• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hawaii Vacation

Im thinking about going to Hawaii in August for a nice vacation. If anyone has been there and can suggest places to go, hotels to stay at, things to do, it would be great to share your experiences.

Right now, I'm thinking about going to Oahu, and this hotel looks very nice. I've always wanted to swim with the dolphins.

http://www.mandarin-oriental.com/kahala/

If anyone has any suggestions let me know, whether it be hotels, or a different island to stay on.

I went to the Big Island and loved it! Playing at the volcano is priceless...I was only on Oahu for about 2 days total, it was much more "citylike" with waaay more people, but I didnt get to do much there. I am going back again, this time to do Maui and the big Island 1 more time...

Any of the Hawaii natives around here I am sure could get you better info then me..I mean what do I know I am just a stupid tourist lol...

Have fun if you do go!

BTW, Its nice to see you are still alive ...u do still have an NSX right? lol
Syonara said:
Im thinking about going to Hawaii in August for a nice vacation. If anyone has been there and can suggest places to go, hotels to stay at, things to do, it would be great to share your experiences.

Right now, I'm thinking about going to Oahu, and this hotel looks very nice. I've always wanted to swim with the dolphins.

http://www.mandarin-oriental.com/kahala/

If anyone has any suggestions let me know, whether it be hotels, or a different island to stay on.

Depends on your speed. If you want to be in a city and have night life go to Honolulu. If you want a more peaceful experience but still touristy (and great for kids) go to Maui. If you want to spend time with your SO w/o kids and just want the raw beauty go to Kauai. I have been to the last two, and will probably not go to the Honolulu because neither my wife nor I like that kind of vacation. We have SF right next door. We can do the same thigns there (but without the volcanos)

We have been to Maui twice and are going back to Kauai for the second time this fall (Sept), so you can see where our choices are.

A few things worth mentioning. After about 9:00PM in Kauai, everything except Safeway closes. So if you want to do more than watch the waves crash in, don't go to Kauai. It is beautiful and *WE* love it, but that kind of vacation is not for everybody.

Maui has in my experience better snokerling and Kauai. More coral, more fish.

Seth is probably right. Ask ChrisK(Prime screen name), he lives on one of the islands.

If you don't want to go that rout, do your self a favor and get one of these books:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-2891966-2736118?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

They have one for Kauai and the Big Island. They are great books. I think the best. We have lent both of ours out to people and they love them. You will see a dozen people at least with these books when you go there, but that is for a reason. They are great, and written by people who live there.

Good luck, LMK if you have more questions

The Kahala Mandarin is an awesome stay. I live on the very same road that it is on. I've seen many famous people around my house including Cameron Diaz and Justin Timberlake. The Dolphin Quest thing is a pretty fun too.

If you are going solo or with buddies, Oahu is the place to go :wink: but if you are going with your love one then Maui is the place :smile: .

As Seth mentioned, Waikiki is a fast pace, City life where Maui is more laid back. I stayed @ the Waileah area in Maui, very nice resorts :cool:

Oh, Kahala Mandarin Oriental very nice indeed.
I love it because:
1. Away from Waikiki.
2. 5-diamond when I last visited.
3. Play with the Dolphins at Dolphin Quest.
4. Dine at Hoku's.

Things I've done or want to do on Oahu:
1. Tour the Arizona and Missouri Memorial.
2. Visit Polynesian Cultural Center - a 42 acre cultural complex offering a night show, luau and art gallery.
3. Snorkel at Hanauma Bay, go early.
4. Visit Waimea Valley & Adventure Park - a waterfall park offering native Hawaiian history and culture.
5. Shop at Ala Moana Center, Pearlridge Center, Kahala Mall, Ward Centre and Warehouse.
6. Visit Dole Plantation - pineapple plantation which offers the largest maze in the world for children to enjoy.
7. Drive up Round Top - nine-mile loop offering spectacular views of Honolulu and Waikiki.
8. Drive up the Pali lookout - the historical cliff where King Kamehameha defeated his opposition.
9. Golf at Ko Olina, Waikele, or Makaha.
10. Jump out of plane with Skydive Hawaii.
11. Goto a Don Ho show - just to say you've been to one.
12. Watch movies at Dole Cannery, Ward or Kapolei Consolidated.
13. Take a dinner cruise on Star of Honolulu or Navatek.
14. Take a submarine ride on Atlantis Discovery.

As for the other islands...my fingers are tired from typing. :biggrin:

Thanks for the reply's so far. It seems as if Oahu is more of a city spot than a place to go for relaxing, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I did really want to swim with dolphins though, its always been something I've wanted to do. Is there any place on Maui that offers this service?

