• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Here I go again - Valhalla's '97 Spa Yellow Pearl

Theoretically, if you lose the auction (to your own car!) do you lose everything installed in the car as well?

I know you've put a substantial amount of money into the car - the turbo kit alone I'm sure cost a decent sum. It'd be a crime for the insurance company to just take all of the parts you added to the car.

Dayta - correct, if I don't match the bid at the end of auction, I will never see the car again. That is why I am so intent on buying it back. If it can't be repaired, I can return it back to stock and sell it myself back at auction and probably lose little there. but it would be a gigantic pain to remove everything, find another car to put all back on. I'll have a better idea come Wednesday.

This was hard to read.
Many before me said it, and i will say it again: good you are ok. That's most important .
That being said, i hope all works out, and that you can rebuild her and continue your ownership of her.
I'm interested in finding the cause that lead to all this. So if you find out more, please share. I will keep an eye on this topic and hopefully see the rebuild in progress soon.
Best of luck!

I am good and going back to work tomorrow as the Doc has signed me off. Still black and blue and plenty sore but the car saved me. She did what she was supposed to do with a front impact.

Yes the bids are sealed but it only takes one knucklehead to bid it up. Tried to make them an offer but they are committed to see what they can get for the car at auction. I'm kind of holding my breath right now. won't know for sure until middle of next week.

The good news is I am taking possession of the car back. It should be on a flatbed heading to me within the hour. Can do some deconstruction and see just how bad things are. I'll take some more pictures and post up what we find.

If you don't mind me asking, What insurance company covers the car?
This is BS, trying to sell your car before they own it. And it's BS that Copart would list it, knowing that they are just gauging value.

Glad you are okay, in the end, that's all that matters.

The Copart auction is on approval. IIRC that means your insurance company is just testing the waters to see what the car is worth in current condition and does not have to sell the car, even if someone won the auction.
They sure did move fast though.

Sorry to see and hear about your car, however you are all ok. I'm glad that you are going to rebuild it and keep it, as there are only few TT around.

Bram

The car did a marvelous job of keeping me safe. The safety features built into the car allowed me to literally walk away with just a couple of scrapes and good bruises. The airbags did their job, the seatbelt retractors did their job (maybe too good) and the crash zone at the front of the car did all it's job. Don't know how many cars would have left their occupants in such good shape after striking the wall at that speed. it's a testament to the design and construction.

John Wayne is correct in his statements above. They are gauging interest in how much someone else would buy the car for so that they can determine a settlement with me. Kind of amazing that if you look at the car from the windshield back, it looks as perfect as if ever was. but from the fenders forward, a much different story. I don't know if this one is in save mode now. Will look it over more on Monday after some deconstruction and make a determination next week.

A big shout out to all those who have volunteered parts in order to bring Layla back. Very touching to have so many people offer parts to me and they barely know me. I thank you one and all. Happy Easter.

It's a Honda! My best friends son wrecked his late 90's civic and came out of it with a few abrasions. When they had it towed to the junk yard the owner stopped the tow truck driver immediately and claimed that they do not take fatality cars. The junkyard owner couldn't beleive it left survivors as well as I. He even wrote the ceo of Honda a letter thanking him for the engineering that inadvertently saved his young sons life. I have had other friends wreck kia's at 60 mph and had zero air bag deployment which led to severe head trauma.
The car did a marvelous job of keeping me safe. The safety features built into the car allowed me to literally walk away with just a couple of scrapes and good bruises. The airbags did their job, the seatbelt retractors did their job (maybe too good) and the crash zone at the front of the car did all it's job. Don't know how many cars would have left their occupants in such good shape after striking the wall at that speed. it's a testament to the design and construction.

John Wayne is correct in his statements above. They are gauging interest in how much someone else would buy the car for so that they can determine a settlement with me. Kind of amazing that if you look at the car from the windshield back, it looks as perfect as if ever was. but from the fenders forward, a much different story. I don't know if this one is in save mode now. Will look it over more on Monday after some deconstruction and make a determination next week.

A big shout out to all those who have volunteered parts in order to bring Layla back. Very touching to have so many people offer parts to me and they barely know me. I thank you one and all. Happy Easter.

Yeah, it might be a "new" build adventure.

All the kings horse and all the king's men........

Looked it over for a good amount of time today and I'm not feeling good about what the insurance company will come up with. She looks like a taco from the side view.

