• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hagarty Auto Insurance

I recently applied for insurance coverage for my NSX due the large amount of money I had spent on my car, most of which was to improve the performance of my car when I compete in track time trials. I just received a notice from Hagarty that they have declined to cover my car because of the mods that I have made, and because I compete I time trials.

My question, has anyone here has also been denied coverage for the same reasons? Are any you that are covered by Hagarty and that they know about your mods and also that you compete in time trials?

thanks,

Mario

Hagerty will not cover the actual time on a track, but will cover it's transport to and from the track. You will have to get a "rider" from another insurance company for on track coverage.

https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/motorsports-insurance

Yes, it is understood that Hagarty will not cover my on-track activities, but they stated that because of my time trial participation, they will not insure my car. This is puzzling in that I understand that I'm not covered while on the track, the policy states that I'm not covered while on the track, and therefore Hagarty is not liable for loss inured when I'm on the track. However, one of the reasons that they refuse to insure my car is because I participate in time trial?????

The other reason that I have been denied coverage is due to the modifications I have made to my car, including suspension modifications, aerodynamics modifications, chassis stiffening and the installation of a supercharger. I bet that there are NSX's that are currently insured by Hagerty, and have the have modifications similar to mine!

So, I'm hoping that can hear from my fellow NSX's owners with modified cars, and who participate in time trails, and yet are still insured by Hagarty.

I'm also going to talk with the Hagarty representative that attended this years NSXPO, to see what he has to say.

Thanks

Without making any judgement about your actual driving style or record, it is possible that based upon the information you provided, Haggerty has profiled you and determined that you are a customer that does not fit within their desired risk profile.

Without making any judgement about your actual driving style or record, it is possible that based upon the information you provided, Haggerty has profiled you and determined that you are a customer that does not fit within their desired risk profile.

I think that you are correct. My car car is heavily modified for track performance, but it also has many aesthetics modifications, and i participate in time trials 4 to 5 times a year. However, in my application I stated that I had taken several high performance and safe driving courses and received certificates of course completion, and that I have been certified to be a solo driver due to my experience, training, and proven safety record on the track. I'm also an older driver (65), so I'm not a young guy who is fearless and has nothing loose when they get on the track. Older guys tend to me more careful!

I sent an e-mail to the Hagarty rep that was at this years NSXPO, to get a detailed explanation for why I was denied coverage. I'll let everyone know what he says!

Thanks,

Bingo. I was denied coverage since I told them I was planning to drive about 4-5k miles a year. They made it very clear to me they wanted to see less than 2k miles a year, basically driving to and from shows.

Mcano, check out safeco insurance. It is who I have. You can set whatever limit you want for value. Not sure on the hpde stuff but worth a check. I pay 95 bucks a month for a total value set at 45,000 that I value it at.

Bingo. I was denied coverage since I told them I was planning to drive about 4-5k miles a year. They made it very clear to me they wanted to see less than 2k miles a year, basically driving to and from shows.

That lines up with my take on Haggerty based upon their advertising. They target collectors (people who collect cars and occasionally drive them), not drivers and very definitely not drivers with sporting inclinations. That is not saying anything negative about Haggerty, its just the business that they are interested in.

it is precisely based on risk...

That lines up with my take on Haggerty based upon their advertising. They target collectors (people who collect cars and occasionally drive them), not drivers and very definitely not drivers with sporting inclinations. That is not saying anything negative about Haggerty, its just the business that they are interested in.

Same experience that I have had with them as well. I use them to insure my E30 (<2k mi. driven per year) and they have been great, but when I tried to use them for my 911, I was basically told that because I wanted to drive more than 5k / year I should look into other options.

For collectors' insurance though, they seem to be good, at least I've had a decent experience with them so far.

Mcano, check out safeco insurance. It is who I have. You can set whatever limit you want for value. Not sure on the hpde stuff but worth a check. I pay 95 bucks a month for a total value set at 45,000 that I value it at.

I just saw your post! thanks, I'll give them a call!!!!!

I just saw your post! thanks, I'll give them a call!!!!!

My general thoughts on Haggerty and Grundy are they are great if you never leave the garage... I had Grundy for 2 full years until I read a thread much like this one on Prime.. then called grundy... they did not even want me to drive to my mothers for an hour and leave it in her driveway... really

my .02

My general thoughts on Haggerty and Grundy are they are great if you never leave the garage... I had Grundy for 2 full years until I read a thread much like this one on Prime.. then called grundy... they did not even want me to drive to my mothers for an hour and leave it in her driveway... really

my .02
Not what I was told by Grundy.

Not what I was told by Grundy.

I have to disagree, most of these companies are very restrictive on where you go with your car. We drive NSXs not Ford Model T's or and exotics that breaks down every 2,000 miles! And their premiums are really, really expensive.

I still have not heard back from the Hagarty rep from NSXPO. In the business world, no news is bad news!

I have Hagerty on my NSX and 911. My 911 is gutted with an 8 point cage, widebody, and is an obvious track car, while my nsx has a roll bar and aero on it. I have never had a problem with them, and they are by far the best insurance company I've ever made a claim with. It sounds to me like there may be another reason the declined coverage. I even spent 20 minutes talking to their representative about club racing, since also had an e36 track car.
If they'll cover my beaters, they'll cover anything lol

Last edited:
Back