Also, here's a hotel on Maui that looks pretty cool. The water park sounds impressive.

http://www.grandwailea.com/

You guys pretty much got it covered. Often vacationers know more about the Island than we do because generally many of us stay out of Waikiki unless we have to go there. It is very congested. My friend who comes down here doesn't really like to stay in Waikiki unless you like walking. Traffic can get pretty heavy. If you don't stay at the Kahala Mandarin, another decent hotel is the Ala Moana Hotel It is not the fanciest, but it is just outside Waikiki and right next to the Ala Moana Shopping Center so you can walk to the shopping center, walk across the street to Ala Moana Beach Park and beach, drive right into Waikiki if you need to, and the freeway entrance is not too far either so you can go nearly anywhere and not fight too much traffic in the immediate area.

I went to Oahu and Big Island.
Definitely Big Island was more relaxing and more what I expected Hawaii to be.
The other side of Oahu was very nice too. Wakiki, I can skip that.
The volcano on the Big Island sould be seen and experienced. But do dress accordingly for a good hike. We were not prepared for the hike when we got there. Big Island also had some of the best beaches. The sand was silky smooth. :cool:

ChrisK said:
If you don't stay at the Kahala Mandarin, another decent hotel is the Ala Moana Hotel It is not the fanciest, but it is just outside Waikiki...

Good suggestion.
Also, the Ihilani Resort and Spa...nice property and very out of the way.

Syonara said:
Also, here's a hotel on Maui that looks pretty cool. The water park sounds impressive.
Good choice, the Grand Wailea is wonderful. I would fly into Kapalua instead of Kahului.
Also consider on Maui: Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Westin Maui, Fairmont Kea Lani Maui. All great stays as I remember.

Syonara said:
I did really want to swim with dolphins though, its always been something I've wanted to do. Is there any place on Maui that offers this service?

Like on the Big Island at Waikoloa Village and on Oahu at Kahala Mandarin, I've yet to find a place to swim with captive dolphins on Maui. Maybe a swim with wild ones on a dolphin excursion?

Also, I enjoyed the helicopter ride over Haleakala crater. (Blue Hawaiian Helicopters or Air Maui Helicopter Tours).

Last edited:
Syonara said:
Thanks for the reply's so far. It seems as if Oahu is more of a city spot than a place to go for relaxing, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

http://www.grandwailea.com/

The Grand Wailea is very nice,... it is right next to the 4 seasons. If you like Golf you will like that side of the island. There are not a whole lot a good snorkeling beachs on that side except for right in front of the 4 seasons and the grand wailea. The road ends as you go south so you are pretty much on a dead end stretch of highway which has golf courses and a very nice shopping mall. (but little else that I know of).

Wailea is very nice but alot of people tend to hang out in the Lahaina area (which closes at around 10pm, late for the island). It is touristy, but nice. The only places I know of near Wailea is Kehie (sp?) which is not really all that great. And a few steps down in the food chain beneath Wailea.

From Wailea it will take you about 45 minutes to get to Lahaina. It will take you about 1.25 hours to get to the north/west tip of Maiu (where there is the blowhole, very cool). 45-50 min to the airport. 2-3 hours to Hana and the 7 pools (depending on when you leave, if you get stuck behind a tour bus, and how many stops you make along the way).

If you like a decent hike, skip the 7 pools, they are littered with people, and hike up to the waterfall that feeds the pool. I think it is something like 3 miles and it will take you a good 1.5 hours to get there but you will pass a bamboo forest which is really neat. At the top you can get under the waterfall (not terribly smart as rocks that fall off the top come down pretty fast, but I did it, and it was pretty cool. I also heard a rock go into the pool at the bottom with the velocity that sounded like a bullet going into the water. I got out from under the falls at that point :wink: ).

Hana is really neat, but you need to plan a whole day to get there and back and a hike if you want to do one.

You really can't go wrong with Maui, and many people we have talked to have said if you are a Hawaii virgin, go to Maiu first, it has most everything except the big city. We did and we were not disappointed.

Good luck!

BTW, the swim with dolphins can have a waiting list of two weeks minimum. Check it out and pre-register yourself before the trip.
When I went to Waikoa Hilton, the guy told me the waiting list was two weeka. I didn't believe him at first.

All I can say is if you goto Oahu, get some some shrimp on the side of the road on the north side. First few times I was in Oahu, I went to Giovanni's or something, but the last time I went, there were a few other places that were just as good if not better.

Okazu dowtown isnt bad either. Kahula pig is interesting as well.

aloha9.JPG

aloha7.JPG

aloha11.JPG

Have a good time!

