• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How Many Labor Hours For Clutch Replacement

Hi!! I was just wondering how many labor hours I should be charged for clutch replacement? I am getting service quotes around the area and do not want to get screwed. thanks

I'm being charged $750 labor for doing my clutch... among alllll the other stuff i'm doing!

$895 90k service

$1630.55 dali clutch & 7lb flywheel w/ bearings ($250 refund from Dali if the stock clutch is rebuildable)

$750 Labor for the clutch

$1500 timing belt/water pump (parts & labor)

$2100 rebuilt 5spd transmission w/ japanese short gears, and new synchros slightly used, ~800 miles

[This message has been edited by Electro (edited 02 May 2001).]

You should not be charged for multiple work. A clutch rebuild on it's own may take a certain amount of time and cost that much. However, that includes disassembly to get to it, the work, and reassembly. Since you are doing a number of other things in that area which will already have the tranny apart, it should reduce that amount considerably. They should only charge you in hours, not for a standard clutch job. That would be simply unnacceptable and if they try, don't stand for it.
You can't get charged for hours of labor that did not occur.

Originally posted by ilya:
You can't get charged for hours of labor that did not occur.

Clearly, you've never worked in a law firm
biggrin.gif

-Bob

I had my clutch replaced a couple of weeks ago, the initial estimate was $590 for the labor only (for a 9hr job!) I ended up paying more than that, additional charges included $99 for a 4 wheel alignment.

I think the service manager was trying to do me good then realized he wasn't covering his costs and needed to add the additional labor cost, total amount for the clutch work was $780.

------------------
johne
1992 NSX Blk/Blk
1995 NSX-T Blk/Blk

I think most labor rates for the NSX are pretty accurate. I have known other shops to work on other types of vehicles and if they quote 3 hours from the book and it only takes 1 1/2 hours to complete, you STILL get charged for 3 hours of labor. They probably justify this for the jobs that end up taking longer than the book indicated and ended up losing money on the job.
wink.gif

Originally posted by Chris W:
if they quote 3 hours from the book and it only takes 1 1/2 hours to complete, you STILL get charged for 3 hours of labor.

That's how the 'book' cost system is supposed to work. It rewards experienced (faster) mechanics, who then make more money, and underpays inexperienced (slower) mechanics. That way shops don't have to work out complex sliding pay scales for mechanics of different abilities.

Back