• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How much for an Oil Change?

Just curious. I got mine done last week and Id like to know what others are paying.

I brought my own oil and filter, but what are you guys paying?

Acura West London - $60 with regular oil; $90 with synthetic. (That's with them supplying the oil etc).

Last edited:
$60 oil and filter supplied by me. I use Mobil 1.

Erin Mills

I supplied my own oil and filter. $125 labour, less the 20% discount, so $100.

I questioned the cost and was told that that is what they charge labour for NSXs.

And I remember similar amounts from the previous many changes they've done for me.

Well, I used to do it myself, and at my hourly wage I'd be about $425. :biggrin:

Erin Mills

I questioned the cost and was told that that is what they charge labour for NSXs.

And I remember similar amounts from the previous many changes they've done for me.

That's BS. What is there "NSX" hourly rate? Even if it's $125/hour there is no way it takes there tech an hour to do it.

I agree with Sean. That's quite high. Is their way to charge what they think you would pay. I think we need to address this with Erin Mills Acura. Our discounts are useless if they jack up their rates when they see our cars pulling in. I think all dealers (whether they admitted or not) have the tendency to arbitrary raise hourly when they see NSXs. Is unfortunate, but some dealers will do that if you don't challenge back. Always ask for their hourly before they start the work. On simplier things like oil change, do they really need an NSX tech to do the job? Unless you specifically ask for one. Then you are at their mercy.

What is the standard hourly for an NSX tech? $75? $90? $100? Should there be any difference with a standard tech? If so, how much? Yes, I agree they are probably better trained and skilled, but how much of a difference should there be when is just changing oil/filter?

An oil change in this car is not difficult. I would just find a good, competent mechanic to look after the mundane things for the car. Luckily here in Ottawa we have 2 places to go but most guys prefer one fellow by the name of Derek, who used to work at Acura and has a lot of the specialized tooling for the nsx. He charges $40 and a starbucks for the oil change!

Yes, Erin Mills charges $125/hr for Alan's time and an oil change is listed at 1hr (it includes a bunch of other things like checking pads, tires, blah blah blah)....

Brake fluid flush also listed as 1hr. That sounds more reasonable to me.

Anyways, Ive always been extremely happy with Alan's work and the way that Erin Mills treats me and my car. If an oil change is a rediculus price by $30 or $40 bucks, no sweat.

They give me free loaners even for tiny things like an oil change and will even rent me a car if the loaners are out, so it all evens out. And for most things, there's no way that Id bring my car to a non-NSX certified tech. So we have two choices, Erin Mills or Oakville.

Yes, Erin Mills charges $125/hr for Alan's time and an oil change is listed at 1hr (it includes a bunch of other things like checking pads, tires, blah blah blah)....

Brake fluid flush also listed as 1hr. That sounds more reasonable to me.

Anyways, Ive always been extremely happy with Alan's work and the way that Erin Mills treats me and my car. If an oil change is a rediculus price by $30 or $40 bucks, no sweat.

They give me free loaners even for tiny things like an oil change and will even rent me a car if the loaners are out, so it all evens out. And for most things, there's no way that Id bring my car to a non-NSX certified tech. So we have two choices, Erin Mills or Oakville.

I agree with all of the above, and I know the overhead will be higher at AM than Fairview Acura in KW or Acura West in London, but double the cost? The NSX tech in London is just as qualified and thorough.

What it comes down to is I'm sure I could have gotten cheaper oil changes but for me it was worth paying a little extra to have a NSX tech under the car keeping his eyes open. Even though he almost never found a problem, it bought me piece of mind.

What's the hourly rate at other places? Post discount, we are at $100/hr at Erin Mills.

Im still very happy at EM. Alan does a bunch of other stuff while my car is in there like bolting up the front lip (which takes a beating and sometimes saggs) and tightening up my supercharger belt.... no charge for that stuff.

I pay $60/hr, but the oil change was only like 30 mins. Most of my cost was on the Motul V300. $25/L, and we need 5L. Brake fluid change definitely needs 90mins to do it properly.

There is nothing more comforting than having a tech that knows your car inside and out. I guess in the end, that's what you are paying for. If they are servicing your car well, you will keep going back.

OEM filter, Mobile 1 full synthetic oil, top up on all fluids, full check on lights, tire pressure, etc. $96 incl. taxes at Super Lube. Been taking my car there for 7 years and NEVER had a problem. Oh wait, didn't realize you had to take it to a certified NSX dealer (who BTW charged $125 extra the first time to get some extra wood to be able to drive my lowered car up onto the lift). Not Rocket Science to do this and like any other car it's the oil and filter that are important, not who does it.

I do mine at my mechanic who use to be a Honda tech and has opened his own shop. I bring my own filter and oil and he only charges $25 for labour and also checks your brake pads and joints and leaks and fluid levels and also any other stuff you want him to check. His name is David feel free to call him. It is the lowest price I came across for a NSX oil change. :smile:

50 Silver Star BLVD
Unit 213
Scarborough, ON M1V 4W3
Telephone : 416-291-0770

My car was in Erin Mills last week for an oil change, transmission oil change, alignment and rear brakes (my pads). For the oil change portion, including synthetic oil and filter, they charged me $119.83 including discount. .5 hours was charged to labour. I can buy Mobil 1 for around $7.00 per litre plus $6 or $7 for a filter and crush washer so I could do my own service for about $50.00, however a full service history at the dealership is worth a lot should you want to sell your car (may never happen!) and you would hope that the tech would be checking underneath while your car is in the air.

Garrick tested his oil life with a lab test kit and found it less than 40% "used up" after a year, so it makes me wonder about how often we need to change oil, that said, once a year is good, when I do a regular "tech" to the car and have it checked over - Since EM does the tech for free when they do the oil change they aren't REALLY just charging you for the change, part of the cost is for the tech inspection - so I don't mind the $$$ - and $40 one way or the other is OK if he tweaks one extra item its covered - and they do have to earn a living.

You could always do what some of our clients do - "just top up" we've pulled some dipsticks out and there's a string of goop that comes up with them, like a black booger!:eek:

Just picked up some new oil filters (15400-PL2-505) for around $7 with the crush washer + Mobil 1 Synthetic $34. I change my oil myself so total is around ~$46.

Guys,The NSX Rate s $125.00 less our 20% discount, so it's $99.00. However, they should not have charge one Hour for the Job, it's a 1/2 hour job.

If you like I can discuss this with Paul, if you believe it is warranted.

I think if I negotiate a price for Oil chnages on NSX, most guys would not take their car to EM to get this done anyway. Once a year for a peace of mind is not to bad IMO.

Let me know what you guys think.

Bram

Erin Mills

The cost of the oil and filter. A nominal $30-35 depending on the store purchased at.

Back