• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda Designer for a Day?

At the North America Auto show, they had a bench at the NSX display ( and since my feet where aching from checking out every car at the show) I sat down for about an hour and watched. Lots of folks stop to take photos and drool (at the NSX, not me) But the one's that just kept walking and mumbled something to their friends… 35% thought it was Corvette, 25% thought it was a Ferrari and the rest seemed evenly divided between NSX or "I don't know what it is"

But the one thing I heard a lot of people say… was " Oh they haven't changed that car in years". I felt like reminding them about the 911. How long has Porsche used that shape? I can't tell what year a 911 is, if it was made in the last 20 years unless some one tells me.. there are still some good looking 1980's 911's out there.

So here's my question? A total new NSX. What do you want it to look like?

1. Wedge shaped car (Lotus, Lamborghini, 355, current NSX)
2. 911 shaped car ( Audi TT, Mazda RX-8, Nissan Z, )
3. Viper Retro ( Jaguar XK180, BMW Z8, Ford T-bird, Chrysler Crossfire)

My personal vote is for an aggressive wedge shape. If you can't drive it under a Semi-truck trailer (like in the opening scene of Clock Work Orange) its not an exotic to me. Car Design Colleges seems to hate
any-thing with hard angles and low aggressive profiles. I am getting a bit tired of curves and retro. What "look" do you folks want to see next?

I had a '92 Lotus Esprit Turbo but sold it because I was afraid to drive it for fear of breaking it. That and the poor build quality. But as my wife and I were car shopping today we came across a Polar Silver Lotus Twin Turbo... I must confess I believe it's one of the most beautiful cars made! and I may own another someday (a v/8 twin turbo only though).

I know the automotive press say the NSX looks dated but I think they are just being politically correct. The NSX is still at the forefront of automotive design (case in point C-5 vette) 10 years after it's origin. I could care less if they don't change it for another 10 years, the design is a classic, it has and will stand the test of time.

[This message has been edited by Craig (edited 21 January 2001).]

I like almost all of the current NSX design cues (integrated rear air diffuser, functional side intakes, large glass canopy, low short hood, etc), but admittedly the car needs an update. How about integrated headlights? A little more interesting interior?
But no big changes please, let's stay true to the original theme, like the 911 did and does. It should stay recognizable as an NSX!

Back