Hiroshima said:
Depends on your speed. If you want to be in a city and have night life go to Honolulu. If you want a more peaceful experience but still touristy (and great for kids) go to Maui. If you want to spend time with your SO w/o kids and just want the raw beauty go to Kauai. I have been to the last two, and will probably not go to the Honolulu because neither my wife nor I like that kind of vacation. We have SF right next door. We can do the same thigns there (but without the volcanos)

We have been to Maui twice and are going back to Kauai for the second time this fall (Sept), so you can see where our choices are.

A few things worth mentioning. After about 9:00PM in Kauai, everything except Safeway closes. So if you want to do more than watch the waves crash in, don't go to Kauai. It is beautiful and *WE* love it, but that kind of vacation is not for everybody.

Maui has in my experience better snokerling and Kauai. More coral, more fish.

Seth is probably right. Ask ChrisK(Prime screen name), he lives on one of the islands.

If you don't want to go that rout, do your self a favor and get one of these books:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-2891966-2736118?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

They have one for Kauai and the Big Island. They are great books. I think the best. We have lent both of ours out to people and they love them. You will see a dozen people at least with these books when you go there, but that is for a reason. They are great, and written by people who live there.

Good luck, LMK if you have more questions
i have been on all thei islands except nihau and lannai.
i agree with this post.
BTW molokai is even more deserted than kauai.
miles and miles of beach with no one on them. spooky.

Thanks to this thread I got all excited, I end up booking a mini vacation to Maui, leaving this Monday the 16th to the 20th :tongue:

Any NSX'ers in Maui? My GF and I will be in Lahaina/ Wailea area (snorkeling) all of next week :biggrin:

spartan2-3 said:
Thanks to this thread I got all excited, I end up booking a mini vacation to Maui, leaving this Monday the 16th to the 20th :tongue:

Any NSX'ers in Maui? My GF and I will be in Lahaina/ Wailea area (snorkeling) all of next week :biggrin:
Good for you. Have FUN. :smile:

Just got back from Maui, as others recommend drive the "Road to Hana", you will need the whole day to enjoy the route and scenery. There are some nice waterfalls you can jump off @ :cool:

Kahului Intl Airport (OGG)
DSCF0003.jpg

You will see many Waterfalls along the "Road to Hana" (you can jump off the waterfalls, we did :biggrin: )
DSCF0117.jpg

If you're into cycling check this out http://www.gocyclingmaui.com/

Fannsx, thanks. Though it rained heavily Thursday 05/19/05 (Road to Hana day), we had a blast :smile:

Glad you had a great trip. Post more pics, I would love to see more! Tell us what you did. It makes me miss the place but I love hearing about others who have had fun there.

Hiroshima said:
Glad you had a great trip. Post more pics, I would love to see more! Tell us what you did. It makes me miss the place but I love hearing about others who have had fun there.

This is exactly why I end up with a sudden vacation :biggrin:, The Hawaiian bug bit me :cool:

We just snorkelled most of the week and Jetski on the last day. The road to Hana was something else and a must for 1st timers, just be sure and bring extra clothing/ towels for the trip as you will find yourself swimming at every tide pools/ beaches.

We actually jumped off 20-30' waterfalls :eek: I'll have to upload more pictures.

Just thinking about it makes me want to go back for more :smile:

Too bad I didnt see any NSX's (are there any in Maui?), I did run into a Lotus Esprit Turbo :cool:

NSXer's, don't forget about me out here, former '97 Blue NSX owner.
I live in Honolulu on Oahu, and have been here since 1983, originally from Chicago.
I love the NSX more then anything else.
I'd like to make your trip easy, by making recommandations.
Jerry at private e-mail address: [email protected] :smile:
Always welcoming questions.
Send photo's of your NSX.

I'm plannning on taking my bride to maui in July for our honeymoon.

We'd like to rent a house to stay in ($500-750 or so a night), anyone have recommendations for a nice quiet place in a good location? Thanks.

My wife and I actually got married in Maui (Makena Beach) at sunset 3 years ago. It was the coolest thing I have ever done! I agree with most all the previous posts about what to do and where to stay but especially with two of the hotel recommendations. The Grand Wailea on Maui is one of the most beautiful properties I have ever seen. It's not cheap, but always seems be on someone's "top 10" list of hotels in the world to stay at. On Ohau, we too stayed at the Hale Kulani and really liked it's amenities and flair for design. Their standard rooms are not your average rubber-stamped boring variety, but rather upscale in look with cool design touches and furniture. I could be mistaken but I think you can swim with the dolphins at the Mandarin-Oriental even if you don't stay there, but like others have stated, you need to make arrangements before you go. Good luck and have a blast! Wish I was going back. :rolleyes:

Back