• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HID Headlights Kit Recommendation. Problems with existing HID lights

I have no idea what type of HID kit I have now on my car, as the previous owner had it installed. It's been annoying me cuz when I turn on my lights, only one would come on and I'd have to shut off the headlights, wait 10 seconds, then turn it back on again for both to come on. The driver's side HID light is the trouble maker, as it would have a hard time turning on as it flickers...

Anyone face this problem? Any solutions? Are all HID kits like this?

Can anyone recommend a good set of HID kits for me? I've looked at Onex and some kit a prime member sells... Also, anywhere in LA I can have this installed reliably? Thanks again guys!

Re: Problems w/ HID Kit. Anyone recommend a good set of HID Kit?

I bought a set of ebay HIDs for my NSX and they are going on 3 years with no problems what so ever. So... more $$$ may not equal a more reliable product since (flame suit on) they are all made in the same place any way - China. I think I paid ~ $120 or so shipped.

Last edited:

I'd think a good first thing to do would be to check all the electrical connections. Maybe one is loose or corroded?

@CL65 Captain: i was thinking ONEX... seems good and cheap?

@rbirling: i shall check once i get my car back this friday.

thanks for ur inputs!

Most likely its a ballast going out or a bulb....if its a bulb then you want to replace both bulbs for an even look.....

Southbay Acura in Torrance is a good place to go.

I can get you a complete kit (bulbs, ballast, install stuff) for $55 shipped to you :)

Just let me know. Oh, it also comes with a 1 year warranty.

But like mentioned above, I'd check all the wiring to make sure nothing has come lose.

Last edited:

I can get you a complete kit (bulbs, ballast, install stuff) for $55 shipped to you :)

Just let me know. Oh, it also comes with a 1 year warranty.

But like mentioned above, I'd check all the wiring to make sure nothing has come lose.
cool. what brand and type of bulb, heat, and wattage?

If I had your problem with unknown HIDs the quick fix would be to wire a relay directly to the ballast/igniter power source. I've noticed some of the kits (read: cheaper) use inadequate wiring. Smaller and longer wires will cause greater resistance (voltage drop) which can also be a cause for your flicker problem. Running a properly wired relay will solve this problem - if this is your problem. Then you can keep your HIDs. A good Bosch relay is $3. A new kit...$$$. Other areas I would easily check for is battery voltage at startup and engine on. If you're problem is here then you need to fix these first because any HID kit will flicker given a low voltage problem. All this will take no more than 30 mins.

Otherwise, i've had very good luck and have been quite happy with both quality and cost of the DDMs. A few of the guys have them here. They're prices have gone down dramatically over the years so I wonder if quality has suffered... i hope not.

Last edited:
thanks again for your input ryu. i'm thinking of actually getting new DDMs as people have mentioned.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

for specs:

Wattage: 55k
Bulb type: 9006
Bulb color: 6000k?

does those specs look good to you guys? i'm just going to swap old for new. anyone know how much it'll cost to install at dealer?

again, i live in an apt with no private garage. i don't have any tools... =/

If you don't want problems , use silicone dielectric grease on all connectors.

If you are willing to go to north OC call Eric at
supremepowerparts.com. He can get the kit and install it but doubtful in stock. Tell him Jeff w NSX sent ya.
Jeff

If you are willing to go to north OC call Eric at
supremepowerparts.com. He can get the kit and install it but doubtful in stock. Tell him Jeff w NSX sent ya.
Jeff
thanks! i'll call around. now, i just need to find a reliable hid kit before friday...

can anyone recommend some affordable, but realiable hid kit? other than the MDD...

hey doc, yeah i've looked into that. a bit expensive, but i might consider it. thanks for chiming in.

erick, check your email~

thanks again for your input ryu. i'm thinking of actually getting new DDMs as people have mentioned.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

for specs:

Wattage: 55k
Bulb type: 9006
Bulb color: 6000k?

does those specs look good to you guys? i'm just going to swap old for new. anyone know how much it'll cost to install at dealer?

again, i live in an apt with no private garage. i don't have any tools... =/

+1 on the DDM Tuning kits. I have 5 of their kits and have had no problems with any of them. 6000K 55W has a slight blue tint. Go 5000K 55W if you want pure white.
Hardest part of the install is drilling the hole in the dust cover. If the previous owner installed them correctly (by drilling the hole), it should be pretty easy to swap them out with basic hand tools (screwdriver, wire cutters & zip ties).

Like Hapa88 said. Installing them should be very easy since your car already has HID.

You can just do one side at a time and figure it out. All you need is a socket, flat head, phillips screwdriver, and zip ties.

There is a couple of DIY out there or you can look at the service manual.

The DDM sets are a great value. They are often sold out. They have probably sold thousands of these sets by looking at their invoice numbers. They are just 1 block away from my office.

Back