with a flex joint, such as the DC as they are prove to crack, the ball-socket joint ones hold up better.

I wish you the welcome on NSX Prime… congratulation for your beautiful NSX :smile:

Back