• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hi-Line auction in Florida cars

I have been looking for a specific model year for only a month and it appears that many of the dealerships I have had contact with have purchased the car their offering for sale a the Hi-Line auction in Florida. I'm wondering, has anyone had a car that came from this auction. I have heard stories about milage tampering from this place, but thats about it. These dealerships all furnish the car history, but it is a concern of mine. Several what appear to be good cars are available with low miles and at the price i'm willing to pay, but I just don't know?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tom Larkins (edited 05 April 2002).]

Are you talking about the Manheim highline auctions? This is where all used car dealers get their inventory. It is a publicly traded worldwide company, I'm sure Manheim would not stoop to mileage tampering.

Originally posted by sabashioyaki:
Are you talking about the Manheim highline auctions? This is where all used car dealers get their inventory. It is a publicly traded worldwide company, I'm sure Manheim would not stoop to mileage tampering.

Not sure, the dealers I have spoken to refer to it as a high-line auction, but they have a differing vocabulary than most people. They had one this week and another on the 9th, I will call the salesman up and ask him personally.

------------------

Originally posted by Tom Larkins:
Not sure, the dealers I have spoken to refer to it as a high-line auction, but they have a differing vocabulary than most people. They had one this week and another on the 9th, I will call the salesman up and ask him personally.

Yes this is the Manheim Auction as you indicated. They say that under strict regulations no washed titles or milage tampering is going on, but when a dealer can't sell his car that is where they go. My only reason for asking is to find out if anyone has had any problems after the purchase because this place looks like an alternative for those wishing to purchase thru a dealer. Sure you take the proper steps to get as much info before the purchase, but i'm just wondering....

------------------

From what I know, I don't think you can purchase from Manheim unless you are a licensed dealer. Manheim does not make any representations or warranties for any vehicle sold through their auctions. That is between the buyer and seller. Buyers have the opportunity to inspect each vehicle and if the buyer is in the business, they should be able to identify body work, paint work, etc. and value the vehicle accordingly. The seller may offer some kind of guarantee or different payment terms. But Manheim simply brings buyers and sellers together...it would be unfair to make a statement about the cars they sell.

A lot of people purchase cars that came from Manheim and may not know it. I think they are the largest auto auction in the US. They also have high line auctions in PA and I think somewhere in CA as well. (btw...Manheim also owns AutoTrader.com) Many high end dealerships (legitimate and respected) purchase most of their inventory from Manheim. In other words, Manheim isn't an alternative to buying from a dealer; oftentimes, it's the same thing. The difference is that if a dealer buys a car from Manheim, then sells you the car, the dealer may give you a warranty (sometimes required by state laws). If you have a contact (a dealer) who is willing to help you purchase from an auction, make sure they know what they are doing. I know several people who go with "licensed independent dealers" to Manheim and get burned b/c the independent dealer couldn't identify problems with the car.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

I've been to many Manheim auctions and they try very hard to make sure that every car is fairly represented. I'm sure some go through that are in worse condition than stated. Almost every off lease vehicle will go through a Manheim auction.

Dealers often put cars they can't sell back through auction rather than take the loss. Florida alone has 8 Manheim auctions. Many dealers, for a $500 fee, will be happy to find the exact car you want. Just make sure they are honest, some would probably buy the first car that comes along.

If you're interested there is a 98 silver with 33,482 miles at the Florida AA in Orlando. 407-877-5287, 800-337-8491.

[This message has been edited by sabashioyaki (edited 05 April 2002).]

Originally posted by sabashioyaki:

ALL Used car dealers DO NOT get thier inventory from Manheims auctions.
We never buy cars from auction directly. We feel that you cannot inspect a car properly at an auction. We do buy a small % of cars from wholesalers who buy at auction, but we have the luxury of inspecting the car thouroughly in our facility before deciding if the car is a good example or not.
Finding a GOOD, really GOOD used car is tough. Just trhink how many cars you've owned that have NEVER had anything painted on them. My bet is its less than 50% of the cars you've owned. (sure there will be those who have never had any paint work ever, but not many).
Generalizations like the one above are what give dealers in general a bad name, and I agree that most dealers are ONLY out for a quick buck. But there are those that want repeat business, and a good reputation among people who care about their cars, in addition to making money (We are a business after all).
If you want the straight scoop, I can help you, or try to reccomend a reputable dealer in your area!
Steve http://www.thelastdetail.com/

------------------
Steve
91 NSX
01 MDX
02 M3 SMG (It's heeeerrreee)

As I started this topic, I want to make it clear that I have no notions about what car dealers are doing. Anyone that is going to be paying any amount of money, especially something as limited in availabilty as a 97 NSX needs to do their homework. I was in reference a (hi-line) auction or Manheim as a local dealer told me later after I ask the specific name. He was up front with me and made no claims otherwise, and yes dealers often took cars their when they couldn't be sold as he indicated. Of the dealers I spoke with, they told me the same. Both 96t's on two differ lots came from Florida @ Manheim Auctions. My intend is to find out from owners what kind of experience they had if their NSX came from that auction. I have a friend that I trust than can purchase their and he told me he wouldn't buy an NSX from that place. Maybe, he isn't knowledgeable about their practices. The other whom I meet after an inquiry about a 911 on his lot had no problem with the place and didn't buy what he considered as questionable. Lets face it. NSX's don't exactly hang from trees in Kansas City. I'm patient to wait on a good 97, but several what appear to be low milage 96 cars exist that I may be willing to buy as the price is within my wallet, I just don't want to receive a jar or vaciline sometime after the purchase..

