• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hit and run advice please

Recently I had someone swipe my car and then take off like a little coward.
After chasing the guy I gave up since he was jumping medians and curbs and I didn't need any real damage to my car.

Filed a police report, gave them the plate etc and then waited.
And waited. Finally after checking up with the police they say "we have no record of such a case."

After finding someone in the dept with an IQ above their shoe size, I finally got an explanation that made sense - since it was private property, the only thing they could write him up for was no insurance. They also mentioned he had 9 warrants out. "Why was he not arrested then?" Jail overcrowding the detective says.

I get his contact info and drive by the other day, and notice he's repaired some of the damage.

I know you can't get blood from a turnip, but what other options do I have here?

"since it was private property, the only thing they could write him up for was no insurance. They also mentioned he had 9 warrants out. "Why was he not arrested then?" Jail overcrowding the detective says."

He is wrong. What city do you live in? What about FSGI (Failure to Stop and Give Information)? Depending on the damage to the vehicle determines the misdemeanor class. Less than $200 is Class C which can be ticketable or arrestable offense. More than $200 is Class B. Actually you can't write them for no insurance on private property. There is only one ticketable offense on private property which is backing not in safety.

Report the damage to the state and get an attorney, take some pics of his vehicle before he fixes it, and sue his ass. Also, complain to the police department to take some action. They are there to serve you and the public. :smile: (Getting off soap box, now) :biggrin:

I live in Ft Worth and used the FWPD. He lives in the same county in another city about 10 miles away. Incident took place at a business park.

I tried calling the TX Bar Assoc. since they have a program certain attorneys participate in which allows for a 30 minute consult at 20 bucks. I'm still waiting to hear back from some.

I haven't estimated my damage but depending on body shops, I could get a cheap fix at around 200 or decent pro job at approx 400. These are merely my estimates. I have a deep scratch on the front bumper and a lot of red paint scuffs as well:

redneck.jpg

I still haven't gotten a copy of the report and have some conflicting stories here. One cop at the area said he fled on foot and ditched the vehicle somewhere after he blew a tire.

My issue is I don't want to spend more than what the damage is and have legal fees that would exceed any type of payment I get for this.

Back