• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How can we improve the Second Generation NSX forum

Its easy to scapegoat DocL but he is long time member not a troll. I get that his inflammatory rhetoric turns folks off...but we can still all get along..you can ignore him, you could also empathize with the crappy experience he had mostly brought about by a craptastic dealer...I would have no problem looking past that if I was a NC1 owner...I have met him and know him and he is one of those shirt off the back car guys...imho
Admits to chumming the waters but not a troll? I’m not expecting sunshine and daisies but damn near every thread is shit on with the car is a POS.

but the car is not a pos we all know that ....

Admits to chumming the waters but not a troll? I’m not expecting sunshine and daisies but damn near every thread is shit on with the car is a POS.

I grew up trolling for sharks in competitions off of Montuak. This place only has little fish in a bucket.

It is a quandary to try to generate traffic on a car that is very hard to work on or modify (as in EXPENSIVE!) and not very common.

I would suggest:

1. How about a thread with links to every video on the car? Good and bad.

Maybe reviews and track stuff, even document the evolution from 2016 on.

It is a quandary to try to generate traffic on a car that is very hard to work on or modify (as in EXPENSIVE!) and not very common.

I would suggest:

1. How about a thread with links to every video on the car? Good and bad.

Maybe reviews and track stuff, even document the evolution from 2016 on.

I think the latest round of social media coverage is helping. There's a sentiment that this car has been overlooked, but even Schmee's review seems a little meh... But it's improving.

More grassroots youtubers, bloggers, influencers also need to be curated by Honda mktg team IMO.

Very True..If they get kanye/Kim/Gronk/me.....to drive one and blog it they won't be able to make um fast enough

Very True..If they get kanye/Kim/Gronk/me.....to drive one and blog it they won't be able to make um fast enough
haha well.. anyway that we can skew the average age of buyers for these cars would help. my mental count of owners I can think of... average age is probably 60+yo. the younger guys I knew who bought in 2017/18 have since sold :( Too bad on them though.. I think they might have sold during the dip.

Life long Honda fan and long time lurker here. Used to own a Integra Type R and a track built supercharged S2000.

Would love to see the 2nd generation forum on Prime become more active. I along with many others prefer this format than the Facebook platform for that other owners only group. Who even uses Facebook nowadays as its not one bit user friendly to serve the purpose of a forum.

Would also suggest to open the owner's forum here so prospective buyers can do their diligence and learn the pros and cons of ownership.

I fail to understand why owners would be so insecure to close off forums to non-owners. This applies to that owners only Facebook group as well. Never seen it on any car forums and I have been on many. Maybe I am not privy to the context or history but find it super odd.

Life long Honda fan and long time lurker here. Used to own a Integra Type R and a track built supercharged S2000.

Would love to see the 2nd generation forum on Prime become more active. I along with many others prefer this format than the Facebook platform for that other owners only group. Who even uses Facebook nowadays as its not one bit user friendly to serve the purpose of a forum.

Would also suggest to open the owner's forum here so prospective buyers can do their diligence and learn the pros and cons of ownership.

I fail to understand why owners would be so insecure to close off forums to non-owners. This applies to that owners only Facebook group as well. Never seen it on any car forums and I have been on many. Maybe I am not privy to the context or history but find it super odd.
Welcome. Think the trend is to get away from that private section. As it was set up being private many shared personal info that shouldn’t be made public. Maybe it can be scrubbed at some point, or maybe not, but there’s really not much if anything there that isn’t known about the car. It’s super reliable and nothing mysterious at this point.

Ask any question and you’ll get good feedback. Good to have you here.

we have say 10 NC1 owners that are regulars on prime. That's enough of a sample size...

One thing I don't see are a lot of are NC1 ambassadors. This is on or off prime. I do see an ample amount of defenders which comes off defensive and polarizing.

Perhaps the positive posts, reviews, YouTubes from owners are behind closed doors or just simply outnumbered.

These days owners sell cars especially at these price and performance levels. Mclarens have quite a significant owner enthusiast base. We're talking owners who post frequently on social media about, for example, their struggles with brakes, or the center lock mechanism, or lap times at any given track and performance mods. Existing owners probably sell a significant amount of cars for Mclaren than ever before.

If there are any owners with social media content, I'd love to check them out.

...I fail to understand why owners would be so insecure to close off forums to non-owners. This applies to that owners only Facebook group as well. Never seen it on any car forums and I have been on many. Maybe I am not privy to the context or history but find it super odd.

There really isn't much you are missing anyway.

One thing I don't see are a lot of are NC1 ambassadors. This is on or off prime. I do see an ample amount of defenders which comes off defensive and polarizing.

Perhaps the positive posts, reviews, YouTubes from owners are behind closed doors or just simply outnumbered.

These days owners sell cars especially at these price and performance levels. Mclarens have quite a significant owner enthusiast base. We're talking owners who post frequently on social media about, for example, their struggles with brakes, or the center lock mechanism, or lap times at any given track and performance mods. Existing owners probably sell a significant amount of cars for Mclaren than ever before.

If there are any owners with social media content, I'd love to check them out.

What is a NC1 Ambassador?

RYU mentioned it in his post...a popular internet social media influencer...

Welcome. Think the trend is to get away from that private section. As it was set up being private many shared personal info that shouldn’t be made public. Maybe it can be scrubbed at some point, or maybe not, but there’s really not much if anything there that isn’t known about the car. It’s super reliable and nothing mysterious at this point.

Ask any question and you’ll get good feedback. Good to have you here.

Thanks for the kind welcome. Looking forward to continue my diligence on the NC1. One of the primary reasons potential owners come to the forums is to get a first hand and a long-term perspective of ownership as opposed to short term/one drive reviews of the auto media.

