• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help me navigate LA !!

Guys, I am coming out to LA 4/21 to 4/24 to look at cars.

Im flying into Long Beach and staying in Los Alamitos.

I will be looking at cars in Irvine, Costa Mesa, Fullerton, and WAY up in San Fernando.

Any thoughts on which freeways to avoid and what time rush hour typically is? Am I better off on side streets during rush hour?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Looking forward to some warm weather as its snowing here now!!! :rolleyes:

Fullerton is not too far from you... take 91 East to get where you're going, or if traffic is real bad, I believe you can take Orangethorpe or La Palma (side streets) all the way east.
Irvine and Costa Mesa are near each other and to the south of you--from Los Al you could take 91East to 5 South, or 605 South to 405 South, depending exactly on where you are and where you are heading.
San Fernando will be a trek, I suggest you not go through rush hour all the way up there--its a lot of miles in the first place, the traffic makes it really bad. The 5 North or 405 North will be your best bet, depending on time of day and exact destination. But you can cut through a more complicated route of freeways...depends on your time and patience...

Just take some time to look at a map ahead of time--the freeways here are not really complicated and the signs are great--you just need to be familiar with their location relative to the city you are in or going to.

Good luck with your search!

So long as you avoid the early morning rush hour, the mid-morning rush hour, the late morning rush hour, the noon rush hour, the afternoon rush hour, and the rush hour at quitting time, you'll have smooth sailing! Good luck in your search.

Seriously though, I suggest avoiding the 5 Freeway, also called the Golden State Freeway, whenever possible.

Last edited:
On any given day the traffic can be a nightmare. Rush hour starts at 5:30 a.m. till around 9:00 a.m. then again at 3:00p.m. till around 6:30 p.m. I suggest that you download a map of the areas you plan on visiting. Once you arrive, listen to KNX 1070 AM radio before you go anywhere. They have traffic reports every 10 minutes. If you have a computer check out www.sigalert.com for traffic reports. I commute to L.A and I usually have to take a different route every day to avoid traffic jams.

Happy Hunting

Yeah.....
1) avoid LA
2) rent a helicopter
3) 2:30 AM should do it.

:wink: :biggrin: :tongue:

Yeah.....
1) avoid LA
2) rent a helicopter
3) 2:30 AM should do it.

:wink: :biggrin: :tongue:
Similar advice.

1. Go to Mexico instead.
2. Don't breath the air.
3. If they have water you might as well drink it.
4. Buy a bike ;-P

I lived there in the past. These guys have given you wonderful advice.:biggrin:

On any given day the traffic can be a nightmare. Rush hour starts at 5:30 a.m. till around 9:00 a.m. then again at 3:00p.m. till around 6:30 p.m. I suggest that you download a map of the areas you plan on visiting. Once you arrive, listen to KNX 1070 AM radio before you go anywhere. They have traffic reports every 10 minutes. If you have a computer check out www.sigalert.com for traffic reports. I commute to L.A and I usually have to take a different route every day to avoid traffic jams.

Happy Hunting

Thanks Big D. The only drive I am really concerned with is the one up north. I think I will leave about 10am and see the car around noon and then head home by 1-2pm. Or have dinner in the area and come back after dark.

Thanks Big D. The only drive I am really concerned with is the one up north. I think I will leave about 10am and see the car around noon and then head home by 1-2pm. Or have dinner in the area and come back after dark.

Good timing...traffic is less at around 9:30-10 a.m. Try to head back by 1 pm or as you stated hang out for dinner.

Jeff

Good timing...traffic is less at around 9:30-10 a.m. Try to head back by 1 pm or as you stated hang out for dinner.

Jeff

+1, Good Plan

No Problem, osugrad97, Glad I could help.

Back