• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HELLO and a few ?????

HELLO and a few ????? REVISED please take another look. THANKS

hello all,
i am new to the site and wanted to introduce myself. my name is matt and i am no newbie to the car world. i have had hondas and acuras in the past and am currently in a modded 03 IS300, LSD, Volks, Tein suspension ect.... I am currently looking for an 91,92 NSX. always loved the car but the NSX bug just bit me hard. now on to a few questions from this NSX newbie.....

i want to have fun with this car, and i will prob drive it daily unless is snowing, raining or otherwise really crappy weather. how are these things for overall reliability? are they the same as other hondas/acuras in this regard? also is there anything i should look out for when buying and 91/92? i want to get one with between 80k-100k. i was reading a bit and i read there have been transmission problems with these model years. is there any service records i should ask for to prove this problem has been fixed. overall just some insight on some things i should look out for would be greatly appreciated. i would like to pick on asap. also kind of a dumb question but these things dont have a trunk do they?

i look forward to learning more about the car and as time goes on being an honest, fair and helpful member here. thanks in advance for the answers guys. nice to meet you all.

~weiss

Last edited:
I consider myself a novice, but you have picked two years which have the best of both worlds. Both have the 3.2l motor, the 2001 model has the pop up headlamps, which is the more "relished" style, and the 02 is the resessed lights. Both are targa, and the 02 has a few upgrades such as wheels, taillamps, and valances. Good luck and welcome aboard.

thanks for the welcome. so whats up with these tranny issues though? any info on that? and is using this mainly as a daily gonna be a problem?

Last edited:
hello all,
i am new to the site and wanted to introduce myself. my name is matt and i am no newbie to the car world. i have had hondas and acuras in the past and am currently in a modded 03 IS300, LSD, Volks, Tein suspension ect.... I am currently looking for an 01,02 NSX. always loved the car but the NSX bug just bit me hard. now on to a few questions from this NSX newbie.....

i want to have fun with this car, and i will prob drive it daily unless is snowing, raining or otherwise really crappy weather. how are these things for overall reliability? are they the same as other hondas/acuras in this regard? also is there anything i should look out for when buying and 01/02? i want to get one with between 80k-100k. i was reading a bit and i read there have been transmission problems with these model years. is there any service records i should ask for to prove this problem has been fixed. overall just some insight on some things i should look out for would be greatly appreciated. i would like to pick on asap. also kind of a dumb question but these things dont have a trunk do they?

i look forward to learning more about the car and as time goes on being an honest, fair and helpful member here. thanks in advance for the answers guys. nice to meet you all.

~weiss

Welcome Matt. Just want to get some history from you. Why 01 & 02 NSXes only? Why 80k-100k miles? For NA2 NSXes, you should find many with less than 80k. I think the 03 & 04 has a different transmission, and the 05 went back to the 97-02 transmission (someone can chime in to confirm this). If you ill be using it as a daily driver, set a budget for tires. That will be you highest cost once your Timing belt & waterpump are replaced (assuming no other major issues). Yes, there is a trunk, but don't put ice cream in there.:biggrin: The trunk holds about 8 half bags of groceries or 2 golf bags (not the super size ones).

My guess is that you are hoping to find a higher mileage NSX in order to save some $$ versus one with lower miles. I can tell you that it'll be tough for you to find one with such high miles, especially for the newer models.

If you feel comfortable enough telling us your budget, we can tell you what sort of options are out there.

Regards,
Ryan

Hello and welcome Stryker, :smile: Slamstrom rightly, the trunk is very small and does not allow the large luggage.
For the NA2, it does not have there many miles and the car is rarer and more expensive than the first versions with the retractable headlights, they “are civilized more " and has my opinion, more tamed than the old NSX, the design evolved/moved little and them cars are very similar, I do not know if the cost is worth the candle of it! good luck to find the rare pearl! :smile:

thanks for the welcomes and info fellas. yes its true, i am gunning for a higher milage, earlier model year to save some money. i was hoping in the 20-25k range. i want to have fun with the car. as a young professional im not quite ready to buy something more expensive right now. my main concern is having fun with the car not make it a garage queen. i am seeing some options out there in this price range but obviously they are more difficult to find. any more suggestions on where to look or what do look out for? is it a pipe dream to find a nicely maintained NSX with higher milage in my price range? like originally posted im in an 03 lexus IS300 so thats about my price range. about 450 a month or so.

thanks again for the welcome. this seems like a great site and a bit more civilized than some ive been a part of.
~weiss

20/25k range will get you into an NSX eventually. But don't expect a primo car with no issues. Expect some issues and possibly needing maintance to some extent. 20/25k gets you a fixer upper basicly. Expect to pay 25/28k for a reasonably decent car.

thanks. maybe i should start looking it that price range instead. what are maintenance costs like? expensive? moderate? or is this a deal service only car? and again, will i have problems using this as a daily. by this i mean is it to low to get over speed bumps ect...? the i can throw some groceries in it but not much truck space question has been answered.

I am currently looking for an 01,02 NSX.

i was hoping in the 20-25k range.

It's *very* unlikely you find an 01/02 for less than $45-50K - that would be the *low* price for a high mileage or salvage title. If you take a look at the NSX For Sale section here on Prime, you can get an idea of selling prices.

The sub-$30K range will put you in into an NA1 (91-94 Coupe) with some miles and possibly some maintenance issues to resolve. But even $30K fully financed @ 6% is about $600/month (5 year.)

Could the 01,02 possibly be a typo meant to be 91,92? Make those zeros nines, and everything seams to make sense.... they are early models, some sale for low $20K's, some are in the snap ring range causing tranny failures, and many have between 80-100K miles.

Could the 01,02 possibly be a typo meant to be 91,92? Make those zeros nines, and everything seams to make sense.... they are early models, some sale for low $20K's, some are in the snap ring range causing tranny failures, and many have between 80-100K miles.

sounds logical...

yes big time typo... hahahaha. i def meant a 91,92 in that price range. sorry about that guys. so does that help my price point then. maybe 91 to 95 or something like that?

and yes these snap right issues? what is this? that is what i meant about these tranny issues that i was reading about. is this an issue on all of these model years? should i look for one that has the problem resolved?

and again are maintenance fee reasonable or of the hook since that car is more rare than others?

again sorry about the typo. i am in fact shopping for a older first model year NSX.

this is a great example of what i am looking for:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102974

i pm'ed him for details. something right in the model year range and mileage range give a take to make my price point.

Last edited:
Back