• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

hey guys. new to the forum, looking for some info

and was hoping you could point me in the right direction.

i am considering a purchase of and NSX. i have loved the car since its debut, and now i might be in the financial situation to invest in one (i know invest is a horrible word when it comes to cars) anyways where can i find some really good tech articles about the chassis and drivetrain? i want to do some research on what some common problems are, although i am pretty sure there are few.
what about a good resource to find one? i would like to find a 93-95, but i am not afraid of the high mileage because i need to stay in a budget.
doing some basic research on private seller prices has me confused though. the classifieds section has some nsx's that are priced in the 30-40k range when NADA and blue book etc have them priced a great deal lower. is there a reason for the sudden increase in resale?
any help is appreciated, just lurking around it seems everyone here gets along and are helpful
thanks again guys!

You can find pretty much anything you need the FAQ at the top right of the screen.

KBB prices do not reflect what NSX's sell for. A low mileage 91-94 can still go for around $33-35K. Higher mileage cars sell closer to $28-33K.

this FAQ is great. thanks for pointing me to it.
usually KBB is off, but even this is really off for KBB. NADA is usually more accurate and is still making me cringe.
so if i have a budget of 28, i am stuck looking for a high mileage 91-92?

audios said:
usually KBB is off, but even this is really off for KBB. NADA is usually more accurate and is still making me cringe.

Your other option would be a low mileage or late model repairable wreck.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
Your other option would be a low mileage or late model repairable wreck.

I would skip that. The NSX is not easy to repair and very costly. I have a friend who just picked one up with slight frame damage. It is costing him 4K to fix.

Hi. Welcome to the forum.
NetViper said:
I would skip that.
Me too. A budget of $28k can definitely get you a nice higher milage 91-94 NSX with no stories. As for pricing, this is pretty accurate. You can do slightly better than that if you find the right deal, generally from someout outside the community. Good luck, and search patiently for what you want!

audios said:

Not at all! Be patient. 18 months ago I bought a pristine 93 with 70,000 miles on it for just under 29k. I have since added another 61,000 miles to the clock. The car has been bulletproof with only "consumables" needing attention.

If the car has been well maintained the mileage is basically irrelevant. There has never been a better built car in the history of mankind. Do your due dilligence when shopping and don't hesitate to ask any questions here on Prime.

Good luck with your search!

Hugh said:
18 months ago I bought a pristine 93 with 70,000 miles on it for just under 29k.
As White 94 stated and Hugh confirms, you can get a higher-mileage '93-94 for the same $28-30K price range as a higher-mileage '91-92.

BTW, average (median) mileage on NSXs is 5K miles per year. So, for example, a '93 with 70K miles is above average.

Also, don't stretch yourself financially with the purchase. The NSX is very reliable, but if you need $2000-2500 for a sudden clutch replacement or $1200-1500 to replace the timing belt (which is many years overdue on a '91-94 but may never have been done), as well as routine costs such as tires, gas, tires, brake pads, and tires - did I mention tires? - you'd better be able to afford it.

Hugh's right. Even a 'higher milage' 91-94 (5k+/yr) still has PLENTY of life left in it. Check out this pic from an owner in Cali.

Attachments

• nsxodo.JPG
    nsxodo.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 160
audios said:

You can get a low mileage car for 28.. I paid 27.5 for my 91; it had 38,500 miles on it at the time. Although; it is a snap ring car, and needed a timing belt service..

-Jeremy

jdc1687 said:
You can get a low mileage car for 28.. I paid 27.5 for my 91; it had 38,500 miles on it at the time. Although; it is a snap ring car, and needed a timing belt service..

-Jeremy

Which if the snap ring goes, its about $4K to fix and the timing belt/water pump job is a good $1500.

wow guys, thanks alot for the responses. i was really starting to think this might not be a possibility for me when i left the computer today. certainly some hope now. you guys are very helpful.

currently i am driving an audi s4. i bought it new in november of 01, as a 02 model. i didnt knwo much about the car, but i learned quickly when i was denied warranty on one of the blown turbos. i am happy with the car now as it is extensively modified, but i haqve to think about my business, and having a winter truck, and a summer car is much smarter for me. i am used to having to worry about maintenance (timing belt is huge on the 2.7t) so i am not too worried about maintenance if i bought an NSX. but thanks for the heads up on the sudden clutch/tires/timing belt. i forget sometimes that even though alot of cars are much more reliable than audis, it doesnt mean they are "trouble free" i am gonna try not to stretch myself thin.

oh and again, this faq is kick ass, i love it. thanks again guys!

joe

Back