I hate to see insurance companies pull these kinds of stunts with people. I hope that you get to buy her back at a price that is reasonable if they decide to salvage (which, they probably will due to frame damage). Sorry to hear about this JC, I can't believe that this would happen to you, of all people. I thought insurance companies would have to compensate you with an amount that would be equal to a replacement car should you total yours?

You're a clean title low miles NA2...I am doubting any junkyard will pay the proper amount for a car that insurance would be able to compensate you for all your parts/time/effort. You still own the car until you sign it away to them right? This all seems very strange to me the way they're handling it.

Good luck JC and I'll see you soon

Last edited:
Totally sucks BIGTIME, glad to hear your OK JC.
I'd really like to know what caused this.

Last edited:
The Copart listing has been there ever since the adjuster looked over the car at the towing yard in Culver City last Thursday. They said repairs would exceed $33k so they posted it at auction with sealed bids so that they could get a grip on what they would sell the car back to me for. They are doing their due diligence as to fair market value for a wadded up 1997 NSX. The auction time frame is done today so I expect to hear from them tomorrow some time.

As the bids were sealed, I doubt highly that they would share with me what they were. They are going to pull some number out of the air and say this was the high bid. I'm hoping for a low number, but the way my luck has been running lately.......

So it looks as though I may be looking for another NSX. Ramon has a line on one locally that I hope to get a look at soon. I'm also doing some research to see what else is out there. Not in a big hurry as the house has sold and I need to move in two weeks. Still have to find a place to move to!

- - - Updated - - -

Totally sucks BIGTIME, glad to hear your OK JC.
I'd really like to know what caused this.

Thanks Coz. I looked the car over pretty thoroughly with Ramon yesterday. Couldn't see anything wrong with the rear axles as it sure felt like a broken right rear, the way the back end stepped out so quick. Rear tires were worn but not down to the wear bars. Some have thought maybe I got into some gravel but I was in the inside lane and most of the gravel would be on the outside of the outside lane. Could I have driven through some liquid or oil? Maybe. At this point I think I can say it was not the cars fault so I'll have to take the hit.

Just so wierd with a right hand entry on to the freeway, you would think the centrifugal force would make the car go out and away from the wall on my right. The car took the hardest turn right into the wall which I couldn't have been more than 10-12 feet away. I mean neck snapping hard right turn, I've never experienced this before.

I wish I could look it over as well.
Did you also check over the upper and lower A Arms, especially the ears where they bolt to beams, ball joints as well, etc ?
Possible, oil or coolant, worn tires or the combination. Slip and grip, with boost, pointed in the wrong direction with no time or room to work with.

Sucks JC, but....you are OK and there are plenty of other cars out there...only one JC.

Bummed for ya brother.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Coz. I looked the car over pretty thoroughly with Ramon yesterday. Couldn't see anything wrong with the rear axles as it sure felt like a broken right rear, the way the back end stepped out so quick. Rear tires were worn but not down to the wear bars. Some have thought maybe I got into some gravel but I was in the inside lane and most of the gravel would be on the outside of the outside lane. Could I have driven through some liquid or oil? Maybe. At this point I think I can say it was not the cars fault so I'll have to take the hit.

Just so wierd with a right hand entry on to the freeway, you would think the centrifugal force would make the car go out and away from the wall on my right. The car took the hardest turn right into the wall which I couldn't have been more than 10-12 feet away. I mean neck snapping hard right turn, I've never experienced this before.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
glad you are ok, as coz would attest to at the track, hitting the inside wall or guardrail is not uncommon.

glad you are ok, as coz would attest to at the track, hitting the inside wall or guardrail is not uncommon.

I saw this happen at Thermal Raceway as we were doing a site visit for NSXPO, last month. A brand new F458 did a face-plant coming out of turn 1. The car started to lose the back end, the driver tried to power it out and the car hooked up and dead into the wall. Driver had to be taken to the hospital by helicopter. There was nothing forward of the windshield.

Just so wierd with a right hand entry on to the freeway, you would think the centrifugal force would make the car go out and away from the wall on my right. The car took the hardest turn right into the wall which I couldn't have been more than 10-12 feet away. I mean neck snapping hard right turn, I've never experienced this before.
[/QUOTE]
Start around 4:30 of this video. Heading straight into the inner turn guardrail isn't unusual in a spin like that unfortunately.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y7VLjAHyRlI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

like many have said. Cars can be replaced. You cannot! Glad to hear you're getting this sorted one way or another.

Back