------------------

Tom,

I would say it is safe to buy a car that has been through an auction. Having gone through an auction doesn't change anything about the physical and mechanical condition of a car. Just have it checked thouroughly by a ACURA dealer or someone who knows NSX's. Manheim does represent their cars as best that they can. A good NSX can be found anywhere, I don't think that the ones sold at auction are in particularly worse condition than anywhere else. As with any sample group, there are bad ones and there are good ones, just like in the retail and private party markets. I have bought cars from that particular auction and haven't had problems with them. Generally, Florida cars are usually in much better condition than those from the east coast and pretty much anywhere else except CA. Mileage tampering can be found everywhere, not just at auctions, but I assure you that the auctions regulate it much better than a private party would. Manheim is owned by COX media communications which is a huge company that probably owns many of your tv stations. Cars are sold with certain announcements as to their condition. Frame damage, title issues, and True Mileage Unknown all must be announced or the buying dealer has recourse to return the vehicle within a certain time frame. If you trust your friend and his knowledge of buying NSX's, it could be a good deal for you. Many NSX's go through the Hiline auction that you mention. I would not suggest going with some stranger who is trying to make a quick $500 off of you. Think of what will happen if you have a problem with the car. I guarantee that you will not be taken care of. The practice that people often talk about with dealers that charge a $500 fee to buy for you at auctions is frowned upon by all reputable dealers as well as the auction companies. It is usually done by unestablished dealers that are trying to make a quick buck and then run and shut down when there are problems. Those dealers are basically skirting around all the auction and DMV rules by doing this. Just take the usual measures to protect yourself to make sure you don't get burned. Salvage title and cars that have been wrecked can easily be spotted by a professional regardless of what the dealer, auction, or title says. Cars with tampered mileage would usually show up on titles and on Carfax. I have found Carfax to be pretty accurate with odo rollbacks but not on accident history. Mileage issues are usually on older cars. Just be cautious. If something doesn't look right, like it shows more wear than you think a car of xxxx mileage should, than it proably isn't xxxx mileage. If the deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is. You can really get burned on a purchase of a car such as the NSX, so just be careful and use all the resources available to you such as this website.

Chris

I've bought my last four cars from the Ocoee (sp?) auto auction out of Orlando, FL (2 NSX's and 2 convert. new body style vettes.)

I've never had any troubles with the way the cars were represented and then turned out later. You can go through the auction to contact the owner of any particular vehicle, and ask any questions before the car runs, etc. etc. I've been provided with service records in advance.

I'm not a dealer but I go with a friend who is. Great thing about buying from the auction is that you can usually get your money back out of the car through the auction route, if you don't hang on to the car too long. (Generally, buy in the winter, sell in the spring)

Another insightful tip...If you get the phone # to one of these hi line sales, you can call them the day/night before the auction and ask them to fax you lists of any particular car make/model/year ranges they have registered. (Most dealers transport their cars in atleast the day before so they can get good low #'s and run early.) Anyway, the auction will send you a fax that shows stats like if the cars are manual/auto, mileage, color combo's. etc...No dealer verification necessary for this part. Just the actual day you go to the auction.

Knowing this type of info though, If you've got a dealer who will go with you and buy the car for you, you don't have to waste his time going to a bunch of auctions where your car may not be.

I do have someone that will purchase at the auction for me, Does Manheim give anymore time than a day before they know whats going up on the auction? Or is it that the dealers don't give Manheim anymore time than that so they don't actually know? Its tough to get on a plane with only a days notice

------------------

I do have someone that will purchase at the auction for me, Does Manheim give anymore time than a day before they know whats going up on the auction? Or is it that the dealers don't give Manheim anymore time than that so they don't actually know? Its tough to get on a plane with only a days notice

If you buy from a large consigner or finance company such as Amercan Honda Finance, they usually list cars about a week ahead of time. Other than that, it depends on whenever the dealer brings the car in. That can be anytime up until the end of the auction.

Is it possible that the year i'm looking for (96 or 97) would be coming of a lease with American Honda Finance? By the way, nice set of tires/wheels ck.

96-98 are increasingly rare to be coming off lease. Most cars American Honda sells these days are 1999-2001. I haven't seen a 97 in over a year and I haven't seen 96's for over two. Thanks for the compliments on the wheels!

ck, What would be the pricing on a 98 take an educated guess? Look @ my post "is this a fair price" found a 96 w/low miles and it appears to be a good car. Came from Manheim.

------------------

For anyone whom is wondering, the 96t in Knoxville sold yesterday for $46,500. No, I wasn't the one that bought it as I was too late and frankly the car wasn't my first choice in color. Still looking.

------------------

Back