• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Having center console painted by the best...

The center console on my 1998 NSX was modified by the previous owner to accept a double DIN Alpine unit. They did an admirable job on the mod itself, but the paint they used was a few degrees cooler in tone, compared to the OEM console, door trim and AC bezel. And the quality of the prep and paint left much to be desired. As my interior is otherwise immaculate, this one area really bugged me.

Sorry for the blurry photo. You can see the matte cool gray color the center console was; the ashtray lid and AC vent bezel are the OEM warm gray finish:
image_zpsu64zunnb.jpeg

Here, you can see the color tone and glossiness mismatch, more clearly:
image_zpsen6fg0kv.jpeg

I first tried to touch up a few small imperfections. Screwed it up, which prompted me to send it out now, versus later in the summer, which was the original plan:
image_zpswknlsffp.jpeg

Some bubbling up of the OEM finish on the top edge of the AC vent bezel. Good time to have all three pieces painted together (console, bezel, ashtray lid).
image_zpsfu2la13z.jpeg

I don't know how many of you have heard of Eric and his company Bumperplugs. In the Porsche world, he has many, many loyal fans and repeat customers. He is the absolute best, in terms of painting interior (and some exterior) trim. He employs a very detailed and elaborate nineteen step process; the results are of the very highest quality. I had the center console of my 997.2 Carrera GTS painted by him, and I can attest to the quality and beauty of his work.

This is the center console he painted for me:
image.jpg1_zps4sihvn64.jpg

image.jpg3_zpstuygw097.jpg

Anyway, Eric and I are now working on having my center console (and AC vent bezel) stripped, prepped properly, and painted. I was considering going with a piano black finish, or even a metallic black, both of which he can do easily; in the end, I decided to have Eric match the OEM warm gray of the original finish. We are going for a 60-70% gloss finish, which should brighten up the area very subtly, while essentially maintaining the factory aesthetic.

The main thing here is that I know the finish will be extremely durable, and very even and smooth. For me, this is definitely one of those things I want to have done right once, only. Though not cheap, I know his pricing will be reasonable, considering the quality of the results. We have yet to finalize the price, but I believe it will be in the $400-600 range; the cost may possibly be a bit less, going forward, now that he is familiar with these pieces.

Btw, I am in no way affiliated with Eric or his company. I'm just an avid fan and very satisfied repeat customer. I'd not trust my cars to anyone else. Not only does he do amazing work, he is truly a gentleman, and is very thorough with his communication. Just thought I'd share this info here, as I'm sure many fellow owners need to have this done as well, either on OEM pieces, or modified ones. My NSX will be the first one he's worked on; my point is, he will now be able to work on these consoles and trim pieces, going forward.

Please look up Eric and Bumperplugs, should you need the same for your car. (http://www.bumperplugs.com) Well, maybe wait for me to post up photos of the finished results first. ;)

Last edited:
Subscribed. looking forward for the finished product.

I agree that Bumperplugs does great work. I used at have a Boxster and then a 996 cabriolet and his company is well known and respected in the Porsche community. Send pics when you have completed the work.
Eric

I'm very excited and happy to report that my console and center vent bezel are finished and en route back to me now from Bumperplugs. They look amazing! Eric was able to work his magic, and match the OEM color 99% (his words). I asked for a slight amount of gloss to the finish. It's really a low sheen. I think they look amazing, and I can rest assured the finish will be tough and durable. I really love their work!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Also, I got so excited I ordered and installed a new Alpine head unit to go with the new console. I had a near new Alpine INE W940 in the car already; I got the INE W960 to replace it, but in reality, they are essentially exactly the same. Could've saved the money. Oh well. As an aside, I have that near mint INE W940 GPS receiver for sale here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...iver-Near-Mint-ONLY-290?p=1909566#post1909566

Btw, Eric now has the paint code nailed down for these. My car is a 1998 NA2. If you want to have this done, it will likely take a lot less time now, now that he has developed the proper paint code. ;)

Last edited:
Hmmm... Sad to report that maybe Eric is not taking on new NSX projects at this time. Maybe too time consuming to prep, compared to Porsche interior trim parts.

Idk. Still do contact him, if you want. Maybe when his load isn't as heavy; I know summer time is their busiest time.

Thanks, Prime.

Well, at this time, it looks like my console might end up being a one-off. I hope that as their load lightens up, they might be able/willing to take on other NSX projects. I have to say, the quality of the result is really outstanding. Far better than OEM. The color is deep and rich, and the sheen is a perfect level of glossiness. It's tough and durable, too.

Anyway, a quick photo of the result. I couldn't be any happier. New OEM shift boot, with panel and shift pattern, new OEM shift knob, new Alpine head unit, new iPhone mount, and new ashtray. ;)

image_zpstgapzor9.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice review - we build center consoles in both FRP and carbon. It would be nice to have Eric as a resource for the painting of dash panels!

Too bad he is not taking on more work - perhaps it's the prep time that is killing it.

This looks great! I have an aftermarket console that is starting to flake and wear...

They really bring down the whole interior when they do start to flake in earnest, IMO. Hope you find a reasonable solution. Good luck.

Good choice going with the OEM color.

yeah, I was going to switch it up, and even considered a piano black finish. In the end, I'm happy I did a very slightly glossier version of OEM. ;)

What mount is that?

The base is a PanaVise metal base. You have to remove the console to install it, but it's really a solid unit, and it fits perfectly. I was worried the glovebox would be obstructed, but it all works perfectly together. I have a ProClip phone base attached to it. They go together perfectly, as well. I really couldn't be happier with the two. The PanaVise has a nice matte black crinkle finish to it.

Nice review - we build center consoles in both FRP and carbon. It would be nice to have Eric as a resource for the painting of dash panels!

Too bad he is not taking on more work - perhaps it's the prep time that is killing it.

Yeah, it definitely sounds like the prep work was the issue. I know he really went above and beyond for me. I'll always be grateful.

Maybe if you're approaching him with a simpler, ready to prime/paint surface, he might reconsider. I believe he said getting the original finish completely off was a real PITA.

I highly suggest anyone who is serious about restoring their console, and who is willing to pay a hefty premium, but for a truly premium product, to still contact Eric and discuss it with him. Again, maybe starting from a non-OEM, high-quality starting point is the way to go. I'd certainly consider such an option, if I was to do it again.

Thanks, guys, for the kind words.

Back