• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hallett, OKlahoma track is awesome

I just got back from a track session at Hallett, OK, 1.8 miles, 10 turns and it is awesome for a NSX.

Having been to TWS and Heartland Park I like the Hallett track alot better even though the facilities sucks. It has elevation changes, blind turns and very technical. I definitely learned alot more there than TWS. I would encourage anyone to go if they are in the area.

I have yet to talk with anyone that has not enjoyed the technical nature of Hallett Motor Speedway. Experienced drivers appreciate the challenge while first time drivers can build a learning curve without dangerous concrete or metal barriers. And you are correct, The NSX does very well there. A few weeks ago several NSX's were there and proved to be the class of the field. Lap times were generally around 1 minute 35 -39 seconds with a SC turning 1:31. (and that was his first weekend there)

As for the facilities. There is a new owner this year who is committed to some serious improvements. Starting with the track which will get some much needed repaving this summer when temperatures allow.

For anybody that has ever wanted to drive their NSX the way it was intended to be driven, Hallett offers a High Speed Touring event every month that cost $75.00 per day plus a HST License for $35.00 (good for the whole year). With normally 6 sessions per day that's a lot of fun for the money. Even if you don't want to track your car on a regular basis even one day will give you a great sense of what your car can do.

Khuang,

AhHa, there you are! I lost my email archive and wasn't able to get a hold of you before the Hallett event. But I'm glad to hear you had a good time.

My first event was there late Feb and I had a blast - even though I fried my clutch. There were about 5 NSX's duking it out. Vaughn, Marc, and Doug were kind of enough to trailer me back to Tulsa. The NSX's were by far the most numerous there - kinda surprising. The quickest at the track that day were a yellow Z06, a red Lingenfelter C4, and a 500+ HP Supra. All three were running on Goodyear slicks.

Norm is certainly right. The new owners, Stephens Brothers, are planning a multitude of track and facility improvements this summer so it should be an even better experience.

I think the 500 HP Supra ran 1:29, I would think a NSX can do better times with street tires. I did high one minute 30's as this is my first time at Hallett and I only have 2 days worth of driving school. I definitely could be faster in most of the turns. I think if the NSX has gears it would be very helpful for turn #2. As for my e-mail try [email protected], my other e-mail doesn't work anyways.

The quickest at the track that day were a yellow Z06, a red Lingenfelter C4, and a 500+ HP Supra. All three were running on Goodyear slicks.

Norm is certainly right. The new owners, Stephens Brothers, are planning a multitude of track and facility improvements this summer so it should be an even better experience.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Wow, $75 a day, that is dirt cheap!!! How long is the sessions, (20 minutes)? Also how many cars are there per group? I think a SC NSX with gears on street tires is capable of mid 1:20's with a great driver. I figure it is like LimeRock 1.54 Mile course and a SC NSX did it in 61 seconds.

One thing Hallett is hard on tires, my Dunlop SP9000's got about 400 track miles and a few highway miles and it is totally bald.

Hallett offers a High Speed Touring event every month that cost $75.00 per day plus a HST License for $35.00 (good for the whole year). With normally 6 sessions per day that's a lot of fun for the money. Even if you don't want to track your car on a regular basis even one day will give you a great sense of what your car can do. [/B][/QUOTE]

I would think an SC NSX w/ slicks would do better at Hallett too. Here's the deal: Marc Weinberg(sp?) was there w/ his SC NSX and I think the Supra was quicker. Now, it wasn't apples to apples for sure - Marc has stock suspension except for stiffer sways and the Supra had coilovers. And probably the greatest difference is that the Supra driver was experienced at Hallett while this was Marc's first time. But still, the end result is the end result, the Supra was quicker. Turn #2 was the hardest for me - that's the one w/ decreasing in elevation w/ a hard slow speed left turn. This is provided you ran counter clockwise. I always seemed to end up overshooting the corner. I just told everybody that I was late apexing
wink.gif

I'll private you w/ info on the Porsche Club Driver Ed event at Hallett when I get it. Hopefully, you're interested . . . but it's right around the corner.

Shawn

PS - I ran high 30's too. Toasted the clutch but had a blast
smile.gif

Dad took me out to Hallett last August & I had the opportunity to ride shot-gun in a superbly driven NSX. I really enjoyed experiencing the NSX flexing its muscles through the technical course. the track experience was pleasant reminder of how well engineered the NSX is. The car seems to be stuck to the road like glue, and in the right hands it can be a world class contender...just ask Peter Cunningham!

------------------
See you all in Wisconsin!

I just found the pictures I took while I was @ Hallett last August. This is a shot from the passenger side of Dave Spaulding's NSX as we are waiting to get on the track for High Speed Touring, look carefully and you may see Chris Vincent's 1994 NSX waiting behind us. The picture quality is not so good, but then I was wearing a full face helmet at the time.

View

Thanks for the ride Dave! I was smiling ear to ear!
smile.gif

------------------
See you all in Wisconsin!

The Supra owner has a single turbo setup and obviously he would shine on a bigger track such as TWS. He also ran in TWS and ran 2:06 or so, which is the time my car turned with Karl driving with a screwup suspension. Now the Supra turned a 1:29 at Hallett and stock rubber SC NSX will turn that and I know my friend would smoke that time his first time down there as it all comes down to driver and how fast one can adopt to a new course.

Marc is actually my instructor at TWS in February, 2001. On turn 2, I think I would try a normal apex next time and see if one can make turn 3 as a late apex really make you go through turn 3 really slower per my tape sessions.

I guess you easily out drove me as my car is supercharged and have the suspension mods. Thanks for making me feel even worst, just joking. I check the Porsche club drivers ed and probably can't make it as I am thinking about moving to Orlando, FL.. If you or anyone is interested, come to the Porsche club in Topeka's Heartland park April 28, 29. You can check on availability on http://www.pca.org/gpl/

They require a 2.5 lb fire extinguisher inside the car. The time thing is just a way to judge my skill. I am not there to smoke anyone, at least not yet. Once I am ready then I will do time trials and compete. Driving school is just for practice. Too bad I didn't get to meet you last week.

Originally posted by Ponyboy:
I would think an SC NSX w/ slicks would do better at Hallett too. Here's the deal: Marc Weinberg(sp?) was there w/ his SC NSX and I think the Supra was quicker. Now, it wasn't apples to apples for sure - Marc has stock suspension except for stiffer sways and the Supra had coilovers. And probably the greatest difference is that the Supra driver was experienced at Hallett while this was Marc's first time. But still, the end result is the end result, the Supra was quicker. Turn #2 was the hardest for me - that's the one w/ decreasing in elevation w/ a hard slow speed left turn. This is provided you ran counter clockwise. I always seemed to end up overshooting the corner. I just told everybody that I was late apexing
wink.gif

I'll private you w/ info on the Porsche Club Driver Ed event at Hallett when I get it. Hopefully, you're interested . . . but it's right around the corner.

Shawn

PS - I ran high 30's too. Toasted the clutch but had a blast
smile.gif

Back