• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help......What have I done to deserve this?

Sig

Experienced Member
Well, my bad luck streak has been extended. As some might remember, two weeks ago my mirrors were kicked off my car. Today, had another incident and need advice on what the problem is.
I drove to the grocery store to get medicine for my sick girlfriend(otherwise I wouldn't be driving). I was the only car in the lot. When I came out my car had slid down the slope of the lot and was stopped by a curb that impacted the front right tire. BTW, the lot was icy. After I threw my bags down in frustration and the woe is me passed, I drove home. Aside from a a ding in the rim, the tire/rim are fine but....the steering is off. Now in order to go straight the wheel must aligned at 11o'clock instead of 12. The weird part is that it doesn't fight it, if I let go of the wheel it stays straight and doesn't pull to either side. Any input would be appreciated. I will be getting this looked asap. Is this just an alignment problem or does it sound like there is some bent stuff that will be very $$$$sive? Thanks

Sorry to hear about your incident!

What you describe is an alignment problem caused by the impact knocking things out of whack.

HOWEVER it is important that you have the suspension inspected by a qualified NSX technician ASAP. It is very possible to crack a control arm or other suspension piece when the wheel impacts something as you describe. Even a hairline crack means the piece needs to be replaced.

It is also possible your wheel is slightly bent now. If you have trouble balancing tires on that wheel, that's probably the reason.

I am getting ready to go drop off the car now. As for the wheel, I am coincidently getting new tires and rims next week. So the old ones are coming off anyway. I am just worried about bent parts like an axle or something(not sure how possible that is) and other suspension problems. I am hoping for just an alignment issue. THough, at the rate I am going it will probably end up being a major repair.

SIG,

Where in Vienna are you? I'm in Reston, wonder if I've seen you around. What color/year is your NSX?

Milien

------------------
Milien

91 NSX Black/Ivory
95 BMW M3 Black/Black

I live right by the Vienna metro although I am looking to move within the area so I can have garage access. I work in sales for webMethods in Fairfax. My NSX is a 91 blk/blk.

Sig,

It really sounds like you may have bent the inner tie rod on that side. It is the weakest part in the steering system. If the steering wheel was locked, which sounds like it was, the tie rod would take the brunt of the impact if the wheel hit a curb. Hope the wheel is OK, better check it.

I have experience at this
smile.gif
, sorry to admit. Anyway if this is the problem the part is under $50!!!!!!!!!! I was very surprised when I ordered it from Tracy at GUNN.

So, don't sweat the small stuff, and please leave that damn black cloud over you at home from now on
wink.gif

HTH,
LarryB

[This message has been edited by Larry Bastanza (edited 23 February 2001).]

Sig,
Did you say someone kicked off your mirrors? Damn who did you piss off?

Why did your car roll down that lot? No E brake? Or didn't you leave it in gear? I'm curious about why it rolled at all!

Sorry about all the bad luck I hope things work out for ya!

[This message has been edited by PUREVIL (edited 25 February 2001).]

Back