Ironically, making the owners section private adds to the negative perception of the car as opposed to mitigating it.

Thanks for the kind welcome. Looking forward to continue my diligence on the NC1. One of the primary reasons potential owners come to the forums is to get a first hand and a long-term perspective of ownership as opposed to short term/one drive reviews of the auto media.

Ironically, making the owners section private adds to the negative perception of the car as opposed to mitigating it.

Agreed, hearing owner feedback has given me confidence in purchasing one of my own.

What is a NC1 Ambassador?
[MENTION=4282]docjohn[/MENTION] not quite exactly what I had in mind. I don't think the typical youtuber is all that effective in selling these cars. There is a clear divide between your average Youtuber/Influencer and your Youtuber/Owner these days. The formers tend to do this as a source of income, they have sponsors to please, etc. I was hoping more owners would get out there and post more positive experiences. Of course, there are a few mitigating factors to this. The most obvious one is the just the sheer lack of NC1 owners out there, but also I'm noticing the average age demographic of NC1 owners I see are just not into the social media "thing". This is quite different than say McLaren and a lesser extent Lambo/Ferrari. I follow a few legit owners who, for example, heavily track their (P1, 620R, 720S, GT3, etc) and post experiences on social media with their praises and struggles with a given platform. This is what I mean by owners sell these cars.

EDIT: You're in luck. I found a youtuber whom which talks exactly about this https://youtu.be/DCfh783bDTg

ahhh I hear ya...where are the Mark Johnson's , Dal racing/ Doug Hyashi/Andre Hartanto/ John@microsoft owners for NC1...today...

Regarding the private forum - when it was created there was a need for it, at least in my eyes.

There were so much bashing about the NC1 - for different reasons - that there was a need for actual NC1 owners to talk about the car, the ownership and the experience without getting bashed. I certainly told myself that I never would write anything in the public sections - being a non-native English writer I would only get caught in word-feuds that I probably couldn't win due to the language.

Since then the conversation level on the public sections has matured - a few haters has been banned, more and more owners has been providing their enthusiasm, and the NC1 has been starting to get understood better. So now I've changed my mind, and am open to write here :)

From my point of view the private section has served it's purpose and can be closed / locked.

When it comes to the reasons for the initial bashing - there were many.

The main reason IMHO is the long time between the generations. Active members on prime were NA1/NA2-fans and I believe many expected a new generation like the first one - with everything dialed up. Even if Honda (Acura) have been vocal from start that NSX means new tech, fans still expected a Lotus Exige V6 with Japanese engineering and a Honda (Acura) badge. They plainly didn't like the new hybrid solution, with it's added complexity and weight.

It wasn't better that the price tag was a little higher than expected.

Another culprit was the 'long' time-to-market. Honda/Acura did mess up the marketing - it felt like it took ages from the first concept in January 2012. Then the production version was out-triumphed by the Ford GT 2015. But in reality Honda/Acura was working really fast, they even managed to re-design the main structure when they decided to change the engine layout from transversal to longitudinal.

On top of that Acura released the prototypes too early in Fall 2015 - and the rags wrote about the poor impression they got.

If Chris Harris wouldn't have driven and given his view - "They must have driven another car" - I might not have bought my NC1. I did, and I'm so glad I did. Four years later I'm still in love with it :)

Another point was also due to the release time - it was targeted against Ferrari 458 etc - but when it was released Ferrari 488 was the new kid on the block, and the 488 was a huge step in performance with its added turbocharger. For the Internet jockeys this was equal to a failure for the NC1 - and they didn't miss any opportunity to be very vocal about it. Fact is that professional race car drivers typically was a little faster with the 488, the 570 or the other contenders. Another fact is that many professional race car drivers drove the NC1 as it was a regular mid-engine supercar - as with the Nissan GT-R (which Porsche said the times was impossible) - it takes a special kind of skill to exploit AWD power (which works different in each car). Another take is that for non-race car drivers, they are IMHO probably faster in the NC1 than the 488.

The list goes on.

In any case it had a rough start - but I'm glad that it start to get more and more appraisal after a few years.

Last edited:
For added complexity and weight - one of the reasons I bought the NC1 was because of the new tech (i.e. complexity) - I liked the idea of it being a budget 918 / P1 / LaFerrari.

I didn't like the added weight - I typically do a lot of autocrossing together with friends having light cars such Lotus Elise, Opel Speedster, Mazda Miata - typically using very narrow track layouts suiting those cars. But I must say that when I push the NC1, it's like the weight almost disappear, the front motors works brilliant making the car behave in turn-in like it's half the weight - the mass is just gone - with a natural feeling to steering and braking. The only time I really feel the weight are hard breaks after a long straight on a race track.

OTOH the hybrid is the raison d'etre of the NSX - I can cruise silent when passing small villages, turn up the wick between them, go to Sport+ when really pushing it. Typically I save Track mode for autocrossing and track days.

I believe they kind of tried to have Michael B Jordan as a brand ambassador and that did not work out (lack of participation after receipt of his car?)

The drag times story is kind of fun. From the manufacturer's perspective you have someone who mods the cars (not great for Mclaren's warrantee book) and gets incredible 1/4 mile performance (likely does help sell cars). I do like that much of this guy's work is in a controlled environment. On the other hand he lost points with me when he went down to Puerto Rico and blocked roads and did borderline street racing there. I can see stuff like that tipping the balance from the manufacturer perspective away from support for such folks.

Dice, Thanks for your post. I think that your comments are right on target, and are very much the same as what I think/believe......

Back