• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

hoosier r compound fittment

Hey guys, we have discussed wheels a bit in other threads, here is what I am doing. I am purchasing a set of Advan Model 7's for street and making my TE-37's (bronze kenji
smile.gif
) into track wheels.

I was just on the phone with tire rack and he said there is no r compound tire size combination that will work. As many of you know it seems nobody but hoosier makes an 18" r compound tire so I am limited to what hoosier makes.

17x7.5 and 18.9 wheels

Question #1:
By my calculations, I could do 225x45/17 and 275x35/18 and be at only a 2.5% difference, thus no problem for the TCS, right? This seems like the only combination that is close, but the tirerack guy said it wouldn't work because of TCS.

Question #2:
Will a 275/35 seat okay on a 9" wide wheel?

Question 1:
- Your TCS ratio is ok (I hope you're not driving with TCS on the track!)
- 225/45 is way too tall.
- I suggest 235/40zr17 if available.

Question 2:
275 is ok for 9 inch rim.

You could always sell your rear wheel and get a 17" wheel instead, and you will be able to run A032.

IMO, spend your money elsewhere before starting to use R-compound tires.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

If you use 16 front and 17 rear, you could use Pirelli P Zero-C R Compund tires. 225x45x16 front and 255x40x17 rear. They're fantastic tires and if you drive them to the track, they are quieter then the yoko's.

By the way, the smaller wheels are much lighter even in the TE37's.

IMO, spend your money elsewhere before starting to use R-compound tires.

Probably the best expenditure would be for track time. Few drivers use all the capabilities of their cars (and tires) until they have a lot of track experience. However, I think that R-compound tires are a good investment for the experienced driver who is looking for quicker lap times.

Also, I'd suggest using smaller wheels (15-16 or 16-17) for the track. Aside from the greater selection of tires, they perform as well or better than the bigger wheels, whose primary benefit is aesthetic.

thanks for the suggestions guys, but I have a fair amount of experience and track time.... with that said, I also have a fair amount of money in my car already (check signature). I drive at or near the limit of current capability of car, so I want r compound tires.

WIth that said, I may be trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. I dont want to go out and buy new wheels, as suggested in a couple posts. If it is possible for what I have to work, that is my first preference. I will buy new wheels if other alternatives are not feasible or safe. Here is what tirerack has in these tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Hoosier&model=A3S03%2CR3S03

Hoosiers are the only people that make an 18" r compound that I can find. If someone has another tire alternative that will work ON MY WHEELS I am listening.
smile.gif
Thanks.

------------------
Justin
'98 NSX-T Blk/Blk
· Comptech headers / exhaust / airbox
· Dali Racing / Brembo big brake kit
· Koni adjustable suspension w/Comptech springs and sway bars
· Volk TE-37 17/18” wheels
· Wings West side skirts and rear spats

I think the bigger wheel v.s. smaller wheel arguement does not have an absolute answer. Although it is generally true that bigger wheels means more feedback, while smaller wheels gives mroe grip, there are just too many other factors that affects the ultimate outcome. For me, when choosing the wheels for the NSX, I'm looking at sizes that will A)fit over big brake kits with at least 13inch rotors, and B)have the widest selection of tires, and C)are the lightest and strongest.

As far as R-tires go, you may want to start with Yoko A032R, or Kumhos before moving onto Hoosiers, as they are very different from normal street tires.

------------------
For some, it's a compensation.

Originally posted by maomaonsx:
As far as R-tires go, you may want to start with Yoko A032R, or Kumhos before moving onto Hoosiers, as they are very different from normal street tires.

the AO32's or Kumho's are not offered in an 18" wheel.

We've recently tried using the Kumho V700 and love'em. I talked with others using them and they compared them equal in performance to the old R-1's which are no longer available. Before, 15" were the largest available and just recently 16"&17" R-tires have become available and still somewhat limited though. I was also looking for 18" R-tires but had no luck. Unfortunately your stuck with the 16"/17" combo for now.(in a practical sense)

I know this is not what you want to hear, but you will make your life much easier if you sell you 18" rears and replace them with 17". There is no performance need for the 18s in the rear and you'll have way more tire options at 17" (and they'll be cheaper too!).

Re: tire sizes and TCS - you are looking at the wrong number. You want to look at the difference in the RATIOS, not the absolute difference of front:rear. Compare the stock front:rear ratio to the front:rear ratio of the tires you are considering.

Originally posted by kenjiMR:
Hey, Justin, do you know what is the recommended tire size for 9.5" rim? Your 18" are 9" width right? what size tires are you running now? 265/35/18?

Kenji, others may have differing opinions, but you can do 255 to 275 on a 9", 265 to 285 on a 9.5, and so on. At least that has been my experience.

I was a bit hesitent about the 275 on a 9" wide wheel, but above Chris at SoS thought it would be okay, as did 5 other people I have talked to.

Currently on my 18x9 I am running 265x35, which in my opinion is plenty of rubber and it fits the wheel nicely - provides adequate protection for the lip of the wheel. The main reason I went with 265's in the back is I think it looks awkward with huge 285's with only 215's up front (OPINION).

