• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HKS F-CON V Pro Ver 3.3 or AEM EMS 30-1042

I'm looking for an Engine Management System for my 1996 Comptech S.C. NSX and was wondering the pros and cons of these two systems were as i saw that many have switched from AEM to HKS? I did a seach on Prime and didn't find much. Is this switch due to the facts thats all that the NSX comunity has to choose from? Also, AEM EMS seemed to come with the software so my local tuner could use my software as HKS V-Pro Ver. 3.3 needed an Authorized Dealer and all the Authorized HKS V-Pro dealers within 300 miles (Kansas City to St. Louis) of where I live, I really do not trust as i have heard issues of multiple vehicals blowing engines ect. I also would like to keep the TC as i heard that AEM does not, but maybe the newer version has programable TC? If i go the HKS route I'll have to figure out how to get my tunner to become HKS Certified (I hope this wouldn't require buying stock into V-Pro items and mostly would be paper work).

I'm planning on changing my timing belt, water pump, misc. hoses, s.c. belt, coils, plugs soon as i am also having issues with what i think is fuel delivery. Car seems to misfire at idle and low RPM's and when it does my TC light will flash then burn steadly. I'll also be adding a wide band 02 sensor and water/meth injection kit for saftey precautions.

If anyone from Science of Speed, Factor X, FX Motorsport, Driving Ambition, or Love Fab has any personal experience with these two systems. I would like to know your opions of the two systems.

I would also like anyone elses two cents.

Thanks,
Joseph

Last edited:
AEM EMS isn't compatible with 95+ cars. You will need to use the AEM FIC or the HKS. The AEM-FIC is a piggyback like the HKS so you keep all of the stock features like TCS. Hope this helps.

I thought the HKS V-Pro was stand alone? See link below:confused:

http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=3655

So my two options would be V-Pro or AEM FIC then.

I think that it still piggybacks onto the stock ECU and uses the sensors from the engine like the O2 sensors, water temp, MAP, etc vs the AEM ECU which replaces the stock ECU completely and you connect the harness to it directly.

Regardless, I am sure that both the HKS and FIC would work fine but the issue will be the tuner. If your local is FIC capable and not HKS, then definitely go FIC.

I had a MSL AEM on my 96, and I switch to F-Con V Pro. The only difference is I think the AEM killed the TCS. All the guages etc... worked with both systems, and they were fairly transparent. I think the most important thing is getting a system your tuner of choice is comfortable with, and picking a good tuner :D.

I'm sure he's capable with the v-pro but that would cost him a lot in overhead if he has to spend thousands or whatever hks may want him to spend to be a f-con rep. Although it could just be paperwork.

We are tuning a HKS VPro now with a ScienceofSpeed supercharger. The customer had an AEM EMS, however, we're switching to the HKS system for the integration with the CAMP 2 that allows video display of the VPro's parameters.

The two system's are very solid, and we're really grateful to have two such capable systems available as plug and play options for the NSX.

AEM EMS here:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/AEM/EMS/default.asp

HKS VPro here:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/HKS/F-CON_VPro/

The two are fairly similar in price. The HKS VPro is somewhat unique in that only Pro Dealers are allowed to sell and tune the device using a dealer key. That somewhat reduces potential tuners to the consumer but does insure a high grade of tuners available as the qualification process is lengthy.

Between the two, both in my experience are equally capable. The AEM EMS allows the factory wire harness to connect direct where the HKS FCON VPro and it's little brother, the iS, require an optional wire harness.

The AEM EMS was designed very application specific with Honda / NSX specific hardware and programming for such application specific features such as VTEC. The VPro by nature is a universal solution and with instances like VTEC, you must install specific electrical pins and set jumpers to instruct the FCON on how to handle VTEC. Nothing too difficult and fits the nature of the product as a solution that is customized by the tuner for the application. The FCON ECU's have largely been refined for the NSX specific application thanks largely to the R&D Manager at HKS USA, a fellow NSX owner. Jon has done a lot of work to give the NSX application a good starting point for basic fuel, sensor, and input/output setup. Thanks to his good support, we were able to set the FCON up to offer load based VTEC control.

Tuning the two, both have about the same capability and features. We have noticed that the HKS FCON does have slightly better sensor stability.

The FCON also has several really unique features such as native video output (FCON iS) and video output through the HKS CAMP (check out the screen shot here: http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...AMP2/caep_0810_15_z+HKS_Camp+Acura_Camp2_unit[1].jpg)

It comes down to the truth that you should choose the solution that your tuner is most experienced and most comfortable with as that will likely yield the best results. This is even more so the case with the AEM vs HKS solutions.

That being said, for your application, I feel that either the AEM EMS or HKS FCON VPro are not the best picks.

The AEM F/IC or HKS iS are piggy back units that work especially well on OBD2 cars like yours. These will allow your factory ECU to manage the electronic throttle body (including idle functions) quite well. They work very well in supercharger applications that have very consistent load/RPM characteristics. They are also quite a bit less expensive. Check them out:

AEM F/IC:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/AEM/FIC/

HKS FCON iS:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/HKS/F-CON_iS/

Remember that you will need a different MAP sensor if you intend on exceeding 10 psi.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Question - with the AEM FIC, will it work with AEM Wideband O2 sensors, test pipes, RC injectors and walboro fuel pump.. or do you need to go back to mainly stock components?

The FIC needs the factory 02 sensors to function properly, both pre and post-cat 02 sensors(4 total). Also, every other factory sensor must be present to prevent check engine lights. Otherwise, the Walbro and the RC injectors will work great with the FIC.

The FIC might be a good bet for you because the stock computer takes care of 90% of the functions that you seem to be having issues with. The FIC simply controls fuel and ignition, while the stock computer controls everything else.

I see that you currently own a Targa Top? If that's the case than you are OBD2 and using the MSL EMS? This is NOT an AEM product and AEM did not design the AEM EMS to be used with OBD2 NSX's. We have converted every customer over to the AEM FIC from the MSL EMS. Customer's are reporting that they are very happy with the FIC and how smooth it runs the car.

On my MSL engine managment I have made a few changes in the Conversion harness and AEM ems itself.
These changes include:

Improved idle control idles like a stock car even with lighten fly wheels:smile:

New style Clamp box for stock map sensor "Some of the systems that I had sold were going into a limp mode on occasion due to this Voltage clamp box that I was supplying, the circuitry was very temperamental in some of these boxes and it would actually let the stock computer see boost from time to time and throw the stock computer into a back up mode limiting the throttle to 30%

Improved stock computer communication

This is my version 2 MSL Engine management If you would like your system updated to the version 2 please call me at the shop

Car seems to misfire at idle and low RPM's and when it does my TC light will flash then burn steadly.

This may well be your O2 sensors are fouled/broken

Back