• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hey, I need a Flute for my kid

Anyone know of any sites like autotrader.com except for musical instruments?

My daughter is 8 and I need to buy a flute for her birthday. Being the cheap bastard that I am, what should I get and where?

My limited knowledge so far:

Will get a used one, hopefully rebuilt. Stick with name brands, Armstrong, Selmer, Yamaha. Want silver plated.

What about Jupiter and Gemeinhardt?

Do I want closed hole, C-foot, offset G, new yellow double bladder pads?

Anything good here:

http://www.clarinuts.com/clarinuts/pages/FluteItems.htm

I would stick with a student model flute since she is only 8 and just beginning. Definitely closed hole. Since I'm a clarinet/sax type of guy, I don't know the answer to the rest of your questions. Do stick to the name brands though. Don't buy a cheap Chineese made horn. It will not last in the long run.

The key to any woodwind instrument whether cheap or expensive is the condition/set up of the pads. It the pads aren't adjusted properly or do not cover the holes properly, the horn will be a bear to play.

The best suggestion is to ask her music teacher if she has any leads. He or she should be able to give you the names of trustworthy local instrument repairmen who buy/sell used instruments.

I've also had luck on eBay. Just make sure the seller confirms it's playability. Even if the seller isn't 100% accurate, a couple bucks at your local repairman should put it back into shape. Just don't buy a fixer upper.

I remember going to music shops when I was kid looking for trumbone's and other instruments that I played. They will also probably be able to answer most of your questions. The first place I'd look is in the yellow pages.

One other thing. Don't let her go to band camp. :biggrin:

thedon67 said:
The best suggestion is to ask her music teacher if she has any leads. He or she should be able to give you the names of trustworthy local instrument repairmen who buy/sell used instruments.

both of our boys are musicians - sax and oboe - and as they were coming up through the ranks, we followed the approach noted above and had very satisfactory results. our experience wrt cost/instrument was that - all things being equal - we got what we paid for.

best

Back