Originally posted by Lud:
I know this is not what you want to hear, but you will make your life much easier if you sell you 18" rears and replace them with 17". There is no performance need for the 18s in the rear and you'll have way more tire options at 17" (and they'll be cheaper too!).

You may be right. Perhaps Kenji will buy my wheels? I dont think there is a huge price issue, especially for street, but I can see chewing up the r's much more rapidly. I would do it for the additional options you outline. If anyone is looking for a set of all 4 or just rear bronze volk TE-37's (18x9r 17x7.5f) let me know.

Originally posted by Lud:
Re: tire sizes and TCS - you are looking at the wrong number. You want to look at the difference in the RATIOS, not the absolute difference of front:rear. Compare the stock front:rear ratio to the front:rear ratio of the tires you are considering.

ahh yes, you are correct. recomputation shows 6.2%, which if I WERE using TCS on the track (I have tried it and do sometimes Chris) this difference should be within tolerance on a '98, right?

Are you looking for better performance or aesthetics. What is the reason that other tire companies do not make a 18" r tire. If 18" performed better than a 17" it seems everyone would want 18". Are there any articles, comparing the two?

Originally posted by steveny:
Are you looking for better performance or aesthetics. What is the reason that other tire companies do not make a 18" r tire. If 18" performed better than a 17" it seems everyone would want 18". Are there any articles, comparing the two?

I want performance, which would occur with a smaller diameter, but I am trying to work with what I have, which are 17/18's. When I initially bought the wheels, I wanted a combination of performance and esthetics. Volks are light, sizes looked best.

Are there any articles, comparing the two?

I recall reading two different articles in major magazines where they ran tests of tires on 15", 16", 17", and 18" wheels, with plus sizes to keep the outer diameter the same. There was a performance increase from 15" to 16", it was a virtual tossup for 16" vs 17", and performance decreased in moving from 17" to 18". However, I don't remember where I read them. Perhaps someone else can refer us to them?

ahh yes, you are correct. recomputation shows 6.2%, which if I WERE using TCS on the track (I have tried it and do sometimes Chris) this difference should be within tolerance on a '98, right?

I'm not sure whether you're asking about your current sizes or your proposed sizes. Anyway, there are two ways to do the math, and either way should produce the same results, aside from slight differences due to rounding. I'll illustrate both here, using your proposed sizes of 225x45/17 and 275x35/18 and the stock sizes of 215/45ZR16 and 245/40ZR17. Calculations of percent change below were performed by the Powerdog tire size calculator at http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi where you enter the two sizes and the website tells you the percent difference.

Method 1: Compare front to rear ratios

Ratios of outer diameter of stock rear to front = 4.7 percent larger

Ratios of outer diameter of proposed rear to front = 2.4 percent larger

Difference = 2.3 percent, should be acceptable for TCS.

Method 2: Compare change in size in front to change in size in rear

Ratios of outer diameter of proposed rear to stock rear = 3.5 percent increase

Ratios of outer diameter of proposed front to stock front = 5.7 percent increase

Difference = 2.2 percent, should be acceptable for TCS.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I'm not sure whether you're asking about your current sizes or your proposed sizes.

thanks, my math was right, my sizes were wrong. I used the wrong sizes for stock, been too long since I've had stock tires. Should have looked where? In the FAQ I guess....

Originally posted by Andrie Hartanto:
Justin,

Kumho should comes up with new track tires shortly, and they have the sizes u need.

225/45/17 and 265/35/18
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/kumho/ku_ecsta_v700.jsp

Thanks Andrie, that is good news. What would you think about the 205/40/17 or 235/40/17 up front instead of the 225/45/17?

[This message has been edited by justin hall (edited 07 June 2001).]

Justin,

I'm not sure about the sizes yet, since Kumho hasn't release the specs yet.

Every tire models have different/varying width and O.D. The best to find this is thru their spec sheet (they did R&D). Tire calculators only give u estimate figures, some can vary quite a lot by actual spec.

However, from my experience 235 will be to wide on 7.5". U will overcook the tires easily since the width is not appropriate (hard to get the proper tire pressure).

OoooO! Those tires look cool! I bet the prices will be reasonable knowing Kumho. The 225/45 is too tall of a tire. You'll get lots of scrapes.

I agree with Andrie though, 235 is too wide for 7.5" wheel. 7.5" is not good for the track. Especially if you are 'fast'.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

I will be the first one to admit I know nothing about tire *YET*, but does this help.

Off of Doug's NSX-Files web site: www.nsxfiles.com http://www.nsxfiles.com/stories.htm

Comptech Technomagnesio 17/18 inch wheels
Hoosier Tires for the track, 275/35/18 rear, 225/45/17 or 245/40/17 fronts

Then From Buttonewillow Racways site: http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/ http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/ho_radial.htm

Hoosier Racing Tires
Sports Car D.O.T. - Radial

45830 P275/35ZR-18 $233
45700 P245/40ZR-17 $197
45705 P225/45ZR-17 $192

-matt
'00-Yellow #265

HoosierR303 come in 18's

Yes, Justin said that in his post when he first started this thread.

Duh...
biggrin.gif

Back