• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How many miles out of S0-3 tires?

I know there are quite a few posts on this, and everyone all say about the same amount (anywhere from 8k-15k miles). But has anyone ever gotten 8k miles out of their S0-3 tires and have them looking like this? http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=278303

I don't know what kind of driving the guy did on them, and I didn't see that he said he did any type of 'racing' on them but that seems to look a little bit excessive for 'normal driving' tire wear. Probably likes to hot-rod the car around and do donuts or something :tongue:

on my evo8 I had them for about 12K miles with hard launching (burn outs), 1 track day, canyon drive, multiple e-brake slides, and general daily driving. These are nice tires for daily driving, they suck on the track.

Got me tires changed last week (S-03), they looked worse then that, had about 7k miles on them.

This is a tough question to answer...so many variables.
1. How aggressively you drive (take them on the track?)
2. Weather - heat
3. Alignment settings
4. Tire Pressure
I'm sure there are more.......

Just know that they are among the best street tires you can put on your NSX and enjoy the ride.

I second DutchBlackNsx's comment. The cords began to show on mine after ~ 7500 miles.

DONYMO said:
This is a tough question to answer...so many variables.

I realize that there are a lot of variables, but I was just seeing for the most part what people who run the S0-3 tires had to say after some relatively 'regular driving' to get that kind of tread wear after 8000 miles. I'm personally running on the Falken GR Beta FK451 tires (zero complaints so far in both the rain and dry weather) but I've put a good 6000 miles on them already and they seriously look like I still have about 90% of the tread left on the rear tires. And that's with just daily driving with very little to no tire spinning. With that analogy, I know the S0-3 tires are a great tire but for what I, or some of us, might use the car for, they seem like a waste of money if they're going to wear down that fast with the same type of driving. Not really a concern, but just something I was thinking about.

lets see, I have burnt out of them several times, race all the time, been up to 163mph with them, raced on the track with them, went off roading with them, and did many power over drifts with them, they are great for sliding but they are not that Grippy. I also have taken these tires to the hottest place on earth... or close to it - Death Valley last summer and drove it to vegas without a problem. I have driven in rain, burning asphault and more and these tires have been pretty good to me. just my advice - I can say I have pushed the limits of the s03, but their price is just too expensive, go with Toyo RA1 for summer use.

Last edited:
JDM NSX said:
I can say I have pushed the limits of the s03, but their price is just too expensive, go with Toyo RA1 for summer use.
You're recommending a track tire for street use? And doing so in order to save money? :confused:

nsxtasy said:
You're recommending a track tire for street use? And doing so in order to save money? :confused:

I am saying that if you are more performance oriented, go Toyo RA1 as they last about the same for aggressive driving than S03. If you are just driving on the street s03 is just fine, but I would still keep my options open, its not all that its hyped up to be. *sorry for not clarifying.

JDM NSX said:
I am saying that if you are more performance oriented, go Toyo RA1 as they last about the same for aggressive driving than S03. If you are just driving on the street s03 is just fine, but I would still keep my options open, its not all that its hyped up to be. *sorry for not clarifying.

How is that possible when one has like 200 or so treadwear and the other has about 40?

x

JDM NSX said:
just my advice - I can say I have pushed the limits of the s03, but their price is just too expensive, go with Toyo RA1 for summer use.
That advice may have some sense for Orange County/Ca. if it doesn't rain there in the summer. But if it does you are much safer with the Bridgestones.

What I found out is that the S-03 lives a bit longer than the previous SO-02 with the downside of a bit less dry grip (at least on the track). In the wet they are both great.

But I'm still puzzled how you guys manage to drive so many miles with a set of rear tires. The SO-02s lasted about 4000 kilometers on my car - the S-03 around 5000 (without track use when the car was still street legal) - the front tires did about double the km. Maybe I was a bit too aggressive with the car and tires.... :biggrin:

VBNSX said:
How is that possible when one has like 200 or so treadwear and the other has about 40?
Although tire treadwear ratings are not comparable between brands, I'm pretty confident in predicting that track tires like the RA-1 will only get somewhere between one fourth and one half the number of miles as street tires. My Yokohama A032R track tires lasted for 1000 to 1500 miles. I haven't yet used up a set of RA-1 track tires, but so far, it doesn't appear that they will be any different. The rapid treadwear makes them unsuitable for street use. It doesn't mean you couldn't; it just means that it's not very cost-effective.

Back