• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help with Transmission Number

I looked at a '92 red/black NSX yesterday (I'll be driving it tomorrow, they already had it squeezed in the lot).

The transmission number read:
SR8M - 5000211

To me that doesn't make sense based on what the purchase process told me. Would this be the number of the "new" transmission?

Still anxious to hook up with some Dallas area owners. Any help appreciated.

Assuming you were following the instructions and looking in the right place, the only conclusion I could come to is that it's probably an aftermarket transmission.

EDIT - Not true. See Mark Basch's correction below.
redface.gif

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 24 March 2002).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Assuming you were following the instructions and looking in the right place, the only conclusion I could come to is that it's probably an aftermarket transmission.

SR8M is the correct prefix for a factory built 6 speed gearbox. I would be concerned if it were not a six speed, someone has switched tags probabally to cover up a snap ring tranny number. Proof- if it were a proper SR8M it would also have a green vin tag riveted about 2 inches away because Acura started doing that to trannies in either 98 or 99. (I can't remember EVERYTHING)

Use Caution,
Mark Basch

Originally posted by NSXTech:
SR8M is the correct prefix for a factory built 6 speed gearbox. I would be concerned if it were not a six speed, someone has switched tags probabally to cover up a snap ring tranny number. Proof- if it were a proper SR8M it would also have a green vin tag riveted about 2 inches away because Acura started doing that to trannies in either 98 or 99. (I can't remember EVERYTHING)

Use Caution,
Mark Basch

I though the `92 is 5 speed...

Originally posted by Zuerst:
I though the `92 is 5 speed...

That's precisely the point: Mark is saying that the tag number indicates a 6 speed - so it is not the right transmission for the car.
Possibilities:
1. It has been replaced with a 6 speed.
2. It has the label from a 6 speed covering a 5 speed number that is in snap-ring range.
Immediately verifiable but, if the number is wrong for the car, would fool 98% of prospective buyers.
frown.gif

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

Thanks everyone!

I'm pretty sure I was looking at the right number (standing on the drivers side and looking down at the tranny). It's the only number/label I saw and it had a bar code.

Yeah, the ad in the Dallas Morning News reads '92 6-speed. The shift-knob was indicating a 5 speed. When I asked the salesman, he didn't know anything about the car.

I realize the red flags here but still will go for a test drive to give me a base to judge other NSX's.

I drove a '93 NSX about 7 years ago before I got my RX-7, so I need a "refresher".
smile.gif

Originally posted by F1RX7:
I realize the red flags here but still will go for a test drive to give me a base to judge other NSX's.

If it has a six-speed, that's a GOOD thing.

Maybe he replaced the transmission but not the shift knob...?

The shift knob doesn't have a shift pattern on it - it is on the little plate behind the shifter. We can tell whose car has been in storage all winter can't we?
wink.gif

It is very possible that the transmission was changed out for a 6-speed but that little plate was not updated to the one with the 6-speed shift pattern.

However, if that is the case I'd also check to see if it has a reverse lockout installed and find out why and when it was replaced and whether it was a new or used 6-speed.

weird, the one I'm looking at has an SR8M barcode number but I don't see the green tag near it. It's a 92 NSX and the shifting feels fine. 85k miles.

The history of maintenance only goes back to 99 so I don't know if it was replaced before then but they've done all the clutch work and just about everything else, including all new leather seats, etc.

Should I be concerned, or is the SR8M a valid number and not just for 6speeds? Because this is indeed still a 5 speed.

:confused:

Sorry to revive this thread a decade later. Just to update anyone in the future with similar concerns, the SR8M prefix can indicate both 5 and 6-speed transmissions. For 91-92 snap ring replacements however, the 5-speed transmissions usually begin with SR8M-5000xxxx. The 97+ 6-speed transmissions share the same prefix but are numbered from 6000xxxx-7000xxxx

Last edited:
Back