• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hard shifting

Hi all. My 91 NSX is shifting hard when i come off of freeway ramp. Its hard to shift from 5th to 4th when i am slowing down. The car has 75k miles on it and i have no records on this car.The car is in a great shape inside out, but this little thing is making me worried.I hope its not that snap ring thing that i know nothing about. I hope its just the clutch but i dont think so cus i was told that if it was the cutch my RPM would go up and the car wont move much. If it is the clutch anyone knows how much it'll cost to get it fixed soon before it gets in more expensive repair? I also am worreid about the timingbelt dono when it was replaced as will how much would that be? I guess i need to know if my is not in any snap ring range first cus if it is i'll just sell it and get a newer 94-96 nsx and then spend money on itI really wana have an NSX for a long time and i dont need one that'll give me problems. So far no problems at all i had the car for a year and now its starting to kinda not shift smoothly from 5th to 4th but other gears are ok except that when i am in first gear i dono why i cant release the clutch properlly it seems like i am riding the clutch alittle too hard. Any good NSx shops in seattle are like Marck-basch who is in arizona and are so good i heard.

If it is the clutch anyone knows how much it'll cost to get it fixed soon before it gets in more expensive repair?

I don't know, but a clutch replacement runs about $2K (parts and labor).

I also am worreid about the timingbelt dono when it was replaced as will how much would that be?

Around $1200. If I had a '91 and I didn't know whether it was ever done, I would assume it had never been done, and have it done NOW.

BTW, you can find these prices yourself in the FAQ, in the "Costs" section under "Maintenance".

I guess i need to know if my is not in any snap ring range first

That's easy enough to check yourself. There are instructions in the FAQ.

cus if it is i'll just sell it

That's really not necessary. If you have a snap ring car, you should be fine if you just follow the advice from Mark Basch here.

Salaam,

There are two types of clutch failures. One is what you describe, which is slipping, when the clutch is worn out. The other is hard shifting due to possibly a broken spring on a clutch disk, or a broken pin on the flywheel. IF it is that, and I am not sure if it is yet, you will need to do the clutch. If so, the trans is out, you can check in the FAQ to see if your trans is in the range and have that taken care of at the same time. (I am thinking you will add about $800-$1000 to the clutch job)

Mark Basch mentioned a way to be conclusive about the clutch for case #2 above. If it is hard shifting, with the car at a standstill, with the engine running, depress the clutch and do the 5th/4th downshift, if it is hard, repeat it with the engine off. If it shifts easily with the engine not running, it's case #2 above.

Also, if the car (trans) is in the "snap-ring range", (You must check the trans number)you will need a new trans case and a few other associated parts, that is also in the FAQ in TSB 93-010. The service bulletin lays out the parts list required for the fix. Go here to see it, plus the transmission numbers: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/transmission.htm

HTH,
LarryB

When I test drove my NSX when it arrived in kalamazoo, I went to a parking lot to practice a bit, and when I was going at really slow speeds, the gears would grind a bit when i shift from 1 to 2. When I stop the car and immediately shift to 2nd gear from neutral, it was no problem. When I took it out on the road however, and drive at regular speeds (on a 45 mph road), shifting regularly (as though I was driving a civic, and not revving it very high), it was no problem.

Is this some sort of preventive thing that you cant shift or do not recommend shifting from 1st to 2nd when the speeds are really low? Or is there something wrong with the gears? My tranny is not in snap ring range for all I know (Tranny # for me is J4AL-1001171)

Any thoughts?

The 2-1 shift in an earlier model 3.0L tranny has a bit of a ..W--I--D--E gap between the gear ratio's. This makes for some seriously tough shifting from 2-1. Heel toe down shift or match the Rev' and it should slip into gear smoothly and nicely. Although not as nicely as the 6-speed.

The car should shift smoothly from first to second. There is no preventive thing like the previous generation Corvettes that forced you to shift from first to fourth.

(Tranny # for me is J4AL-1001171)

Definitely not in snap ring range.

Thank you every one for replying. Sorry i was away for work and couldnt respond sooner thanks. mustafa.

Sorry i forgot those anyone know Marck basch's phone number. I'd like to call him and talk to him and maybe drive down to get some work done dono how far it is from seattle to where his shop is. thanks mustafa.

Originally posted by [email protected]:
Sorry i forgot those anyone know Marck basch's phone number.

602-244-8010.

I'd like to call him and talk to him and maybe drive down to get some work done dono how far it is from seattle to where his shop is.

His shop is in Phoenix, Arizona, about 1500 miles from Seattle.

Thanks everyone. Thank you NSXTASY its not so bad i guess 1500 miles maybe it'll be an enjoyable drive with the nsx lol.It'll be my first long trip with my car so let's see. I'll call Marck up and talk to him alittle. For the mean time i'll just drive around with my car and hopefully nothing will go wrong. thanks mustafa.

Back