• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

how long to install springs?

I would like know about how long it takes for a prof. mechanic to install a full set of springs on an nsx. I see in the FAQ do it yourself section that it takes 1.5hrs-2.5hrs front and back if I was inclined to do it myself (which I am not). I have received a quote from a local shop for about 8 hours. That seems excessive to me. Thanks.

I agree about four hours. Often times shops quote by a standard labor book which quote labor times, even if they can do it in less though.

moehr said:
I would like know about how long it takes for a prof. mechanic to install a full set of springs on an nsx. I see in the FAQ do it yourself section that it takes 1.5hrs-2.5hrs front and back if I was inclined to do it myself (which I am not). I have received a quote from a local shop for about 8 hours. That seems excessive to me. Thanks.

8 hours X $75 (average shop rate) = $600 labor to change springs

Wow, I think you should post the name of the shop.

If you're in the Northeast, I know plenty of competent shops that can do the job for you for far less than $600.00 :wink:

Please detail the quote, Does it include an alignment? I do agree it is way high, but let's understand exactly what the $800 represents:)

LarryB

thanks for the information everyone. The quote was only for the installation of the springs, and does not include an alignment. The shop is located here on key west, so I guess I should expect to get price gouged a little. I will shop around on some of the other keys or maybe up in miami. thanks again.

Did the job myself in just under 3 hours with hand tools and floor jack. Authorized dealer mechanic can certainly perform things in the same sort of timeframe to a max of 4 hours like others have stated. Confirm quantity of hours and what those hours represent from dealer. Do a quick multiple against their hourly shop rate and you should quickly find out where you're getting taken. JMO

you also need to do an alignment after springs are changed so figure an extra hour or so on top of that

I am in the process of having this done right now and every where in the DFW area that I called wanted 300-450 for the spring install, plus alignment.

I ultimately went to a guy in the middle at 382.00 plus alignment.

This was for HR springs.

I got a quote for R&R all four shocks (essentially same labour as doing springs). Best quote was 4 hrs R&R + 1 hr alignment. The other place quoted 5 hrs R&R and 2 hrs alignment.

Back