• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

high pitch sound/buzz under acceleration (over 85mph)

I am the second owner of a 2000NSX with the 3.2 motor and 6 speed transmission. I have owned the car for a little over a year and just noticed the following.

When I accelerate passing through 85mph I start to get a higher pitch noise/buzz from the right side engine compartment - although I cannot be sure of the location. As the car decelerates below 85 the noise ceases. I have not noticed any change in the performance. No codes but it is a little troublesome....

Any ideas?

Oem alternators may be impossible to get so have a local shop rebuild..

I am the second owner of a 2000NSX with the 3.2 motor and 6 speed transmission. I have owned the car for a little over a year and just noticed the following.

When I accelerate passing through 85mph I start to get a higher pitch noise/buzz from the right side engine compartment - although I cannot be sure of the location. As the car decelerates below 85 the noise ceases. I have not noticed any change in the performance. No codes but it is a little troublesome....

Any ideas?
Best guess is the alternator bearing.

***edit*** posted before reading the replies LOL.

It might be the alternator; but, the only thing to consider is that alternator noises or any noises originating from the drive belt area of the engine should be engine RPM related, not vehicle speed related. Alternator bearing noise should be 'repeatable' as you shift through the gears, not just appear at vehicle speeds above 85 mph.

If you have access to a mechanics stethoscope (or a suitable home fabricated bodge), apply the stethoscope to the frame of the alternator while it is running and have someone increase engine RPM while you listen. Bad bearings will usually reveal themselves with noises ranging from howling to scraping / grinding.

Do you normally drive with your AC in Auto mode? If so, the ECU will briefly shut off the AC when the engine is at high load (accelerating above 85 mph probably qualifies). It does this by disengaging the AC clutch allowing it to freewheel. If the AC clutch has some issues the noise may materialize when it starts to freewheel. This should be fairly easy to test by just forcing the AC compressor off all the time using the CCU controls and then going for an 85 mph test ride. If the noise appears and disappears just like before then it is not AC clutch related.

If it is an alternator problem. doing or having a rebuild done on your alternator is your only option because new and factory rebuilt alternators are un obtanium. However, make sure that it actually is an alternator problem because the noise as you describe is not 100% consistent with alternator bearing failures. The problem might be the tripod bearings in the right side half shaft or the right rear wheel bearing. Both of those make noises that are more related to vehicle speed, not engine speed.

My 2000 also had a noise that got worse as vehicle speed increased. It was the rear tires howling because of cupping caused by a rear alignment problem. My initial best guess diagnosis at the time had been a failing wheel bearing.

I would agree, varying speed should produce the same noise......However cupping tires can be very hi pitch at higher speed or specific speed..

An alternator noise should be easy to pin point.

Bram

My wife calls the bee "the vomit mobile"

It might be the alternator; but, the only thing to consider is that alternator noises or any noises originating from the drive belt area of the engine should be engine RPM related, not vehicle speed related. Alternator bearing noise should be 'repeatable' as you shift through the gears, not just appear at vehicle speeds above 85 mph.

If you have access to a mechanics stethoscope (or a suitable home fabricated bodge), apply the stethoscope to the frame of the alternator while it is running and have someone increase engine RPM while you listen. Bad bearings will usually reveal themselves with noises ranging from howling to scraping / grinding.

Do you normally drive with your AC in Auto mode? If so, the ECU will briefly shut off the AC when the engine is at high load (accelerating above 85 mph probably qualifies). It does this by disengaging the AC clutch allowing it to freewheel. If the AC clutch has some issues the noise may materialize when it starts to freewheel. This should be fairly easy to test by just forcing the AC compressor off all the time using the CCU controls and then going for an 85 mph test ride. If the noise appears and disappears just like before then it is not AC clutch related.

If it is an alternator problem. doing or having a rebuild done on your alternator is your only option because new and factory rebuilt alternators are un obtanium. However, make sure that it actually is an alternator problem because the noise as you describe is not 100% consistent with alternator bearing failures. The problem might be the tripod bearings in the right side half shaft or the right rear wheel bearing. Both of those make noises that are more related to vehicle speed, not engine speed.

My 2000 also had a noise that got worse as vehicle speed increased. It was the rear tires howling because of cupping caused by a rear alignment problem. My initial best guess diagnosis at the time had been a failing wheel bearing.
Well I have been running the AC in auto mode. Clearly turning off the whole climate control would be an easy test. I will give it a go and let you know how it turns out. The sound is not present until I push the car and only after 85mph.

Also I do not think its the tires since they have less than 3K miles on them.

The sound is not the AC in auto mode and it's not the alternator - ran the car up to 90mph to initiate the buzz and both pushed in the clutch and let the car drop to idle (no change in sound) also revved the engine (again no change in the sound) as the car slowed below 80 mph the sound tapered off. It sounds like a kazoo...

I conclude its a body/plastic/fairing/vent part that is effected by the air flow and vibrate from the air flow/pressure. Should be fun to find.... at some point I will get the car up on jack stands and start poking around to see if I can find the culprit.

If you have a rear alignment issue you can generate cupping in the rear tires in less than 3000 miles. Also, how old are the tires? With tires, age matters as much as miles and some tires are noted for making more noise than others.

If you know what to look for check for cupping. Easy to do and rule out as a cause. It didn't take much cupping on my rears to generate quite a bit of noise.

If you have a rear alignment issue you can generate cupping in the rear tires in less than 3000 miles. Also, how old are the tires? With tires, age matters as much as miles and some tires are noted for making more noise than others.

If you know what to look for check for cupping. Easy to do and rule out as a cause. It didn't take much cupping on my rears to generate quite a bit of noise.
tires 1.5 years old, 3K miles on them.... no evidence of unusual wear or tire cupping.

The sound is very high pitch and I noticed as I drove different directions (i.e. east vs west) on a windy day the speed was different depending if I was going with or against the wind. I think a body panel, fender liner, sheet metal fairing is vibrating... but only when there is sufficient air pressure to cause the noise.

low tread tire hum is more of a baritone booming/drone..

Back