• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda changed to a different oil filter

I had been getting a 15400-PL2-004 from the dealer. It's discontinued and I was given a 15400-PL2-505 which is shorter. Should I be concerned? Is there a Mobil 1 filter that will work on the car? It's a 2005.

The "short" filter is OEM for this special edition nsx:

mini_nsx_1.jpg

Acura discontinued this a while back. As soon as the news got out, a good number of members including myself raided the nearest ACURA dealers to get what was left. I have fifteen or so. The only diference is the new filter is shorter. As long as you change your oil frequently your engine shouldnt notice a difference. I would stick with OEM and not risk trying any other brand. For instance I heard of FRAM oil filters bursting or leaking because of the high oil pressure.

Last edited:
The correct NEW short filter is: 15400-PL2-315

No Worries:)

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
There is at least one other option that is the same size. I think I bought mine at Rock Auto.

Acura discontinued this a while back. As soon as the news got out, a good number of members including myself raided the nearest ACURA dealers to get what was left. I have fifteen or so. The only diference is the new filter is shorter. As long as you change your oil frequently your engine shouldnt notice a difference. I would stick with OEM and not risk trying any other brand. For instance I heard of FRAM oil filters bursting or leaking because of the high oil pressure.

The Kragen or Pepboy guys said K&N or Mobil 1 filters are the best. Is that true??

I just got the filter # 15400-PL2-505 from my acura dealer:frown: according to you guys this is the wrong filter. Can anyone confirm if its a newer one for the NSX that Acura just produced before I take it back?:confused:

Thanks~

Hi

I changed oil today. I thought that I would be able to turn and get the filter off by hand. I was wrong. But I got it off in the end.

The new filter I got from JR was a lot shorter than the one I took out. But if Larry says that this is okey then it is okey.

Regards

I think there are several other posts on this topic. :rolleyes:

I just got the filter # 15400-PL2-505 from my acura dealer:frown: according to you guys this is the wrong filter. Can anyone confirm if its a newer one for the NSX that Acura just produced before I take it back?:confused:

Thanks~
This page at Dali's site says yes, -315 has been superseded by -505.

(I can't confirm the accuracy, just passing along info I found.)

This page at Dali's site says yes, -315 has been superseded by -505.

(I can't confirm the accuracy, just passing along info I found.)

Yes, that is accurate. This must be a very recent change, I just recieved a batch last week, and they were 315's. I suspect my next batch will be 505's. I would also have no concerns about this New-New short filter:).

HTH,
LarryB

I went to Honda/Acura and asked for 15400-PL2-315
they said this filter is showing up on their computer database as HONDA (NOT NSX)...

he refused to sell me this filter because it was an incorrect match for the car. I don't know if he is right or not based on what I've read here in the forums. He showed me the 15400-PL2-004, it is about twice as long as the other one as said this is the correct filter.

I purchased the 15400-PL2-004.

Since we are on the topic of oil changes and oil filters. I was wondering. I just changed my filter and oil last month. My car is lucky if it gets 200 miles in 3 months. I know the rule of thumb is 3000 miles or 3 months. So what it sounds to me that your oil goes bad in 3 months with only putting on 200 to 300 miles on the oil and filter in 3 months. Any insight would help.

If you are using your car about 2000 miles a year I would change it once a year, and I would only use Mobil1.

With that said, Drive the damn thing!!!!!:):):D:D:D

HTH,
LarryB

I went to Honda/Acura and asked for 15400-PL2-315
they said this filter is showing up on their computer database as HONDA (NOT NSX)...

he refused to sell me this filter because it was an incorrect match for the car. I don't know if he is right or not based on what I've read here in the forums. He showed me the 15400-PL2-004, it is about twice as long as the other one as said this is the correct filter.

I purchased the 15400-PL2-004.
As long as the -004 filter is still available to you, get it!

Since we are on the topic of oil changes and oil filters. I was wondering. I just changed my filter and oil last month. My car is lucky if it gets 200 miles in 3 months. I know the rule of thumb is 3000 miles or 3 months. So what it sounds to me that your oil goes bad in 3 months with only putting on 200 to 300 miles on the oil and filter in 3 months. Any insight would help.

I think thats Jiffy Lubes rule of thumb :biggrin:

I change mine every fall which will mean between 1500-3000 miles on it. No need to dump oil every 3 months unless it has 5k or more miles on it.

I plan to change mine after every track day and then sending the oil in to be tested. I'm running FI on a built engine and it gets a lot hotter than a stock one, I would imagine.

Back