• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How easy to remove cats?

How easy is it to remove the cats to replace with high flow or test pipes? I mean, after 21 years, are the bolts usually totally rusted and frozen from the heat and time to not be able to unscrew them? Can they usually be undone with a little elbow grease and PB Blaster to loosen them up??

Appreciate hearing about your experiences getting them off.

How easy is it to remove the cats to replace with high flow or test pipes? I mean, after 21 years, are the bolts usually totally rusted and frozen from the heat and time to not be able to unscrew them? Can they usually be undone with a little elbow grease and PB Blaster to loosen them up??

Appreciate hearing about your experiences getting them off.

I find that a small saucer of milk left near the rear tire will lure the cats out of my engine bay.

Be sure to let the pb blaster sit overnight or at least for several hours before hitting those nuts with a socket and breaker bar. Also if I recall, there are a couple that don't give you much swing space for your breaker bar or ratchet.

You still may find you need an impact driver but that depends on how much road salt your car has seen. If you end up breaking any of the studs on the cats don't worry. If you want to sell the cats or plan to reinstall them someday, you can order new studs for cheap and the old ones pound right out.

If you use stainless nuts and bolts on your test pipes be sure to apply some anti-seize or the nuts may eventually end up welded to the bolts.

Last edited:
PB blaster and to for a drive to heat them up before you remove them. Use a quality socket to remove them.

Half a can of PB blaster and a breaker bar is what I needed.

I coated the bolts twice in PB blaster them let sit overnight.

But to answer you question, yes you can do it yourself

You have to be really careful about removing the cats. They've been studying up.... :)

81677712.gif

Make sure to use a "6 Point" socket instead of a "12 Point" one. You will have less chance to knock the corners off of the rusted nuts with the "6 Point" socket.

Once you get the nuts off, wire brush the threads and be sure to put some anti-seize on the threads before reinstalling the nuts. I would replace the nuts too. They aren't very expensive, like $.34 ea.

It will make your life a lot easier next time you make the swap.

Brad

Make sure to use a "6 Point" socket instead of a "12 Point" one. You will have less chance to knock the corners off of the rusted nuts with the "6 Point" socket.

Once you get the nuts off, wire brush the threads and be sure to put some anti-seize on the threads before reinstalling the nuts. I would replace the nuts too. They aren't very expensive, like $.34 ea.

It will make your life a lot easier next time you make the swap.

Brad

Another good tip, thanks!

Back